Other Resources The Political Joe » Transgendered Bathroom/Locker debate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-04-14 2:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Transgendered Bathroom/Locker debate

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeffnboise

P

Originally posted by chirunner134

Those penis having bastards have been seeing me in a locker room my entire life.  LMAO

One was talking to me and I could see his penis.

Oh no!!!! 

I go away for a few days and THIS is what PCOJ has turned into?   

GREAT JOB!  Carry on.......

I agree.....my posts you quoted are meant as sarcasm.....this thread is a trainwreck.

JSYK:  MY post was intended as sarcasm, too.  But I watch NASCAR for the wrecks, so what do I know?

2016-04-14 10:40 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

P

Those penis having bastards have been seeing me in a locker room my entire life.  LMAO

Oh no!!!! 

I agree.....my posts you quoted are meant as sarcasm.....this thread is a trainwreck.

JSYK:  MY post was intended as sarcasm, too.  But I watch NASCAR for the wrecks, so what do I know?

You watch NASCAR??  hahahahaha.....as many redneck tendencies as I have, I can't go there.

2016-04-14 11:16 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-gender-neutral-bathroom-20160413-snap-htmlstory.html

I predict that within 5-10 years CA state law will require that school bathrooms and locker rooms be converted to gender neutral.

2016-04-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas

P

Oh no!!!! 

You watch NASCAR??  hahahahaha.....as many redneck tendencies as I have, I can't go there.

And we all know what they say about those NASCAR people ( yeah, I said THOSE people ) They're closeted bitter bible clinging, gun owning, NRA members who are usually involved in some sort of underaged sexual relationship with a first cousin. Heck, I bet he's even cut the sleeves off all his Skynard ( and the Boss ) concert tees. Any bets there's at least a second mortgage on the doublewide?

• Did I miss any? That is, without bringing up dental hygiene, cuz that would just be mean.

Edited by mdg2003 2016-04-15 8:53 AM
    2016-04-15 9:13 AM
    in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Veteran
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by SevenZulu

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-gender-neutral-bathroom-20160413-snap-htmlstory.html

I predict that within 5-10 years CA state law will require that school bathrooms and locker rooms be converted to gender neutral.

I'm jumping late into this discussion, and I'll be honest I didn't read all of the previous posts.

I think this is the way to go.  While it may not be particle everywhere and requires three bathrooms, I do believe it is the best solution for everyone.  It can be done easily in new construction.  Our campus already has several gender neutral bathrooms.

Smaller businesses could just as easily adapt, at least what I have been noticing a lot more (at least in new construction) is the business is just having 2 or 3 private bathrooms.  Problem also solved! 

I don't understand the transgender issue wholly but being gay I do have an different perspective on it.  I use the men's locker rooms and bathrooms.  Some people might have a problem with this.  But you know what.  I'm not in there to check people out or hook-up.  I'm there to change or go to the bathroom, really it is that simple.  In some of what I see in the locker room  at the gym is frightening.

Of course there is a added element when you throw different genders into the mix.  But I do believe that the vast majority of people would not try and take advantage of the situation. 

2016-04-15 10:08 AM
    in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Justin86

Originally posted by SevenZulu

I'm jumping late into this discussion, and I'll be honest I didn't read all of the previous posts.

I think this is the way to go.  While it may not be particle everywhere and requires three bathrooms, I do believe it is the best solution for everyone.  It can be done easily in new construction.  Our campus already has several gender neutral bathrooms.

Smaller businesses could just as easily adapt, at least what I have been noticing a lot more (at least in new construction) is the business is just having 2 or 3 private bathrooms.  Problem also solved! 

I don't understand the transgender issue wholly but being gay I do have an different perspective on it.  I use the men's locker rooms and bathrooms.  Some people might have a problem with this.  But you know what.  I'm not in there to check people out or hook-up.  I'm there to change or go to the bathroom, really it is that simple.  In some of what I see in the locker room  at the gym is frightening.

Of course there is a added element when you throw different genders into the mix.  But I do believe that the vast majority of people would not try and take advantage of the situation. 

We just moved to a new office building, but in our old one we had two single toilet bathrooms and I marked them both as mixed use male/female.  Nobody thought anything of it, other than a few of the ladies who think the guys are disgusting, but I digress. 

Even back in my younger days where I would classify myself as being "more homophobic" I never had a problem with gay guys in the same bathroom or even the occasional flirtation.  It seems weird, but I always thought of it as a compliment to be hit on no matter who was doing the hitting.  Unfortunately, now that I'm 42 I don't get hit on by anybody male or female.  I'd be very thankful if a gay guy approached me these days.  lol

Funny story:  In the mid 90's I lived in San Diego when I was in the Navy.  My wife worked at a company in downtown San Diego and for whatever reason there was a huge percentage of gay guys that worked there.  She absolutely loved it because they never hit on her, which was a pleasant change.  Anyways, one day I drove down to have lunch with her and walked in wearing my fancy Navy uniform.  I had never in my life been cat called before that day, but I couldn't do anything but laugh.  I caused quite the scene apparently.

2016-04-15 10:12 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois

I would agree with you. I know there will be cases where people will do it trying to test it out and some might go in to try to look.

Funny my gym has rules in each locker. Rule #5 is famous now with some of my friends. No sex in the lockers rooms. The rule does state that this does happen and you should take it somewhere else.

Edited by chirunner134 2016-04-15 10:30 AM
    2016-04-15 11:09 AM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

I would agree with you. I know there will be cases where people will do it trying to test it out and some might go in to try to look. Funny my gym has rules in each locker. Rule #5 is famous now with some of my friends. No sex in the lockers rooms. The rule does state that this does happen and you should take it somewhere else.

At Lifetime Fitness we have the mens and womens locker rooms and then there's the "family" locker rooms which has a bunch of private rooms with showers in them.  We always call them the hookup rooms

2016-04-15 11:53 AM
    in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

I would agree with you. I know there will be cases where people will do it trying to test it out and some might go in to try to look. Funny my gym has rules in each locker. Rule #5 is famous now with some of my friends. No sex in the lockers rooms. The rule does state that this does happen and you should take it somewhere else.

At Lifetime Fitness we have the mens and womens locker rooms and then there's the "family" locker rooms which has a bunch of private rooms with showers in them.  We always call them the hookup rooms

apparently I have belonged to all the wrong gyms...does your gym also have yoga?

2016-04-15 11:58 AM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    Originally posted by dmiller5

apparently I have belonged to all the wrong gyms...does your gym also have yoga?

I used to belong to LTF fitness. I never knew about the hookup rooms. I will have to ask my exgf who I met there. Though I seen a lot of crazy stuff there. There is a reason why I was in such good swimming shape when I was a member and not just because of the master swim program.
    Yes they do have Yoga there. I tried it once. It was hard but it was beautiful girl city.
    2016-04-15 12:45 PM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

I heard they had a lot of problems in the hot tub as well.
    Only issue I've ever had was a dude that used to shower in the public shower out by the pool.  When I mean shower, I mean take everything off and shower.   Umm  lol

2016-04-15 3:01 PM
    in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN

Again, this is not a concern by most people, the major topic of discussion here are the elementary, middle and high schools.

I do not believe a single parent would be open to the fact that their daughter would have to change clothes with a male in their locker room. This thread has turned into more of an "Adults can handle it and are okay with gender neutral bathrooms or locker rooms" but do you really think a 12 year old would have the same comfort level as LTF bathrooms?

I am sorry but I do not believe that many parents would be on board with this.

And again, I would love to hear some females post in this thread and give their opinions, maybe I m wrong, but....

2017-04-07 11:44 AM
    in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    2017-04-07 12:55 PM
    in reply to: jford2309

User image

, Noord-Brabant
    I'm super late to this discussion, but I am female lady type person (a cisgendered one), so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I hated changing in the locker rooms at school. Children, in my experience, are awful. Just awful. They're cruel and merciless and and will mock anyone they perceive to be weaker than them for anything: having/not having body hair, developing secondary sexual characteristics more or less quickly than anyone else, the brand of deodorant you use, anything. Areas where they totally lack supervision such as locker rooms and toilets are high risk zones for bullying behaviour, even for striaght cis-gendered people of the majority local ethnicity and no other outlying features.

Being a trans person comes with enough other stuff that is going to be royal PITA, I can't see how making someone who identifies as female change with a bunch of teenage boys will make anything better. If they're presenting and living as female their classmates surely already know about it. It's not like one day they''ll be acting like a typical teenage boy and the next wanting to get changed or go pee with the girls. Grown ups over complicate these issues I think.

I'd worry a bit more about someone identifying as male but lacking the full equipment, as they would seem to be a greater risk of being hurt by the cis-boys. That seems more difficult to resolve - making them change with the girls might be 'safer' in that regard but more likely to make everyone socially uncomfortable. A massive overhaul of how we raise boys and condition them to process their feelings so they could do so with less violence would probably help, but that would be a heck of a long process even if people could agree on how to set about it.

They renovated the sports facilities in my school was I was in the sixth form (urm... ages 16 to 18, I don't know how that translates to US systems, last years of high school or first years of college? Anyway, my school ran from ages 11/12 to 18, with shared sports facilities across all years) and replaced the single large rooms with benches around the sides and hooks on the wall, and a similar open shower space (per sex, that is, not co-ed) with mostly individual cubicles for both changing and showering, and that was a lot better. I think it's the way forward, even though it takes up a lot more space.

2017-04-07 2:54 PM
    in reply to: raemwright

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by raemwright I'm super late to this discussion, but I am female lady type person (a cisgendered one), so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I hated changing in the locker rooms at school. Children, in my experience, are awful. Just awful. They're cruel and merciless and and will mock anyone they perceive to be weaker than them for anything: having/not having body hair, developing secondary sexual characteristics more or less quickly than anyone else, the brand of deodorant you use, anything. Areas where they totally lack supervision such as locker rooms and toilets are high risk zones for bullying behaviour, even for striaght cis-gendered people of the majority local ethnicity and no other outlying features. Being a trans person comes with enough other stuff that is going to be royal PITA, I can't see how making someone who identifies as female change with a bunch of teenage boys will make anything better. If they're presenting and living as female their classmates surely already know about it. It's not like one day they''ll be acting like a typical teenage boy and the next wanting to get changed or go pee with the girls. Grown ups over complicate these issues I think. I'd worry a bit more about someone identifying as male but lacking the full equipment, as they would seem to be a greater risk of being hurt by the cis-boys. That seems more difficult to resolve - making them change with the girls might be 'safer' in that regard but more likely to make everyone socially uncomfortable. A massive overhaul of how we raise boys and condition them to process their feelings so they could do so with less violence would probably help, but that would be a heck of a long process even if people could agree on how to set about it. They renovated the sports facilities in my school was I was in the sixth form (urm... ages 16 to 18, I don't know how that translates to US systems, last years of high school or first years of college? Anyway, my school ran from ages 11/12 to 18, with shared sports facilities across all years) and replaced the single large rooms with benches around the sides and hooks on the wall, and a similar open shower space (per sex, that is, not co-ed) with mostly individual cubicles for both changing and showering, and that was a lot better. I think it's the way forward, even though it takes up a lot more space.

I had a guy who worked for me who was no different than anybody else.  Just a regular nerdy 30 year old with pattern baldness.  One day he shows up for work wearing a dress and makeup.  We all kind of looked at him like he was joking around or something and he said his name was now Sarah.  He even went through HR and had his name tag changed on his cubicle.  We all shrugged it off and went about our merry way, but she wasn't allowed to use the womens restroom and had a single occupancy restroom set aside on a different floor to use.
    My only point is that it does sometimes "just happen" and people around them have no idea.

2017-04-07 3:24 PM
    in reply to: #5176526

User image

, Noord-Brabant
    But after that they stayed Sarah, right?

2017-04-07 3:24 PM
    in reply to: raemwright

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by raemwright But after that they stayed Sarah, right?

Yes

2017-04-07 3:37 PM
    in reply to: #5217918

User image

, Noord-Brabant
    (sorry, I'm on my phone and can't see a way to quote or reply to a specific post)

I guess that must have been a bit odd for everyone.

As the whole concept of transitioning is becoming more well known it'll probably get rarer that someone gets so far through life before being able to do it.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Transgendered Bathroom/Locker debate Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

N.H. GOP Debate

Started by ChineseDemocracy
    Views: 706 Posts: 9

2016-02-08 3:42 PM ChineseDemocracy

Democratic debate Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
    Views: 5639 Posts: 80

2015-12-20 5:31 PM Left Brain

Republican debate Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by tuwood
    Views: 10368 Posts: 187

2016-02-26 6:12 PM jeffnboise

The whole homosexuality debate Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by dmiller5
    Views: 9144 Posts: 123

2016-04-18 11:06 AM tuwood
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 5, 2006
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    As hard as you try to avoid it, it calls for you each and every morning. You hate to do it, but for some uncontrollable reason, your feet find their way to the bathroom scale.

date : November 14, 2004
    author : Andrea
    comments : 0
    I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.