View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Total Time = 53m 45s
Overall Rank = 9/291
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had coffee, some yogurt, a banana, toast and some orange juice. Had the car already packed, so after getting dressed I headed out the door.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Just headed to the pool and tried not to freeze.
Swim
  • 04m 28s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I seeded myself about 6th after talking to the guys around me about their expected finish times. One guy said he was going to finish in 3:20 and seeded himself 3rd. By the end of the first lap I was on the feet of the guy in front of me. The person who seeded himself 3rd was barely keeping a 1:40/100 pace and everyone got backed up. This was a tough hit for me since the swim is my opportunity to put some distance behind me going into the bike. This just about killed it.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself much higher and realize that people tend to overestimate. Looking at the finish times, I could have easily been 2nd or 3rd and knocked a minute off my overall time if I had seeded properly.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I got out of the water and noticed my watch hadn't started. It was the first time I used the multisport function for a pool swim and must have messed something up. I tried hitting lap a bunch of times to get it to catch up to T1, but I couldn't get it to work. I then decided to just change it to a bike setting for that leg.

Practice the multisport setting first....nothing new on race day. One day I'll learn that.
Bike
  • 26m 56s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 22.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first ride after the winter's bike focus. I wasn't sure how to pace and ended up going way too conservative. I'm still happy with how it turned out. I finished much higher in the field than I had in any previous race.

Go harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I had been practicing getting out of my shoes and jumping off the bike while still moving after every outdoor ride over the winter. This was the first time I tried it in a race and it went perfectly. It was cold and my hands were numb so it made it difficult to get my shoes on.
Run
  • 18m 59s
  • 2.93 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out of T1 and had to reset my watch again by saving the bike then putting it in run mode. So my watch didn't catch the first part of the run and didn't get GPS signal until almost a quarter mile in. I hadn't done any speedwork at all for four months leading up to the race. With the bike focus I only did very easy steady state running and had no idea how this was going to go. The last sprint I did I averaged right at 7:00 MM and that was quite an effort so I expected about the same. When I finally got signal I looked down at my watch and I was running a 6:30 pace even though I didn't feel like I was pushing that hard. Just in case, I backed off and slowed down. I got to mile 1 at about 6:45. I still didn't feel like I was pushing really hard so I picked it up a bit. I finished the second mile at 6:30. At this point I realized that somehow I had gained some speed on the run even without speed work and just went with it. I pushed the last mile and did it in around 6:15. I crossed the finish line and didn't really felt like I raced. Between the bike and the run I went much too conservative.

Go harder.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt fine crossing the finish line. Normally I have to catch my breath but since I went too easy I crossed the line and immediately walked over and picked up one of my kids and started chatting with my wife. Then I walked over and talked with some of the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how the winter training block I did would affect my race performance.

Event comments:

There were some last minute changes and the race was about 15 minutes late getting started. Overall not bad though. Traffic control was very good.

Last updated: 2016-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:28 | 300 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/38
Overall: 13/291
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 300 meter pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:56 | 10.3 miles | 22.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/38
Overall: 11/291
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:59 | 02.93 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/38
Overall: 9/291
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-04-11 11:41 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: No Label Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Label Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

No Label Triathlon

Started by Jet Black
Views: 1292 Posts: 9

2016-04-11 9:16 AM Atlantia

No Label Triathlon

Started by Jet Black
Views: 2031 Posts: 17

2015-04-07 10:47 AM laffinrock

No Label Triathlon

Started by Maniton
Views: 1286 Posts: 1

2013-04-27 5:49 PM Maniton

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1343 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by aparsells
Views: 2865 Posts: 12

2006-03-23 6:29 PM aparsells
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are like many active people, you feel totally confused about what to eat. You listen to a plethora of nutrition experts, read food labels, and then try to piece the information together.