I Tri Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 35s
Overall Rank = 39/83
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. PB Sandwich and Water. Checked the weather. Whooping 46 F. Yikes. Left house a little before 5am. Got there as one of the first ones a little before 5:30. Transition officially opened at 5:30. Got out of the car and it was chilly. Thought a couple of times about if it really was that good of an idea to do this while it is this cold, but than told my brain to stop being a baby. Transition was open racking and I was able to find and outside slot with plenty of room where I didn't have to worry about knocking stuff over during transition. Laid out a long sleeve for the bike as it didn't seem like it would be much more than low 50s on the bike.
Swim
  • 04m 39s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Outside Pool swim. Was wearing a long sleeve until they told us to line up for the start. Once in line it was shiver time. It had barely warmed up to about 50 and the sun was just about to rise. Only good part I ran into a buddy from last years Master Swim class and at least could kill the waiting time by chatting.
After about 10 to 15 minutes it was my time. I figured water would be nice as it was warmer than outside temperature, but boy was I wrong. First 10 to 15 meters were ok, than I guess my body realized how cold the water really was. For a second I thought about getting right back out of the water, but shoved that thought aside and kept moving. Considering that I hadn't swim much, this actually went pretty well and at the 75 meter I passed the person ahead of me. Somewhere between there and 125 I got some water in my left ear and I guess because it was so cold it was messing with my balance. So I stopped at 125 for a short moment and shake out the water. Smooth swimming after that. Climbed out of the pool ok and off to Transition
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Haven't swam much since November and of course the cold water was brutal though it didn't affect me as bad as some other people I talked to later that said they had a hard time breathing
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

This one sucked big time, as it took me way too long to put the long sleeve shirt on. Not quite sure how to fix this going forward as there's probably only one or two races a year where that's necessary. Anyhow, getting my arms into the sleeves was a nightmare and putting on the long sleeve shirt probably took a full minute here. Everything else was fine, besides having ice cold hands.

Need to figure something out with the long sleeves.
Bike
  • 26m 48s
  • 8 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Took it easy on the bike due to my glutes still having issues. Passed a few people and didn't get passed by anyone during the bike at all. Could have gone faster, but didn't know what it would have done to my run or my glutes so I think this was as good as it could get on that day.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Took some time and drank some water. Also took a few seconds longer to get the long sleeve back off. Tying shoes was ok besides the cold fingers.

Need to check on the quick tie laces again. I've tried it twice before on practice and they don't seem to stay tight for me and I don't like running with the shoe to loose.
Run
  • 20m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to take it easy here to and make sure I don't aggravate the glutes again. Overall under 10:00 minute pace is good for me especially since I hadn't run for a week and a half

Not get injured before the race
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and ate a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Glute issues not fully cured

Event comments:

Nice small little race in a quiet neighborhood. Liked the atmosphere. I found it interesting that my age group was the most occupied followed by the 40 to 44. Almost all other age groups only had 3 to 4 people. Seemed a little weird.

Last updated: 2016-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:39 | 200 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim with full lane available which was nice for passing.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:48 | 08 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Performance: Good
This was more like 8.2 miles
Wind: Some
Course: Neighborhood course with quite a few turns on the first part of the race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:48 | 02 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Performance: Good
Avg HR 171 which is where my LT is
Course: Nice mostly flat, Neighborhood run with a double loop through a park area. Turned out to be about 2.2 miles instead of 2 miles which through my pacing a little bit off
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-27 8:05 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Tri Color Super Sprint

2016-03-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: #5174022

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri Color Super Sprint
Sounds like a cold outing! You had me shivering from the 46 degree start. That is not uncommon at races in the Pacific Northwest even mid-summer. Think I would have become undone between that and the freezing water.

You might try a long-sleeve shirt with a partial front zip. Those are usually easier to get on if you leave them unzipped in transition, maybe with the sleeves rolled up, hanging over your bike or the transition rack. I have two that I have used for several northwest races. One is actually a surf shirt that I got in Hawaii. It goes on easily when I'm wet, and I can pull the zipper down if I start to get a bit too warm on the bike. I like to wear it on bike tours to prevent sunburn. It's comfortable from about mid-50's even on up to almost 80 (if just touring, not training or racing). For colder races, I have a light merino base layer pullover with a partial zip in front. That is a good layer for races if temps are in the high 40's/low 50's, or for training rides under a jacket.

I hear you about 45-49. That and 40-44 is one of the biggest age groups at most SE Asia races as well. Plus it's a fast one. I'm 46, and most of the time, to win my AG, I would have to be on the overall podium. In my last race there were over 200 women. I was fifth overall....and second in 45-49. The one before that, out of 150+ women, I DID podium overall (third)....and finished second in 45-49. Sigh. At least not to the same person twice.
2016-03-28 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have to agree with Karen, that is COLD!.  Also, zip front bike jersey or arm warmers. I actually have a pair of arm warmers that we made out of fleece leggings. Cut the legs off of them, sew in some elastic and bam, I have warm arms.  I need them so infrequently that i just couldn't see buying anything when they were easy enough to make.

I refer to the age group as the "Too much money and time, not enough brains" group. Easily one of the biggest AG's in nearly every race I do.

2016-03-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm just going to echo what Karen and Chris said - that is a cold race!  And zip front shirts should be easier to get on and then leave on for the run. Congratulations on having a great race in trying weather! And I'm happy you didn't re-aggravate your injury.   

2016-03-28 9:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That is one chilly tri!  Sounds like you raced as well as possible considering your glute issue, and wisely raced with some common sense to keep them from getting injured worse.  Nice work!  Here's hoping your next race is warmer

2016-03-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Katy, Texas
Nice race Markus, and way to push through when you thought of quitting!

2016-03-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Nice race and way to gut it out!

Matt

2016-03-29 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice job out there! 

2016-03-29 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Brrrr-chilly! I'm glad your injury didn't give you too many problems. Way to go!
2016-03-30 5:59 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Glad you survived the cold. The 40-44 and 45-50 groups are the biggest in all the races here too. I guess they are the groups with the $$$ and time to race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Color Super Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Color Super Sprint

Started by Maniton
Views: 1443 Posts: 1

2014-04-19 10:00 PM Maniton

TRI Mini-Sprint Triathlon (formerly Autumn Colors)

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2011-08-29 1:01 PM dtrimmer

WKU Tri Topper Super Sprint

Started by dm26tg1
Views: 645 Posts: 1

2008-04-27 5:20 PM dm26tg1

WKU Tri Topper Super Sprint

Started by dm26tg1
Views: 923 Posts: 2

2008-03-30 8:12 PM davealt

Lakeside Give-It-A-Tri (Super sprint)

Started by actri
Views: 968 Posts: 2

2006-06-15 12:38 PM watergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
comments : 0
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?