United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 29s
Overall Rank = 95/744
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/53
Pre-race routine:

Walked the dog then drove to get Susan then drove the hour to the race site.
Event warmup:

walking from and to the car 4 times as we had to pick up our packets and then drop it off back at the car.
Run
  • 1h 52m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my second time running this race. The first time was the inaugural 2 years ago. I ran a PR by about 10 seconds. So, when we decided to run it again, I said I wanted another PR. The course is obviously a fast one despite having to cross the causeway 2 x and having about 4 miles of trail. I've never targeted a race for a PR before and certainly have never articulated my quest for one before, but I did for this one in the hopes it would keep me on the training track.

About 6 weeks ago I thought I was on track in my training, but then things kind of took a bad turn. Not horrible, but I wasn't doing the work I thought I really needed. Mainly, I been racing so many shorter races I didn't feel like I was getting the long miles in, but I was still hopeful.

Of course. the weather got hot and humid and there was a severe weather threat the morning of the run. This was deja vu as the last time we raced Tomoka it was storming right up to the time we arrived at the site, stayed hot and humid for the HM and then started storming again, causing the marathoners and volunteers some real trouble!

We got to the race site later than we normally do and, since we still had to pick up our packets, had to hustle a bit. I made it to the start with about 3 minutes to spare!
My goal was to run a 1:51:xx. I didn't care what the seconds were, but really wanted the 51. I could still get a PR with a 52, but it would be close. So, I decided to run keeping the 1:50 pace group in my sight while trying to keep my miles at 8:30.
The first mile was right on pace! That even included the causeway crossing! The next couple of miles were 8:24s. So, I was feeling pretty good about things. It was a bit odd trying to check my pace during the miles as this is not something I ever do. Normally, I run as hard as I feel I can run without blowing up. If I've got something left with a few miles to go, I pick up the pace. So, trying to ensure I was staying right on pace was hard. Plus, I don't think my watch was a good cooperator:) Every time I looked at it I saw a different pace and then the mile would register something else!

I am not a big drinker during a race. In fact, I normally only take water a max of 2x during a HM. I don't take any nutrition. But, I was thirsty to start the race and it was hot and humid, so I took water about 4x. I tried to take it another time, but there was a passing error and the cup fell to the ground :( Despite the thirst and the weather, I was feeling pretty good. I am lucky that the heat doesn't affect me too badly. I felt it, but it didn't bother me too much. My left hamstring has been an issue lately and it did cause me to alter my stride from time to time. It was annoying, but it wasn't anything I couldn't deal with.
The first half of the race went exactly as I wanted. I was on pace and the 1:50 group was right where I thought they should be. Then we hit the trail portion and I found myself slowing down. At one point I looked at my watch and saw 9:15! Yikes! I had to shake myself out of my slump and pick up the pace!! The mile with the 9:15 was my slowest at 8:45. Damn. But, I picked things up and seemed to be getting back on track.
Finally, I was out of the trail and back on the road heading for home! Not too long after that - at about mile 8.5, my phone rang. Yes, my phone. I am on call for work, so I had to run with my phone. Getting a call Saturday morning is a pretty rare thing, but of course I got one today.
Ugh. Nothing to do, but answer it. So, I slowed to almost a walk and said "hello". I was panting -of course, so I had to tell the comm center operator that I was running. I didn't want her to get any funny ideas :) She laughed and we discussed that I was in the middle of a HM. She apologized, but I told her no worries, I was on call, so go ahead and put the detective through. She did and I handled the call. Of course, as I was on the call, the runners heading in the other direction all had a good laugh at me! I also had about 3 women pass me. Rats! The call was not too terribly long and I did keep running -albeit more slowly, so I didn't feel too horribly about it.

After the call, I tried to pick up the pace and make up time. It took awhile, but I finally caught and passed 2 of the 3 women who passed me. The 3d woman was flying! No chance I could catch her. I also passed 3 other women. My miles -unfortunately, were now 8:35s, so I was slowing down. And, I still had the causeway to cross in the last mile. Each time I checked my pace I was about 8:15, but somehow the mile pace was always about 8:35!! In the final 2 miles I tried doing the math and realized it was going to be very close. I still had a chance to get to 1:51:something, but I would have to pick things up just a bit.
The causeway came and I was moving pretty good. I even passed a couple of people. But pretty soon I was brought to the brink of puking, so I had to back things off a bit as I decided puking would slow me down even more! I was still running with the puke feeling right at the edge, but not at "oh yeah it;s happening" as I was before easing up a bit.
Then I was at the top and then heading down! woo hoo! The end was near! Of course, the way the course is set up, the finish is to your right just as you hit the bottom of the causeway. Too bad it is across the street, so you are directed left and around a bit, so you eventually run under the causeway before coming into the finish area. It is a cruel course! On the way down the causeway I picked things up and ran as fast as I could. I have no idea of my pace. I tired to keep this up for that final probably .25-.30 push to the finish. I think I got under 8 at one point.

Crossed the finish and looked at my watch. 1:52. What were the seconds? I had no idea. I would not know if I had a PR until the official times came out.

PR! By just over 7 seconds!! I didn't get the 1:51:x that I wanted, but I did get a PR. Yay! I wonder if I could have had the 51 without the call. Who knows. Maybe having that little break kept me from completely blowing up. It's a bit frustrating, but a PR is a PR so I can't complain. And I got 3d in my AG, so all in all a good race!!.
What would you do differently?:

not be on call!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and a beer and walked back to the car.

Last updated: 2016-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:29 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/744
Performance:
Course: A little trip through a beach neighborhood, then over the intracoastal causeway then north for about 6 miles before returning.About 4 miles were on hard packed sand in a state park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-03-28 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Tomoka Half Marathon

2016-03-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5174163

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tomoka Half Marathon
Nice job on the PR despite taking a call! I bet the other runners were giving you some looks
2016-03-28 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job, congrats on the PR.  No matter what it looked like or how you got there, it is still a PR! You may want to add the short late race slowdown to your bag of tricks, maybe it helped!

2016-03-28 12:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh my gosh, woman!  Taking a work call during a race and still PR-ing, wow!!  BIG congrats on the new record and congrats on not puking, that surely would've slowed you down.  Congrats on the 3rd AG, too, speedy girl!

2016-03-29 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations on the PR!  YOU ROCK!

2016-03-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks all!

2016-03-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Whoop whoop: PR! Nice one.
2016-03-29 9:34 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I don't know that there are too many people who could take a work call in the middle of a HM and STILL get a PR!  

Congratulations!! That is pretty cool!

2016-03-30 6:07 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well done star that you are for being able to run and talk at the same time.
2016-04-04 3:33 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
This race report is awesome! PR, Phone call, not puking, beer!!! Big congrats on a great race!! And you definitely would have gotten 1:51:xx without the call.
2016-04-05 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

PR + podium + no puke + WIN!!!!

Congrats and I apologize for LEO's everywhere who must disrupt the personal lives of counsel

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tomoka Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tomoka Half Marathon

Started by amd723
Views: 1494 Posts: 11

2014-04-09 8:31 AM IndoIronYanti

Island 2 Island Half Marathon (formerly MD Half Marathon)

Started by asgate99
Views: 1606 Posts: 1

2011-05-01 3:57 PM asgate99

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1644 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3057 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.