User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Training zones

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by eshine9 I'm using a calculation I read about on the USA Triathlon web site. www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/News/Blogs/Multisport-Lab/2016/February/22/How-to-Calculate-Your-Training-Zones I have found that during my running, I can stay within my 2-3 zone, but when I go up hill, I'm almost having to speed walk at this point. I have heard that even elite racers will walk to keep in the lower zones at times, if that is true, I'm fine with walking. The competitive side of me doesn't want to stop running, but I want to train appropriately. I don't want to mess up my opportunity to do well at my first 70.3.
This is one example of where training "like an elite" can benefit an age grouper. I realize this is in a way the opposite of what Ben is saying...but the reality is that without knowing all of yoru training history its pretty tough to suggest how to best continue making forward progress. if at some point you decided that you wanted to do most of your run training in zones 2 & 3, and now are finding that you can't run uphill outside of zone 3...IE you're in zone 4 or even *gasp* zone 5...what makes you want to then decide that running in zone 4/5 is what you should be doing instead? Competitive means what to you? who are you competing against when you go uphill over the HR zone you'd established for yourself? I'm not saying that you must adhere to lower HR zones when training, just asking some quesoitns that you can ask yourself to help gain confidence in what you've decided to do. I read a quote today that sounds like it fits...stick with one course of action to the end. IN this case, "to the end" may mean that you stop making consistent pace improvements when running in zone 3. Or keep up that run'walk pattern until you can run up the hill (not walk) in zone3. it will happen eventually. However, there are lots of different ways to train, adn maybe sprinting or jogging briskly up that hill is what will help you most right now. How do you know? The good news is that if you didnt' follow a plan before and now you're following ANY PLAN AT ALL...you'll probably improve. If youre improving, keep doing what youre doing until you're not improving. If you don't know whether or not your improving, the make a plan on your training calendar to test your current fitness appropriately and retest again. What's appropriate? if you're doing all zone 2/3 running you should probably do an efficiency test to establish a baseline rather than a 5k test. (but how do you set zones without doing a 5k test? ) You can do both. Do a 5k or 20min TT etst to set current zones. Train in those zones in whatever your plan suggests. If your goal is to train aerobically then do an aerobic test as well! restest your aerobic test and you'll see quick improvement. When you see improvement in the aerobic test, repeat the 5k test to see if you're zones have changed. Theres lots of ways to skin a cat. Mostly what others have said is true..be consistent, listen to your body. Don't compete with imaginary competitors, and dont confuse "run fast uphill" with a competitive spirit. A true competitive spirit is even more patient that it's desire to win.
I think the biggest limiter is not appropriate zone training right now but getting into a consistent routine of training. It's personally what I see with so many beginner triathletes, such as the case here. Second year, lack of consistency, etc. Zone training is added noise that at the time, might be too much outside of the simple, train as you feel method. With a fresh body with lots of low hanging fruit just going out, inducing a stress and adapting is all someone really needs. Later on you can incorporate zones, blocks, etc. Just my opinion with where this athlete is.

For me, this is one of the fun things about discussing training...two different experienced people coming at an issue from two different directions, and neither one is wrong.  They're both completely valid approaches.  Personally, my approach would be somewhere between the two.  I'd emphasize consistency in training for a few weeks using RPE, but wouldn't wait more than 3 or 4 weeks before I did some testing to begin to get a better handle on where the athlete's zones are.

Well they could both be wrong. Just saying ... 

LOL!  Yeah, I've seen quite a few threads where that's what I've thought about the responses...

2016-04-11 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5174669

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Training zones
My comments were intended to be more about meta cognition...helping the OP learn a few ways to think about training, as opposed to a prescription or recommendation of how to train.

RPE is my favorite metric of all time because in the end, even with power, that's the main input for racing whether athletes are conscious of it.

I would generally do what Don suggested, and Ben too, regarding adding consistency. but again without knowing the athlete, it's hard to give specific advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training zones Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones?

Started by nickwisconsin
Views: 2018 Posts: 5

2011-01-03 8:03 AM jmcconne

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2508 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

training zone question Pages: 1 2

Started by hangloose
Views: 2075 Posts: 30

2006-01-21 12:56 PM jknapman

Prefered training zone for Triathlons?

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 652 Posts: 5

2006-01-11 3:26 PM amiine

What are the HR Training Zones

Started by saunaking
Views: 771 Posts: 3

2005-06-09 1:58 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : September 6, 2011
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.