Princeton Athletic Club
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 37m 9s
Overall Rank = 56/82
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana and a Clif bar. Listened to some fun music while I put away laundry (we got up much earlier than we had to for this late start).
Event warmup:

We had to park 7/8 mile away from the start, so we walked and jogged a little down the trail to the registration table. A bit later we took a five minute jog through the woods along some slightly different trails.
Run
  • 37m 9s
  • 6 kms
  • 06m 11s  min/km
Comments:

This actually turned out better than I had expected. I was feeling pretty tired and draggy all week, but was much better this morning. I started off way too fast, trying to get to the head of the crowd. I felt awful for the first part of the race, so I just tried to stick with my pace and convinced myself I had to wait until the halfway point to walk, which worked. Jeff pulled away from me after about half of the first lap, though he remained within eyesight much of the race. I noticed that his glute was bothering him early and thought I'd be able to catch up, but he held his ground despite walking repeatedly. After the water station, where I walked briefly, things started to improve and I got into a bit of a groove. It wasn't fast, but it was consistent. I walked again for about 30 seconds around 29:00 and then kept running through the finish. I was able to accelerate just a little for the finish line, but there was no big power-through in me.
What would you do differently?:

I'm tempted to say I should hang back and not go out fast with the crowd, because that had me feeling terrible for much of the first half of the race, but I also think that really kicked up my pace for the whole course. Starting some interval training should help me get used to that kind of speed so I can handle it better next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit. We got out of there quickly because the rain started about five minutes before we finished the race. Knowing it was only going to get worse, we wanted to finish that mile walk back to the car quickly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training, weight gain and lack of speed work. I think speed work will really help me get back into the zone I was in last fall more quickly.

Last updated: 2016-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:09 | 06 kms | 06m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 56/82
Performance: Good
Course: Trails through the Institute Woods, down along the stream and back to the trolley line. It had been wet and very windy, so they had to do a great deal of trail maintenance before this event. There was a lot of new fill along the trail as well as muddy tire tracks, making for a lot of soft, mucky footing on some of the main trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes