General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 920xt for Triathlon with Pool Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-31 9:36 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Garmin 920xt for Triathlon with Pool Swim
Anyone know if there is a way to use the Garmin 920xt in triathlon mode for a pool swim? I didn't see anything in the settings menu.

2016-03-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Garmin 920xt for Triathlon with Pool Swim

just put it in triathlon mode and use it normally........ P

2016-04-01 1:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have the exact same issue with the fenix 2, you can't put "pool mode" on for the first leg of a multi-sport workout.

I've decided to use "other" instead, so it will act as a timer with odd gps data :p , but I will not get my swim metrics like time/strokes per lap etc. but at least I will know how much race time has gone by.

I can only assume that it's because pool mode does not use gps, and the rest of the triathlon does, and the multisport modes rely on gps specifically, just a matter of how you want to see the data? idk
2016-04-01 6:57 AM

User image

Yes its possible, I have mine setup to use ; swim pool - Bike outside and run outside. The GPS dont activate until im on the bike, and using the 920xt its really fast. We have a local tri that have the swim in a pool which makes this perfect. I setup the multisport to use the pool swim activity as the first sport.
2016-04-01 7:59 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by dfquigley I have the exact same issue with the fenix 2, you can't put "pool mode" on for the first leg of a multi-sport workout. I've decided to use "other" instead, so it will act as a timer with odd gps data :p , but I will not get my swim metrics like time/strokes per lap etc. but at least I will know how much race time has gone by. I can only assume that it's because pool mode does not use gps, and the rest of the triathlon does, and the multisport modes rely on gps specifically, just a matter of how you want to see the data? idk

If it works like the 910, you can use pool mode with auto multisport.  The trick is to first put it in swimming mode, setting it for the pool you're going to race in (25 yd, 25m, 50 m), then recording a short file in that mode.  Clear the workout, and set it to multisport, selecting "pool swim" as the first leg.  Also, connect to satellites outside of the pool before the race.  I've done it many times with the 910.  Hopefully, they didn't take a step backwards by removing the functionality with the 920 and Fenix.

2016-04-03 8:49 AM

Norfolk, Virginia
Yes, the watch is designed to do this. Make a new Activity Profile (called Pool Triathlon or something similar) and make pool swim the first activity. I just did a triathlon with pool swim yesterday with this watch and it worked perfectly.

2016-04-03 11:04 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
So far I haven't been able to see a way to do this with the fenix 2 ( and DC RAinmaker says it can't be done, so unless he missed something, I might be SOL )

If anyone with a fenix 2 has figured it out ( or it's been updated since with a workaround ) for the fenix 2 specifically, that would be fantastic, I've got a sprint in 4 weeks with a pool swim!
2016-04-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: ulf.lundh

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ulf.lundh

Yes its possible, I have mine setup to use ; swim pool - Bike outside and run outside. The GPS dont activate until im on the bike, and using the 920xt its really fast. We have a local tri that have the swim in a pool which makes this perfect. I setup the multisport to use the pool swim activity as the first sport.

This is what I ended up doing, but something went wrong at the race, I'm still not sure what. I hit start when I began swimming, then when I hit lap at the end of the swim, it was still on the opening screen. There was a big backup on the swim and everyone was running into each other due to a (I'll just say "athlete" instead of what I'd like to call him) who decided so seat himself 3rd when he should be been somewhere well back in the MOP...anyway, there was a lot of scuffling going on with everyone running into each other and I think my watch buttons got hit (I remember hearing beeping a couple of times). Long story short; the whole multi sport thing went right out the window. I reset the watch and just put it in bike mode running to T1, then out of T2, I saved the workout, put it in run mode and started it again while beginning my run. It cut off the beginning of each while it looked for satellite signal, and had the unfortunate side effect that, since I hit start before it locked on to GPS, it calculated my averages with that time being at 0 mph, for both the bike and the run. So when I looked at my average times, they were lower than what I actually averaged. It showed me at 22.5 mph on the bike when it was actually 23 and at a 6:31, when it was actually 6:27. Nothing major, but all in all, it was a fiasco. If I had it to do again, I'd just turn it on after the swim, and track the bike and run.

So my two big take aways are: don't hit start until after the GPS signal has locked and I should have tried it out before the race....what is that they say about new things on race day?
2016-04-14 4:26 AM

User image

These things happened to me also when i was learning the watch. When getting out of the water everything is chaos around you and in your head. After a couple of tri'(e)s you just do it without thinking. The Lap Button just becomes second nature :D . I never accidentally bumped the buttons on my 920xt but lots of times i just pressed the wrong button.
2017-06-24 2:02 PM

Select Menu, scroll down to Settings/Activity Profiles/Add New/Multisport/Custom (Call it what you want) Then select profiles First Pool Swim, then Bike Then Run and you're done with a new activity starting with a pool swim.
2017-06-26 1:11 PM
in reply to: wota

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Exactly what I did... I called it Triathlon(Pool). So I have a multisport for Open water and Pool now... remember to set the correct distance for the pool.

2019-07-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

I had same question - no one actually puts in how - just they did it - here is how I set up the watch for my sprint Tri with indoor swim and you can modify the Triathlon setting every time you change swimming venue to match your needs.

Settings > Activity Profile > Triathlon > Edit profiles > Profile 1 > Enter > Change > Pool Swim > Enter.

Then set the pool size when you select the Triathlon (before starting it) by holding the triple dots key for 2-3 seconds and arrow up or down to select pools size. Save it.

when you start your Triathlon, it will start in pool mode, then when you hit "Lap" it will go to transition 1 and during transition 1 it will search for GPS.
All set, great luck in all our Triathlons.

Edited by KRyder727 2019-07-20 2:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 920xt for Triathlon with Pool Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

920XT; Garmin 510 "during a tri" Questions

Started by nc452010
Views: 2059 Posts: 13

2016-02-18 1:13 AM AdventureBear

Garmin 920xt or Polar V800?

Started by endriumili
Views: 1981 Posts: 12

2015-08-18 12:09 PM morey000

Garmin 920xt vs Polar V800

Started by luv2bhealthy
Views: 12013 Posts: 25

2015-07-13 8:43 AM darkpath

Garmin 920XT ordering question

Started by pbeckman
Views: 1579 Posts: 3

2014-10-31 12:00 PM pbeckman

Garmin 305 & pool swim sprint tri.

Started by Danno77
Views: 1119 Posts: 4

2012-05-25 1:56 PM Danno77
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.