General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon - Transition Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-04 5:50 PM

Subject: First Triathlon - Transition Question
Hey all, so I am getting ready for my first triathlon which is a local sprint involving a pool swim. I am currently using a Garmin 910xt to track my training. I wanted to wear it during my swim mostly just for timing/pacing purposes and then was thinking of moving it to my bike in T1. I don't have a quick release and all I have is the rubber handle bar mount. Do you think it would be a waste of time to fiddle with trying to mount it on that vs just keeping it on my wrist. Clearly it wouldn't be as convenient for the bike portion to be able to see my HR and speed.

2016-04-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: First Triathlon - Transition Question
If you're riding a TT bike, you can turn the watch face inward (inside of your wrist) and it's easier to see (when you're in aero position).

Just a thought.
2016-04-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: #5175357

Are you going to be looking at the watch while swimming for pacing? Seems a bit inefficient. I would just leave it on the bike.
2016-04-04 9:23 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

Just riding a regular road bike so no aero position.

I would like wear it during the swim because i wouldnt mind having some of the data at the end of the race, but i would probably wnt to take a quick peak at it after each of my 100s to be sure I am on my planned pace - again this is my first race and I on,y just started swimming for distance and time a few months ago (grew up swimming but just for fun) so I wont be just swimming the whole distance in one continuous effort.

Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to making the jump into tris
2016-04-04 10:18 PM

User image

Leave it on your wrist. You'll be able to look during the bike. Practice a few times to see if it works for you on the bike. I don't love using my 910 on the bike vs a computer but it's doable. Have fun in your first race
2016-04-05 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Personally I'd leave it on the bike as well. Pool swims all are typically less than 400 units, so at most you are going to get three opportunities to see the split.

If you are going to check your pace after each 100 (which may annoy the swimmer behind you because you keep stopping, but that is their issue I guess), what are you going to do with the information? If you are ahead of pace are you going to slow down, even if you are feeling great? Conversely, if you are lagging behind pace and hurting, are you going to try to speed up more? In both cases I would say no. If the feedback isn't giving you useful information in real-time, then it isn't a helpful feedback and has become a distraction instead.

The same thought goes for wanting the swim split once you are done. If it is faster than you expected, are you going to bike or run more passively? Of course not. If the split is slow, are you going to then go pound on your bike to make up the lost time? That's not a great idea either. Every race I've done has splits by event, so it's not like you will never know your swim split (although I will admit that some races combine T1 in there a little, which can throw the number off).

Information is great, but ESPECIALLY in your first race make sure that you aren't overly complicating things. Mount the watch on your bike mount before the race and enjoy your swim

2016-04-05 9:25 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, great points Cyclone. I think I will just try seeing if it is annoying to keep it on my wrist while biking (then I wouldn't need to remove it in T2) and if it is then I'll just leave it on the bike like you guys mentioned.
2016-04-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Personally I'd leave it on the bike as well. Pool swims all are typically less than 400 units, so at most you are going to get three opportunities to see the split.

If you are going to check your pace after each 100 (which may annoy the swimmer behind you because you keep stopping, but that is their issue I guess), what are you going to do with the information? If you are ahead of pace are you going to slow down, even if you are feeling great? Conversely, if you are lagging behind pace and hurting, are you going to try to speed up more? In both cases I would say no. If the feedback isn't giving you useful information in real-time, then it isn't a helpful feedback and has become a distraction instead.

The same thought goes for wanting the swim split once you are done. If it is faster than you expected, are you going to bike or run more passively? Of course not. If the split is slow, are you going to then go pound on your bike to make up the lost time? That's not a great idea either. Every race I've done has splits by event, so it's not like you will never know your swim split (although I will admit that some races combine T1 in there a little, which can throw the number off).

Information is great, but ESPECIALLY in your first race make sure that you aren't overly complicating things. Mount the watch on your bike mount before the race and enjoy your swim

I have to agree with you.
Don't complicate things. It's your first race, don't focus on things that are not really that important. Try to enjoy as much as you can. Because if you catch the bug, you will have more extreme sports ahead of you
Trust me, it is not that hard to look at the watch during bike ride.
2016-04-05 3:45 PM

User image

One other thought from my embarrassing goof. I'm sure you're on top of the Garmin, but if you're going to use it in multi-sport mode, make sure you know exactly how to operate it ! I thought I did, but didn't practice it enough.... With all the stuff going on the day of my first tri, all the nerves and conversation in line with my friends, before I knew it I was next in line to go. When I got the go ahead, I pressed the wrong button to start multi-sport. So I sloooowly walked into the water like an idiot trying to figure out how to get it going. I finally gave up and dove in, but that was one frustration and distraction I didn't need right at the beginning. Forget about the data on the first one, just be in the moment and look around at the spectacle of determination and will around you. The timing chip will give you all the data you want to agonize over after it's done!
2016-04-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5175385

User image

Mojave Desert
Glad I wore mine for my last open water. Helped me understand my slow time. Turns out the bouys drifted and the mile turned into 1.25 miles. I spun it sound my wrist for the bike. Didn't read it much. Paced myself off others for the most part. Used it the most on the run.
2016-04-06 5:18 PM
in reply to: ktsdad

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Really appreciate it. I'll just strap it to my wrist and focus on the tasks at hand. Not gonna stress about something like that. I'll let you all know how I do lol.

2016-04-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: ktsdad

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I've worn my 910 on my wrist for all of my races for a couple of years and I have no other bike computer. It's no big deal to see. You should be fine. Besides, first race I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon - Transition Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 3884 Posts: 5

2011-09-07 12:06 PM lisac957

First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions

Started by obx07
Views: 852 Posts: 7

2011-08-22 5:03 PM bikerchick2930

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1417 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

my first sprint triathlon - how will transitions work?

Started by whitebuoy
Views: 2055 Posts: 7

2009-08-17 10:34 AM JC5066

First triathlon - transition bags question

Started by Butcher
Views: 1408 Posts: 11

2007-07-17 8:47 PM tntexpres
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : May 16, 2005
author : brian1388
comments : 15
Someone said that I would have to change in the transition area after the pool. Well OK, but it was maybe 45 degrees that morning. Yuck, all just part of the experience.

date : April 3, 2005
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Go, go, go! All nerves gone with breath when I hit the water.