BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by melbo55

Justin - that's a hawt bike!  I have the same pouch you have on the top tube and I love mine.

Chris - I am not envious of your plans this week!  Good luck staying awake and enjoy that free lunch!

Janyne - I'm lovin' the new avatar!

Oh yeah, my first semi-real job (other than babysitting or answering phones) was working during the summer at a fishing dock where charter boats went out of in DE. I had an assortment of jobs: working in the store selling food/souvies/tackle, cleaning/hauling fishing rods that the customers had rented, cleaning fish, and sometimes I helped the mates scrub the boats at the end of the day.  It was a great job, truly, and I made pretty sick money for a kid, all under the table.  Tips were good.  They let me go out on the head boat (unchartered trip, whoever pays can go) for free to fish.  Fish were plentiful, so we made big $$ cleaning them.

One of my favorite moments was one day after I had already been working there most of the summer the owners decided to ask me how old I was. The looks on their faces when I said "12" was priceless!  I was always tall for my age and was tall early.  I worked there during the summers until I was 15.  I miss those carefree days, although I suppose I don't miss smelling like fish.

That sounds like an amazing job! All downhill from there eh? ?? I had two pretty cool jobs. One was working at a veterinarian clinic. It was mostly just cleaning but I loved getting to hang out with all the animals. The other was my junior and senior years of high school I was interning with the test engineers at the naval shipyard (civilian ) our office was on the aircraft carrier (CVN 72) and my badge allowed me access to some pretty cool stuff including getting in the reactor room a couple of times.

2016-04-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by juniperjen

So, like, I ran a 10k yesterday. And it went WAY better than I expected. I think I said on here that i thought i might be able to work my butt off and get 55 mins. Well, yesterday I felt really good and conditions were with us and I managed to come in at 50:26 ... so, my best for this race (not exactly the same course) was last year at 50:04 - and i have some nagging doubts because my garmin measured the course pretty short at 9.7 but i am going to accept it and that the course was certified and that is actually what I did! :D 

Even better is that I caught up to my DH and my official time is 4 seconds slower than him. He didn't realize I was behind him until our friend who did the 5k cheered for us and i said 'I'm right behind you' - he sped up a bit - i didn't, i've nearly barfed on this course a couple of times because the finish is just slightly uphill. 

Anyway, i am pretty pleased with this result. Maybe a little consistency and i could do even better

Congrats on far surpassing your expectations.  What a wonderful feeling when all things align for such a great race.

2016-04-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by tomsimper I am struggling to get my HR up on the bike and wanted to know if this is due to the way I am riding as had no issue on the turbo trainer? I go in a gear where I can feel enough resistance when peddling but cadence isn't probably that high but can certainly feel it in my legs. Should I be looking at dropping a few gears so I can spin the pedals quicker to make it more efficient. Also what is the best way to get quicker on the bike, a friend who rides a lot says head for the hills, which is ok as I have plenty near me or as I am new to riding is it better to just get miles in the legs?
This is most likely rule #5 at play here, but also your bike fitness probably just isn't there. Heading for the hills is a good idea because you can't make them easy.
Building up heart rate and fitness on the bike are closely related. It takes longer to build up strength on the bike than it does for running. I wouldn't sweat it, stay consistent and it will come. I use Maffetone method for heart rate and it took me over a year to build up the bike strength to hold my heart rate at my maximum aerobic function.

Over the years I have tried a lot of things to improve.  Where I got the best results was when I started doing intervals like 4 x 5 min very hard or repeats on hills.  I also found that as I increased my strength I could sustain a higher gear which added greatly to my speed.  I did have to reduce my cadence to push a higher gear which was harder at first but as strength goes up it becomes more manageable.  It does take time and a lot of pain to make drastic improvements.

2016-04-26 10:39 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Hot Runner Adrienne, Not sure if you are familiar with Singapore but if not, recommending a couple of running destinations. (I do much of my racing there and it's also my favorite shopping and sanity weekend escape!). If it's not an event or the event is at Sentosa, I usually stay in a hotel at Robertson Quay, near Ft. Canning. *East Coast Park-A multi-use trail, sometimes separate trails/lanes for runners and bikes, goes all the way from Changi Village near the airport to Gardens by the Bay downtown. I recommend the stretch from East Coast Park toward Gardens by the Bay--it was about an 80-85 minute round trip for me at a leisurely pace--maybe 9-ish miles. *Botanical Gardens is also very nice for running. Easily reachable by bus or taxi, maybe on foot, if you are staying on/near Orchard Road. *Ft. Canning Park is small but nice for shorter runs. There's also an interesting circuit with log lifts and other upper-body stations. Close to Clarke Quay and Central MRT stations and the CBD. Run early (or late, but darkness falls quickly in the tropics). It gets really, really hot! And food--I think you can hardly go wrong in that city. Although there are some baffling local specialties, like "ice cream sandwiches" made with ice cream, and bread. Can't vouch for those! My personal favorites are seafood laksa and iced tea tarik. Sometimes I just order random stuff that sounds funny, like "Roti Papa Jon" and "Milo Dinosaur", just to see what will come. BTW: Food's cheap, beer's not. You are warned. On other subjects: Sabotage--It happens here. In the one adventure race I did in Vietnam, locals took out most of the cones used to mark the course. Total chaos with everyone going in different directions. A course official actually gave my teammate and I the wrong directions, causing us to run an extra three miles and lose the race. I have never done that particular event again--it was a big deal for me as unlike most teams, due to an injured partner, I was doing ALL the running for a 25 km partner race (most teams traded off run and bike) and in triple-digit heat, when you have to carry all your own fluids, 3 extra miles is a BIG deal. One reason I prefer to race in Singapore--you can say many things about the place, but people are very law-abiding! Jobs--I think I had a paper route when I was a kid, but my first "real" job (in high school) was cleaning cabins and occasionally lodge rooms at a state park. It was hot, very physical work (no AC in the cabins, people really trashed them--mud and sand everywhere, beer bottles, etc.) and our boss inspected everything, literally, with white gloves. If you didn't meet standards, your pay was docked. Plus I was training in the morning before work. The worst was having to move the fridge to clean behind it. I was smaller in HS than now--maybe 5'5' or 5'6" and about 110 pounds--and I had to run at the fridge and tackle it like a football player to move it far enough to clean it! The only good part of the job was that you were allowed to eat/drink anything left in the fridge, at your own risk. Someone once left a nearly full box of ice cream sandwiches, which was a welcome treat.

Thank you for the tips! I had my eye on a few  you mentioned but not all. Singapore will be my shortest stop but I will try to pack as much in as possible. 

Heh, I make notes before I travel and generally they are about places to run or places to run to. I had this note: EAST COAST PARK near airport, southwest (looks like great running spot)

Unrelated to running but have you checked out cloud forest? I will keep my eye out for some "Milo Dinosaur"

2016-04-27 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Adrienne (and anyone else thinking of visiting Singapore),

East Coast Park connects to Changi Beach Park, which is out near the airport (but not actually a very doable run or ride from the terminals--it goes to Changi Village, an older neighborhood without good public transport connections to the airport). I don't recommend the section near Changi Village right now due to the construction near the airport that I mentioned in my last RR, unless you are actually staying out there. The beach park is okay, and has maybe 1.5 to 2 miles of shady running path, but after that, what used to be a really nice, tree-lined path is totally exposed with massive construction dirt piles on both sides. I had to ride back from the race in ECP to Changi Village at mid-day and was terrified that I'd get a flat or something on that stretch. No shade, no chance to catch a cab, no nothing but a long slow repair out in the blazing sun.

Best hotel for early AM runs at East Coast Park would be the Mercure Grand Roxy. It's a mid-range business-type hotel on Marine Parade Drive off East Coast Parkway. East access to airport (10-15 minutes) via the Parkway. Quiet and comfortable with a nice rooftop pool. You can access the park via a shortcut behind the mall across the street and an underground crossing under East Coast Parkway. There aren't any hotels currently on the park/beach side of the parkway, and very few places within walking distance of one of the crossing tunnels.

Another interesting run if you don't mind heat and crowds would be the walkway from Vivo City to Sentosa. I've always thought about doing it but the timing hasn't worked out with races and where I stay. You could enjoy a swim at Sentosa in the middle (probably the safest OWS in Asia--little sheltered bays with lots of lifeguards. I would be cool with a five year old swimming there).

Cloud forest in Singapore? Haven't heard about it. Is it part of Gardens by the Bay? Several years ago I went to the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia with a friend who was very into botany, and we did a tour of the cloud forest there. Also seen some on Gunung Kinabalu in Malaysia. Beautiful, but not sure the one in Singapore would be authentic--at the equator you have to be up about 5000-9000 feet to get that vegetation in its natural habitat.

Milo Dinosaur is an awesome recovery beverage for a long workout in hot weather, assuming you like Milo!

ETA:

Beijing--If you can stand the air quality, find a park. Stay off the streets. Close to the city center, Yuyuantan Park is the biggest one and very popular with local runners early in the morning. The best running in the city is probably out at the Old Summer Palace, early in the morning. But it's a long way from the city center. I lived a mile north of it and used it as my personal cross-country course; talked my way into a cheap annual "morning exercise" pass like the locals have so I didn't need to buy tourist tickets. That saved me during the years I lived in Beijing.

Thailand: I've only run in Bangkok. Air quality is crap, especially this time of year due to field burning. Lumpini Park is by far the best running anywhere close to the city center that I know of. Very hard to run elsewhere due to traffic and lack of clear sidewalks--smaller parks may be doable in a pinch.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-27 7:42 AM
2016-04-27 2:42 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I am doing a whitewater kayaking trip next week which involves the usual logistical challenges. Boats and people must be at the train station to take us up the line to the put in for the river. Paddle down the river for a week then arrive at a camp where the truck will be parked so we can load everything up and go home. The challenge comes from the fact that the camp is about 20km from the train station, the train leaves at 6:08am. There are a few options to do the shuttle, 1. take 2 cars which obviously involves extra expense, 2. pay someone to drive the car back to the camp (if we could sucker someone into it) 3. Drop everything at the train station, drive back to the camp then run to the train station - I think the solution is pretty clear.

The 4am Half Marathon. There will be 2 participants.

2016-04-27 2:48 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black So, as if I wasn't starting to freak out enough about IMTX, now I just found out that I have to travel for work next week. And this isn't your usual travel, I've got to take a helicopter to a big construction vessel in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these boats have gyms nowadays, but I've never been on this one so not sure. I'm hoping there's at least a treadmill. So yeah, I'm freaking out. Ugh.

The hay is in the barn...

2016-04-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL I am doing a whitewater kayaking trip next week which involves the usual logistical challenges. Boats and people must be at the train station to take us up the line to the put in for the river. Paddle down the river for a week then arrive at a camp where the truck will be parked so we can load everything up and go home. The challenge comes from the fact that the camp is about 20km from the train station, the train leaves at 6:08am. There are a few options to do the shuttle, 1. take 2 cars which obviously involves extra expense, 2. pay someone to drive the car back to the camp (if we could sucker someone into it) 3. Drop everything at the train station, drive back to the camp then run to the train station - I think the solution is pretty clear. The 4am Half Marathon. There will be 2 participants.

What happened to ride 365?!

DH used to do a lot of whitewater but (1) the drive for that was even further than the drive to the mtb trains in the mountains and (2) logistical cr*p. 

2016-04-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

So, as if I wasn't starting to freak out enough about IMTX, now I just found out that I have to travel for work next week. And this isn't your usual travel, I've got to take a helicopter to a big construction vessel in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these boats have gyms nowadays, but I've never been on this one so not sure. I'm hoping there's at least a treadmill. So yeah, I'm freaking out. Ugh.

Wow
2016-04-27 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DaveL I am doing a whitewater kayaking trip next week which involves the usual logistical challenges. Boats and people must be at the train station to take us up the line to the put in for the river. Paddle down the river for a week then arrive at a camp where the truck will be parked so we can load everything up and go home. The challenge comes from the fact that the camp is about 20km from the train station, the train leaves at 6:08am. There are a few options to do the shuttle, 1. take 2 cars which obviously involves extra expense, 2. pay someone to drive the car back to the camp (if we could sucker someone into it) 3. Drop everything at the train station, drive back to the camp then run to the train station - I think the solution is pretty clear. The 4am Half Marathon. There will be 2 participants.

A week long kayak trip sounds great (ignoring the logistical issues).

2016-04-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Jet Black So, as if I wasn't starting to freak out enough about IMTX, now I just found out that I have to travel for work next week. And this isn't your usual travel, I've got to take a helicopter to a big construction vessel in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these boats have gyms nowadays, but I've never been on this one so not sure. I'm hoping there's at least a treadmill. So yeah, I'm freaking out. Ugh.

The hay is in the barn...

X2 and, What a neat type of work travel.

2016-04-27 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

What happened to ride 365?!

DH used to do a lot of whitewater but (1) the drive for that was even further than the drive to the mtb trains in the mountains and (2) logistical cr*p. 

ride 365/366! is and will still be alive. One of my concessions was that I allowed myself to do two-a-days to catch up on days were I couldnt ride. They do have to be legitimate rides, not just taking a 10 min tour around the neighbourhood. I already had to take 3 days off when I went skiing in Quebec but have made those days ups.
2016-04-28 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Have a blast! 

Run well.

2016-04-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok I've had enough of winter now you can have it back already!

The rain I can sort of cope with (but seriously 2 weeks straight is a bit over the top). The cold and the dark are not so great. By cold I mean it got down to 10*C (50F) the other night and it's still only April! It does not bode well for what it will be like in July and August.

Ok complaining done for now
2016-04-28 6:58 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Will trade you your winter for our spring (highs in high 30's pretty much every day; I don't think it's getting down much below 30 at night). Low most days has been 80-82 F. And of course there is plenty of sunlight--it only varies by about an hour throughout the year though when you are close to the equator.
2016-04-28 10:28 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Ok I've had enough of winter now you can have it back already!

The rain I can sort of cope with (but seriously 2 weeks straight is a bit over the top). The cold and the dark are not so great. By cold I mean it got down to 10*C (50F) the other night and it's still only April! It does not bode well for what it will be like in July and August.

Ok complaining done for now

Umm.. we got more snow today. And tomorrow looks like we'll get even more. Don't ask about Saturday. So much for my second outdoor ride of the season.

2016-04-29 7:04 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by StaceyK Ok I've had enough of winter now you can have it back already! The rain I can sort of cope with (but seriously 2 weeks straight is a bit over the top). The cold and the dark are not so great. By cold I mean it got down to 10*C (50F) the other night and it's still only April! It does not bode well for what it will be like in July and August. Ok complaining done for now
Umm.. we got more snow today. And tomorrow looks like we'll get even more. Don't ask about Saturday. So much for my second outdoor ride of the season.
Hopefully TJ will have enough snow for it to be fun but not so much to be a problem, right?

2016-04-29 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Love the travel tips!

Adrienne, are you going for business or pleasure? 

2016-04-29 7:09 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper thank you for the responses and it looks like I will be hitting the hills to try and get better fitness on the bike. Have a great day everybody!

Really, I think that whoever said that consistency is key nailed it. 

2016-04-29 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok I've had enough of winter now you can have it back already! The rain I can sort of cope with (but seriously 2 weeks straight is a bit over the top). The cold and the dark are not so great. By cold I mean it got down to 10*C (50F) the other night and it's still only April! It does not bode well for what it will be like in July and August. Ok complaining done for now
Hopefully TJ will have enough snow for it to be fun but not so much to be a problem, right?

That's what I'm hoping for. As long as the wind is reasonable I think it'll be a blast.
2016-04-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

That's what I'm hoping for. As long as the wind is reasonable I think it'll be a blast.

It will be SO MUCH FUN!  I'm really looking forward to hearing about the experience. 

2016-04-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds like many of the manatees around the world are experiencing some wacky weather.  It's wacky here, too.  A good bit colder than usual, seasonally, especially this am (low 40s F) and after a spell of not much rain, we are having rain daily all week and into next week, thankfully not of the proportions TX received.  I'm not sure what will happen with the charity ride I'm supposed to do on Sunday.

Hope the weather cooperates for your race, TJ!

Edited by melbo55 2016-04-29 8:54 AM
2016-04-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sounds like many of the manatees around the world are experiencing some wacky weather.  It's wacky here, too.  A good bit colder than usual, seasonally, especially this am (low 40s F) and after a spell of not much rain, we are having rain daily all week and into next week, thankfully not of the proportions TX received.

We had hail last night.  I think that's the first time we've had hail in the 20 years we've lived here!  I vote for NO HAIL FOR TJ's ULTRA!

2016-04-29 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sounds like many of the manatees around the world are experiencing some wacky weather.  It's wacky here, too.  A good bit colder than usual, seasonally, especially this am (low 40s F) and after a spell of not much rain, we are having rain daily all week and into next week, thankfully not of the proportions TX received.

We had hail last night.  I think that's the first time we've had hail in the 20 years we've lived here!  I vote for NO HAIL FOR TJ's ULTRA!

Oh Hail No!!!

2016-04-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Oh Hail No!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.