General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "no big name" carbon wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-04 9:52 PM

Subject: "no big name" carbon wheels
Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted. I wanted to hear from you if any has had any good/bad experience with the small brand carbon wheels. Im really looking forward to buying a set of race wheels, however right now im not prepared to drop 1k into them.

Has anyone tried the Superteam / Fastteam wheels on amazon? couldnt find many reviews there so i thought of trying here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C73MTPQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i1_...

Thank you very much!!!

All the best!

2016-04-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: svalenzuela

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: "no big name" carbon wheels
I'm interested as well... They also have a set of tri-spokes on amazon too... But Like most, I'm a little wary of them lol
2016-04-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by svalenzuela

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted. I wanted to hear from you if any has had any good/bad experience with the small brand carbon wheels. Im really looking forward to buying a set of race wheels, however right now im not prepared to drop 1k into them.

Has anyone tried the Superteam / Fastteam wheels on amazon? couldnt find many reviews there so i thought of trying here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C73MTPQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i1_...

Thank you very much!!!

All the best!

There are pages and pages and pages and pages of threads debating various Chinese carbon wheels. Many swear by them, many say they are death traps. Ironically, it seems like few in either camp actually OWN any.

At that price, they are knock offs of known brands and have not had any wind tunnel testing.

I elected to get a pair of Chinese carbon clinchers off amazon as well for approx. the same price (different brand, but same hubs), and am happy with them. I've only used them for a week pre race and a couple races, so they only have about 500 miles on them, so take that for what it's worth.

There are other brands out there you could look at... yoleo is popular, biaxing (sp?), etc.

Edited by davejustdave 2016-04-05 10:23 AM
2016-04-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I put about 6000 miles on a pair of Yoeleo 60mm carbon rims last year that I paid about $650 for (the set, delivered). In that time, I broke two spoke nipples on the rear wheel. Both nipples took about 15 minutes to replace. No issues at all with the rims, the braking surfaces, or the hubs.

I've had two mavic training rear wheels (aksium & ksyrium elite) in the last few years fail with flange failures where the spoke connects to the rear hub that were unrepairable. I think I had less than 400-miles on both of these wheels.

Seems to me that the "Chinese" wheels are much more popular in the road cycling world than they are in the tri community. My take on it is that the wheels I've seen and ridden are pretty decent wheels. No one seems interested in doing much tunnel testing of the no-name wheels. When you look at the geometry, it's hard to tell much difference between them and the competition. Based on this unscientific observation, I suspect you get +90% of the performance for around 25% of the cost. As a group, the tri community throw a lot of money around on gear. As a group, the roadies seem a little more cost conscious. Lots of guys in their 20s and 30s just looking to go fast, have a good time, and put the hurt on each other. Look around next time you're at a mid-week crit and you'll see about as many Chinese wheels as name brands.

2016-04-05 10:02 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

Awsome!, this is exactly what I was looking for. As you say, you could probably be a little more aero in proven wheels but for the price this seems the way to go for me, hahaha. Ill drop a pund or two of weight and make up for the lost aero from a branded wheel.

Just wanted to hear on experience from others regarding if they will fall apart 10 miles into a ride, haha.

I will also look into other road bike forums and see if I get more ideas. In case i pull the trigger Ill come back with feedback. From what I have read wheels are the best upgrade you can get but cannot spend that much money now.
2016-04-05 11:09 PM
in reply to: #5175400

Please do let us know how those fasteam wheel work if you get them! I went with the biaxiang 88 mm wheels but almost bought those fasteam ones instead.

2016-04-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by g_shotts

Based on this unscientific observation, I suspect you get +90% of the performance for around 25% of the cost.

I had a set of these:

Which I did some Chung testing on before I got rid of them and went back to my old aero wheels. From my baseline (32 spoke box rims) I pretty consistently found that these wheels tested (with a wheel cover) 0.5-1.0s/km faster than baseline. For comparison, my old wheels, which are pretty far removed from the best (Hed Alps - also with a wheel cover), test in the 1.5-2.0s/km faster than baseline.

Shane
2016-04-07 12:39 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

I had some 88mm clinchers from LightBicycle and they were OK. I buckled the front when hitting something in the road, I was a bit surprised that it buckled so easily, not sure, however, if something like a Zipp or Flo would also have buckled. Anyway the front was a bin job and I sold the rear. Was going to buy some more Chinese wheels, but had a look at the 2nd hand market and pick up a 1080/808 wheelset for $800 with very little use, so really I think the Chinese wheels are not worth the money if you take into consideration the 2nd hand market and resale value of the Chinese wheels. There are people still selling their 7 year old Zipps for decent money, 7 year old Chinese replicas would be worthless. Not saying don't buy Chinese, but possibly look at the 2nd hand market and consider resale vale, depreciation etc
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "no big name" carbon wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum

Started by Porfirio
Views: 3048 Posts: 22

2014-09-17 11:53 AM Donto

Can I use continental glue( not the carbon one) on carbon wheels

Started by Rover24
Views: 944 Posts: 2

2012-02-24 8:28 AM tech_geezer

Cheap carbon wheels with carbon spokes!

Started by funkyd04
Views: 3185 Posts: 22

2016-08-31 4:36 AM icarbonwheels

Carbon Carbon Carbon Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TwoRiversTri
Views: 4868 Posts: 59

2006-07-12 12:14 PM RedCorvette

Stage 3: Big Name Out of the Race- SPOILERS

Started by mnewton
Views: 843 Posts: 2

2006-07-04 11:26 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.