General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Ladies...lets talk hair Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-26 7:24 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: So Ladies...lets talk hair
This could be applicable to some dudes as well. I've got pretty long hair, and my go-to has always been to put a really tight bun at the lower-back of my head, below where a helmet would be. I have read that a braid is more aerodynamic and by the run, the bun typically comes loose and due to it being soaked with water, proceeds to womp, womp womp be on the back of the neck on the run. I've been having my wife braid it on my long rides (which include a run off the bike) and I dig it. Plus I'll take any aero advantage I can get. Here's my concern....what do you do with it during the swim? I'm guessing just wrap it up under the cap? I've got a sprint coming up next Saturday and I'm planning on going braid. It's a 300 meter pool swim, so even if all hell breaks loose, I only plan on being in the water about 3 and a half minutes.

So, what do you do with your hair? Any bits of wisdom or advice? Things to look out for? Braid vs bun?

PS...for the expected "cut it" response...no dice, the wife digs it. Plus, growing up is for suckers.

2016-03-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Subject: RE: So Ladies...lets talk hair
Braid for sure! French braid(s) are the most secure but I am not that talented so I roll with just a single braid down the back. During the swim I wear my goggles under my cap and the braid will get tucked under one of the straps so it doesn't fall out of the cap while in the water.

Hope that helps
2016-03-26 10:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Mine never got quite long enough to do anything with though was close. Some guys will use a headband. Either wide or narrow banded one. Not sure about in the water. I could just tuck it in the cap ok. Women seem to be short ponytail or braid it up and tight.

2016-03-27 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not from experience with my own hair (it's pretty uncontrollable at the best of times, even without salt water, sweat, chlorine, etc. so I've never had it longer than shoulder length and usually it barely clears my ears), but lots of putting up long hair for kids that I teach/coach (mostly girls; there have been a few boys, too): braid it, tie it off, and then put the braid under the swim cap. Even really long, thick hair (one Indian girl has a thick braid down to her waist), should fit if you coil it. Buns and ponytails are more likely to come undone; the latter's safer than the former, though.

Had to laugh as it reminded me of my last encounter with a guy with a braid. A lean, muscular "woman" with a long braid and about my height came flying by me at 25+ mph at a race last summer. There were a few pro women in the field, but couldn't figure out why they'd be behind me 20 km into an Oly bike. Decided it was either a former pro cyclist who'd drowned on the swim, or a pro woman who'd missed the start. It wasn't until after the race I realized that the mysterious "pro woman" was actually a shorter guy with a braid.
2016-03-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I used to have mega long hair and swim a lot. Best option French braid if you can. Then tuck the end up into your swim cap. This is actually how my DH wore his hair for our wedding.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-03-27 8:06 AM
2016-03-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Scottsdale, AZ
I have long and THICK hair that reaches my middle back. I've tried just about everything, including braids, but when my hair hits water it expands to 10x it's normal thickness and ends up still being an uncontrollable mess. Here's what I've settled on for most of my races (including IM last year).

Low pony tail with a tight elastic. Then every 1-2 inches, put another tight elastic. So you end up wrapping the hair 5-6x depending on how long it is. That way the elastic keeps each section under control, but it doesn't frizz out and only the last tail end part is what gets a little messy.

For the swim I put my goggles on, then my cap. then I shove the end of the pony tail up under the low part and tuck it in. Never had a problem with it coming out.

2016-03-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not from experience with my own hair (it's pretty uncontrollable at the best of times, even without salt water, sweat, chlorine, etc. so I've never had it longer than shoulder length and usually it barely clears my ears), but lots of putting up long hair for kids that I teach/coach (mostly girls; there have been a few boys, too): braid it, tie it off, and then put the braid under the swim cap. Even really long, thick hair (one Indian girl has a thick braid down to her waist), should fit if you coil it. Buns and ponytails are more likely to come undone; the latter's safer than the former, though.

Had to laugh as it reminded me of my last encounter with a guy with a braid. A lean, muscular "woman" with a long braid and about my height came flying by me at 25+ mph at a race last summer. There were a few pro women in the field, but couldn't figure out why they'd be behind me 20 km into an Oly bike. Decided it was either a former pro cyclist who'd drowned on the swim, or a pro woman who'd missed the start. It wasn't until after the race I realized that the mysterious "pro woman" was actually a shorter guy with a braid.

It was a really nice day yesterday and everyone and their brother was out riding. There are lots of affluent suburbs around so this weather brings big pelotons of guys named Fred on super nice bikes, in full matching kits, but all trucking along at 16-17 mph. I'm not yet that fast, but doing my long ride yesterday at 21-22 mph ave I was passing them pretty quickly. After passing the third one I realized that all they probably caught a glimpse of was my long braided pony tail going by. I'm sure they all thought they had been chicked.
2016-03-27 11:29 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everyone for your advice. I was concerned about it coming out the back of the swim cap, but it doesn't sound like that's a problem.

To say my hair is thick and unruly is an understatement.....

(Hair.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Hair.PNG (312KB - 10 downloads)
2017-03-18 9:13 AM

User image

, British Columbia
Old topic. But I open season and have long hair also.
Braids for sure. For swimming pool I do two dutch braids http://newaylook.com/best-two-dutch-braids-styles/, one at each shoulder, tied off at both the top & bottom - i.e. make two low ponytails first, secure with elastic, then braid & secure the braid at the bottom. Completely saturate with water before you get in the pool. When you get in the shower, take out each braid while holding it under the flow of water. This will cut down majorly on tangles.

(tipsaholic-beach-cornrows-daily-hairstyles-500x416.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tipsaholic-beach-cornrows-daily-hairstyles-500x416.jpg (41KB - 15 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Ladies...lets talk hair Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ladies: long hair question

Started by Invigilator
Views: 1772 Posts: 24

2008-03-27 11:17 AM christyr1978

Ladies, Hair Help ?

Started by newby4
Views: 728 Posts: 3

2007-08-25 5:34 PM puellasolis

For the Ladies-Ponytail or Short hair? Pages: 1 2

Started by CYCLISTtuRUNsTRI
Views: 2947 Posts: 42

2007-08-20 2:17 PM BbMoozer

Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR Pages: 1 2

Started by CarenM
Views: 2373 Posts: 38

2006-07-21 7:40 AM justalittletri

ladies--long hair question.

Started by FitMama
Views: 1122 Posts: 17

2004-08-10 12:25 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
comments : 0
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!