BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by JBacarella I need to vent. My neighbor stopped/trapped me on my run to complain about the condition of our road. He literally came blowing up in his full sized pick up, pulling a massive boat and stopper so I had to stop to tell me how bad the road was and that something needed to be done about it. Does he think I don't know the condition of the road? I drive on it several times a day and run on it several times a week. Perhaps he should stop driving down it at 90 mph, or last fall when we were repairing it, perhaps he could have gotten off of his dead A$$ and helped us. I know he was invited. Instead he has to ruin my run, so he could state the obvious, without offering help or a solution. He was messing with my time and interfering with my run. Okay, I feel better.

I swear some people put on a dunce hat before getting behind the wheel.

My vent:  To the white Lexus driver yesterday, please excuse me from riding my bike on a bike route. Since you apparently don't care for cyclists, please consider driving your car on a road that is not a bike route in the future. Grrr.

Edited by jmkizer 2016-05-20 2:19 PM

2016-05-20 3:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I look forward to reading some good race reports next week!

I also seem to get driven off the road every time I run in my neighborhood. Cars seem to slow down or stop when they see me coming, but for some reason without fail at least 1 drives right into my path. I'm pretty sure I've finally mastered my dirty look but come on people, respect those out there busting their !
2016-05-20 3:02 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I look forward to reading some good race reports next week! I also seem to get driven off the road every time I run in my neighborhood. Cars seem to slow down or stop when they see me coming, but for some reason without fail at least 1 drives right into my path. I'm pretty sure I've finally mastered my dirty look but come on people, respect those out there busting their !

My other favorite driver thing.  I'm running, I get to a stop light.  There is traffic and I press the crosswalk button.  I wait. Cars go  I wait. The Walk light comes on, I go.  A car turns right into me.  Whaaattt?????

2016-05-20 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I look forward to reading some good race reports next week! I also seem to get driven off the road every time I run in my neighborhood. Cars seem to slow down or stop when they see me coming, but for some reason without fail at least 1 drives right into my path. I'm pretty sure I've finally mastered my dirty look but come on people, respect those out there busting their !

My other favorite driver thing.  I'm running, I get to a stop light.  There is traffic and I press the crosswalk button.  I wait. Cars go  I wait. The Walk light comes on, I go.  A car turns right into me.  Whaaattt?????

Be careful! A woman I know had a car turn into her, she flipped over the hood and her ankle was really, really smashed up! Lots of pins put in and a long recovery time!

2016-05-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Be careful! A woman I know had a car turn into her, she flipped over the hood and her ankle was really, really smashed up! Lots of pins put in and a long recovery time!

I agree. And that goes for biking too. And even a "regular" crossing the road. Some drivers have absolutely no sense of imagination... To say at least :/
2016-05-20 3:52 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22
All, or at least Melanie, Robin NC and Janyne -Save the Manatee virtual 5k on Saturday
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Lisa - Wine-O Trail Run 10k on Saturday
Stacey - Run for a Reason - 12k on Sunday
Tom S - Great Manchester Run on Sunday
Mary G - Spring Half Marathon in Chicago
Justin - TexasMan X-50 Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - under the weather

Go Racers, gooo!!!!!
Yanti - get out of there!

I also want to share my tiny success of going over 1,000 yards today in the pool I did 1,200 with first 400 100% pure freestyle!!!

2016-05-20 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, I usually yell at those. This is why I trail run

ETA: I must admit, though, that I've been almost hit by a car on my "trail" as well.

Edited by rrrunner 2016-05-20 4:06 PM
2016-05-20 4:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22
All, or at least Melanie, Robin NC and Janyne -Save the Manatee virtual 5k on Saturday

Disabled List

Go Racers, gooo!!!!! Yanti - get out of there! I also want to share my tiny success of going over 1,000 yards today in the pool I did 1,200 with first 400 100% pure freestyle!!!

Sa-weet!!!!!!! You are really improving!!!!!!!!!

2016-05-20 4:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

ETA: I must admit, though, that I've been almost hit by a car on my "trail" as well.

Girl, we had a golf car (what's that called?) almost hitting us!
2016-05-20 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Close, it's a golf cart.

BTW, DS1 was making polish pudding last night. The translator for the directions was comical.

2016-05-20 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Go Racers, gooo!!!!! Yanti - get out of there! I also want to share my tiny success of going over 1,000 yards today in the pool I did 1,200 with first 400 100% pure freestyle!!!

Race well all! 

Great job Mary!!!

Yanti, I hope there comes a day where you actually feel 100%. Until then, I'll keep praying for you.

2016-05-20 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Today's bike/car stupidity was the driver of the Jeep that decided to pass me while I was in the right turn lane, in order to turn right. Directly in front of me. However, he decided against it as we go to the light, so we both turned together. Yep, my leg and his front fender were about 1 foot from each other.

2016-05-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado

Close, it's a golf cart.

BTW, DS1 was making polish pudding last night. The translator for the directions was comical.

haha I'd love to hear that! Was it good?
One day the paper towel dispenser at work got jammed and my co-worker decided to use Google translate to write a note to our Polish cleaning lady to fix it when she comes to clean the restroom. She did not consult with me believing Google had it covered....
So for: "paper towel is jammed please fix" she got something like: "the paper towel named Jamm will give you pleasure"..
Thankfully she consulted it with me before putting it in the restroom... I don't even want to think of what the cleaning lady would have thought
2016-05-20 4:18 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
2016-05-20 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Gooooo Racers!

Noooooo Yanti!  Get better soon!

2016-05-20 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Woo hoo!

2016-05-20 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Good luck everyone, I hope your weather is better than what they are saying our will be, currently they are saying rain, gusty winds oh and possible hail (but that keeps changing by the hour).

I'm not sure though Janyne can you be on the party list and the DL at the same time?

Edited by StaceyK 2016-05-20 7:08 PM
2016-05-20 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Go Racers, gooo!!!!!

I also want to share my tiny success of going over 1,000 yards today in the pool I did 1,200 with first 400 100% pure freestyle!!!
That is so cool Mary, now that you've done it one you'll find it gets easier and easier
2016-05-20 8:20 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Go racers! Good luck this weekend!
2016-05-21 12:54 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Cypress, Texas
Quick check in from vacation. I'm not getting enough training in while here in Germany. Too many things going on trying to catch up with family and friends I haven't seen in ages. Less than a week left before we fly back

Also for all of you crazy people out there. One of the companies that puts on a lot of Tri events in the Houston area (Well organized) just announce and extreme Ironman distance tri in Alaska starting 2017. Just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone is interested. Website here:

http://www.akxtri.com/

Go Racers!
2016-05-21 2:58 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Good luck everybody racing and hope you feel better soon Yanti!

2016-05-21 3:00 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Go Racers, gooo!!!!!

That is so cool Mary, now that you've done it one you'll find it gets easier and easier

Way to go Mary! Brilliant achievement for you!
2016-05-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Expert
Sometime earlier in the thread we were discussing run off of the bike. A small part of the discussion was how some of us were significantly slower than others off of the bike when compared to stand alone runs. I came across this article this morning. I thought it was interesting and explains why.
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/09/training/running-vs-triathl...
2016-05-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Good news on the family front. Daughter #3 ran in the State track regional meet last night. She PRed in all 3 of her events but missed qualifying for the state meet in the 2 mile by a few seconds. She was happy and had a good night.
2016-05-21 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

From one who is recovering from a relatively minor injury from a driver, I shudder to thing of what it could have been. I don't get it that people are so aggressive with cars.  A car is like a tank compared to a body or a body on a bike! Sadly, it is up to us to have to watch out as best we can.

Edited by ceilidh 2016-05-21 9:24 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.