General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two more Aero Jacket Q's, please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-06 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Two more Aero Jacket Q's, please
1. Is securing (taping) the cover to the wheel - important?

2. I have a 1UP USA bike rack (I do not have to strap the wheel to the rack, at all). Is the cover on the wheel safe for traveling 75mph down the highway (I have a Toyota Tacoma and a 4.5 hr ride to my next tri).

Thank you.

2016-04-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Two more Aero Jacket Q's, please

Originally posted by nc452010 1. Is securing (taping) the cover to the wheel - important? 2. I have a 1UP USA bike rack (I do not have to strap the wheel to the rack, at all). Is the cover on the wheel safe for traveling 75mph down the highway (I have a Toyota Tacoma and a 4.5 hr ride to my next tri). Thank you.

1) I tape mine w/o the screws, so it's pretty important to me. 

2) I would take the covered wheel off and put on a trainer wheel for safety.  With that kind of rack, it should be fine with the cover, but I'd kill myself worrying about it.

2016-04-06 11:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by nc452010

1. Is securing (taping) the cover to the wheel - important?

2. I have a 1UP USA bike rack (I do not have to strap the wheel to the rack, at all). Is the cover on the wheel safe for traveling 75mph down the highway (I have a Toyota Tacoma and a 4.5 hr ride to my next tri).

Thank you.

As long as you bike is secure to your rack it is safe. I don't know what a 1up usa bike rack is? Is this is the back of the truck, a hitch mount , on the roof...?

I have a hitch mount where the bike across the back of my Jeep. I have traveled highway with the cover on, but it does buckle the cover and has to be straightened out. I only did that a couple times, now I just take the wheel off and throw it in the back.
2016-04-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nc452010 1. Is securing (taping) the cover to the wheel - important?

I have never taped in 3 seasons including Olys, HIMs and one IM.  Never had a single issue.  So for my n=1 = no.  

ETA - I am assuming you mean taping to the rim.  Taping the interior drive side to the spokes, yes, always.   Duct or packing tape is fine (but don't stack the two covers for storage or you'll get tape schmutz on the outside of the other one!)

2. I have a 1UP USA bike rack (I do not have to strap the wheel to the rack, at all). Is the cover on the wheel safe for traveling 75mph down the highway (I have a Toyota Tacoma and a 4.5 hr ride to my next tri). Thank you.

I wouldn't as it is going to be a massive sail.  I'd just worry too much about it.  When I have transported my bike to a race with a hitch rack I've just put a trainer wheel on the back and the covered wheel in the car

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-06 12:25 PM
2016-04-06 12:35 PM

User image

I use the screws, and usually just add three pieces of tape about 2 inches long on each side.  I've done it with no tape at all before, and not sure it makes a difference.  As for transporting, I would always remove the disc and put on a training wheel when using my trunk rack.  Because the bike is perpendicular to the forward motion of the car it creates a huge sail and if nothing else hurts your gas mileage.  For a roof rack, I'm guessing maybe it's more aero?  LOL.

2016-04-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Yes. I was talking about taping the cover to the rim.

The Wheelbuilder Aero Jacket comes with fasteners to ....fasten the two sides together. I guess I should have asked a better question. Is there any real need to use any other type of fastening at all? I'm hearing it's not necessary to fasten it to the rim. I will absolutely use the fasteners supplied......but I was hoping I wouldn't need to do anything else.

As for transport..........thanks to all. I'll slip the trainer wheel back on for the ride.

2016-04-06 1:54 PM

User image

I've only ever used the clips (note that they are pushed together but screwed apart), so I've never had a need to do anything else.  Some people use tape in addition to clips, and to be honest other than looking slightly cleaner I am not sure why (i don't cover the valve hole either)

I also have an extra "just in case" set of clips.

2016-04-06 11:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was in discussion with them about the whole tape issue.

It's totally optional, but I preferred to have a disc cover with no drilled out holes and opted to ONLY use tape for securing it.

It's a bit cleaner looking, and avoids the waviness sometimes associated with the screws putting pressure on the middle of the plastic.

They were willing to sell me one without the holes drilled, but between the shipping, the canadian exchange rate, and my tight deadline, i Opted to make my own, and so far it's been fantastic.

I have a couple friends that went the other way and just use the screws, and a couple of them have the waviness, or it just loos like they did them too tight or something.

Also, I'd put my wheel in the car and have a trainer wheel on it for shipping outside the car due to it being a sail, don't need that pressure on the bike!

Edited by dfquigley 2016-04-06 11:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two more Aero Jacket Q's, please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero Jacket (large) Stickers

Started by d00d
Views: 1411 Posts: 19

2015-10-05 12:36 PM d00d

Rear wheel aero jackets

Started by mattoosh
Views: 2195 Posts: 7

2012-09-21 11:06 AM djrigby9

Aero Jacket question

Started by KathyG
Views: 5751 Posts: 20

2011-09-22 12:40 AM dcon

good winter cycling jacket,please

Started by Cayenne
Views: 3498 Posts: 14

2010-12-03 6:53 AM SKIKIPP

Bike Q's and pedal Q's

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 1006 Posts: 12

2004-10-26 5:13 AM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Two Legged Squats exercise instruction with video.

date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Bent Over Two-Arm Dumbbell Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!