BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-21 9:26 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by marysia83 Go Racers, gooo!!!!! Yanti - get out of there! I also want to share my tiny success of going over 1,000 yards today in the pool I did 1,200 with first 400 100% pure freestyle!!!
That is so cool Mary, now that you've done it one you'll find it gets easier and easier

It is always such a great feeling when you pass such a milestone.

2016-05-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JBacarella

Good news on the family front. Daughter #3 ran in the State track regional meet last night. She PRed in all 3 of her events but missed qualifying for the state meet in the 2 mile by a few seconds. She was happy and had a good night.

That's fantastic!! Congratulations! You must so proud
2016-05-21 7:47 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by johnthecat Quick check in from vacation. I'm not getting enough training in while here in Germany. Too many things going on trying to catch up with family and friends I haven't seen in ages. Less than a week left before we fly back Also for all of you crazy people out there. One of the companies that puts on a lot of Tri events in the Houston area (Well organized) just announce and extreme Ironman distance tri in Alaska starting 2017. Just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone is interested. Website here: http://www.akxtri.com/Go Racers!

Anyone familiar with Norseman? That's what this one is similar to. Cold swim, bike in the mountains, and a mountain top finish to the run. Seriously, 4,000 ft up in the last 10k. It looks awesome! I'm not doing it anytime soon, but did take a quick glance at costs. No other IM has had me do that in several years. It just looks that amazing to be up there.

2016-05-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Work had a 5k fun run at a local forest preserve area yesterday as part of a month long exercise initiative. Just ran it easy as I'm in no shape to be running hard, but somehow did see some good indications for what I've been doing despite what a 29' 5k might look like for me.

2016-05-22 1:19 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Heard of it but the cold swim would put me off. For a couple of years I've had my sights on Alpe de Huez Tri in France--similar mostly uphill bike and run at altitude. It's a bit longer than a standard HIM--I think 115 or 120 km of cycling and about 22 km of running--and am seriously thinking of signing up for it next year. It is also known for cold water; in some years it has been so cold they've had to pull a lot of people out, even some pros. I've seen several videos of the race and it looks like amazing scenery. Given my poor track record with water temps below about 62 (plus not particularly wanting to haul a full wetsuit around Europe--I'd probably bring my road bike for the race and do a few weeks of bike touring afterward to make the trip more worth my $), I might switch my sights to the du instead.
2016-05-22 3:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by johnthecat Quick check in from vacation. I'm not getting enough training in while here in Germany. Too many things going on trying to catch up with family and friends I haven't seen in ages. Less than a week left before we fly back Also for all of you crazy people out there. One of the companies that puts on a lot of Tri events in the Houston area (Well organized) just announce and extreme Ironman distance tri in Alaska starting 2017. Just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone is interested. Website here: http://www.akxtri.com/Go Racers!

Anyone familiar with Norseman? That's what this one is similar to. Cold swim, bike in the mountains, and a mountain top finish to the run. Seriously, 4,000 ft up in the last 10k. It looks awesome! I'm not doing it anytime soon, but did take a quick glance at costs. No other IM has had me do that in several years. It just looks that amazing to be up there.

ive heard of both-Norseman and the ne alaska one. Both look interesting and very, very hard!  

2016-05-22 3:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Work had a 5k fun run at a local forest preserve area yesterday as part of a month long exercise initiative. Just ran it easy as I'm in no shape to be running hard, but somehow did see some good indications for what I've been doing despite what a 29' 5k might look like for me.

good to hear!

2016-05-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

ive heard of both-Norseman and the ne alaska one. Both look interesting and very, very hard!  

There are a few others like these as well, though don't think any are really related even though they share similar names and web addresses. The Celtman might seem a little dreary for some though the Swissman looks incredible. Jordan Rapp did a nice article on ST and think added a few more names too.

2016-05-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Expert
Originally posted by johnthecat

Quick check in from vacation. I'm not getting enough training in while here in Germany. Too many things going on trying to catch up with family and friends I haven't seen in ages. Less than a week left before we fly back

Also for all of you crazy people out there. One of the companies that puts on a lot of Tri events in the Houston area (Well organized) just announce and extreme Ironman distance tri in Alaska starting 2017. Just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone is interested. Website here:

http://www.akxtri.com/

Go Racers!

The race is intriguing. I thought it was interesting that they will allow a neoprene swim cap under your race cap. 55 F is tolerable in a wetsuit without additional clothing. If you have a leak in your wetsuit, you are screwed. Under 50 F is when it starts to hurt (ice cream headache and calf cramps). I have no experience with altitude, so that is what would kill me. Pricing is reasonable, more reasonable than most branded races. It would be cool to have an Ulu knife
2016-05-22 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The race is intriguing. I thought it was interesting that they will allow a neoprene swim cap under your race cap. 55 F is tolerable in a wetsuit without additional clothing. If you have a leak in your wetsuit, you are screwed. Under 50 F is when it starts to hurt (ice cream headache and calf cramps). I have no experience with altitude, so that is what would kill me. Pricing is reasonable, more reasonable than most branded races. It would be cool to have an Ulu knife

ignoring the fact that HIM is my longest tri, I'd be in trouble with all disciplines; as a Floridian I don't really get cold water and no elevation at all, so id have to move to train for this race

2016-05-22 3:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

ignoring the fact that HIM is my longest tri, I'd be in trouble with all disciplines; as a Floridian I don't really get cold water and no elevation at all, so id have to move to train for this race

Yeah, the cold water can be tough as it does vary by person. Some solid pro women have had tough times with it. More so in the just barely above legal (their cut-off is lower than amateurs). Keep in mind that they only gave the average temperature for that time period too. It could vary from that. Norseman itself has moved the swim location because it became to cold at times.

The altitude doesn't really look like it'll be an issue though. The swim is in a bay (of a larger bay) which connects right to the ocean, so it's at sea level. The bike has just over 4,000 ft total, but seems to be entirely under 1,200 ft for the highest point. The run gets up near 2,000 ft at the very end. A lot of the earlier parts are only 100-200 ft up. It has several hills (or maybe mountains at this point?) to go over that gets to the high 4,000 ft total in the last part. Going to be a hike more so than a run. So tough hills, yes, but thin air not so much.

2016-05-23 2:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Just ran the Manchester 10K which was the race last year that got me started on this route as hadn't done any exercise in 20 years before that! So was very happy to see the improvement a year has made as ran it in 50:21 which was 17 minutes quicker than last year! The well earned pints afterwards have certainly made for a bad head this morning!
2016-05-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tomsimper

Just ran the Manchester 10K which was the race last year that got me started on this route as hadn't done any exercise in 20 years before that! So was very happy to see the improvement a year has made as ran it in 50:21 which was 17 minutes quicker than last year! The well earned pints afterwards have certainly made for a bad head this morning!

Congratulations! a 17 minute improvement on a 10 k is massive.
2016-05-23 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by tomsimper Just ran the Manchester 10K which was the race last year that got me started on this route as hadn't done any exercise in 20 years before that! So was very happy to see the improvement a year has made as ran it in 50:21 which was 17 minutes quicker than last year! The well earned pints afterwards have certainly made for a bad head this morning!

Wow, you crushed your old time, congratulations!  I hope your well earned head ache eases up soon!!

2016-05-23 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by tomsimper Just ran the Manchester 10K which was the race last year that got me started on this route as hadn't done any exercise in 20 years before that! So was very happy to see the improvement a year has made as ran it in 50:21 which was 17 minutes quicker than last year! The well earned pints afterwards have certainly made for a bad head this morning!

Great job! Congrats on a significant improvement!

Speaking of pints... ABQ Beer Week begins on Thursday. One of the events is a baking competition at one of the local craft brewers.  So this weekend I experimented and made Boulder Chocolate Porter chocolate cupcakes with a Crispin Hard Cider cream cheese frosting. I'm pretty happy with the first attempt but might try a fruitier cider next time

2016-05-23 10:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

Great job! Congrats on a significant improvement!

Speaking of pints... ABQ Beer Week begins on Thursday. One of the events is a baking competition at one of the local craft brewers.  So this weekend I experimented and made Boulder Chocolate Porter chocolate cupcakes with a Crispin Hard Cider cream cheese frosting. I'm pretty happy with the first attempt but might try a fruitier cider next time

Those cakes sound great!!!

2016-05-23 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congratulations! a 17 minute improvement on a 10 k is massive.

Massive is an understatement!  Congrats - that must feel great!  Having gone the other way this year myself (14 minutes slower in a recent 10k), I can only imagine.    What's the next target?? 

As for the pints and the hangover - well deserved and worth it, I'm sure!

The AK triathlon isn't one I'd heard of, but I'm honestly now thinking about how to mix that with a fishing trip.  Have thought for a while about Celtman (the family wants to visit the Highlands, where my mother was from - a MacDonald - and could be talk into a tri-tourism-trip for that) and Norseman (same thing), but an AK race and fishing after a day or two (or three) to recover would be darn tough to beat...

Matt

2016-05-23 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella Good news on the family front. Daughter #3 ran in the State track regional meet last night. She PRed in all 3 of her events but missed qualifying for the state meet in the 2 mile by a few seconds. She was happy and had a good night.

AWESOME!!

To nail PR's in all of her event AT the meet is amazing.  She must be over the moon, and rightly so.

Matt

2016-05-23 10:26 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by JBacarella Good news on the family front. Daughter #3 ran in the State track regional meet last night. She PRed in all 3 of her events but missed qualifying for the state meet in the 2 mile by a few seconds. She was happy and had a good night.

AWESOME!!

To nail PR's in all of her event AT the meet is amazing.  She must be over the moon, and rightly so.

Matt

Good stuff! I love that she can still enjoy the accomplishment in spite of barely missing state.

2016-05-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jim - Congrats to DD3 on the triple PRs!

TJ - Oh!  Great job recipe testing!  YUM!

Tom - 17 minute PR?!  Yes, you did earn those pints!  (sorry about the headache!)

Ben - I'm glad that you were able to get out there for the 5k.  Progress!

2016-05-23 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welp, I guess I'm officially back at it.

Registered for an 8k Sunday (the Autism Speaks race my company sponsors) and JUST registered for the CapTex Tri Oly next Monday.  Fitness be d@mned!

It was the last race I did last year, so it seems fitting to return to tri with it.  Now I have to go find my wetsuit and race wheels and race belt and... 

A mix of "ugh" and "I can't wait."

Matt

2016-05-23 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Registered for an 8k Sunday (the Autism Speaks race my company sponsors) and JUST registered for the CapTex Tri Oly next Monday.  Fitness be d@mned!

It was the last race I did last year, so it seems fitting to return to tri with it.  Now I have to go find my wetsuit and race wheels and race belt and... 

Matt

I think that we all expected that Racing Matt would win out

2016-05-23 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Matt

Looks like good stuff! Have fun finding the gear

2016-05-23 2:23 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Matt

I think that we all expected that Racing Matt would win out

Just don't get confused and run the 8k in your wetsuit. Bad News!!
2016-05-24 2:26 AM

User image

Matt

Brilliant!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.