BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-06-24 1:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Some good news on my end on the job front as well. I've been working my tail off on a few different projects lately and one of them I can finally talk about today. There will be some more official press releases and fanfare coming in the near future but we just LEED certified our first SBUX in India today. For those unfamiliar, LEED is a third party certification around the design, construction and operations of energy efficient buildings. A really cool part is that it all started via me making kind of a joke to a friend in passing at work.

In many ways a country like India really needs this kind of thoughtful design going forward, specifically targeting things like water and energy conservation. 

2016-06-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Atlantia Go racers! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend. Let's keep that DL empty. A little bright spot of news: J got a job offer! Pending background check, so please put good thoughts out into the universe on that score. He doesn't have a criminal record or large amounts of debt, so hopefully that's all good. Anyone ever had to have a background check for a job before?

I've been BG checked for the bank job. It didn't hurt  You hit the nail on the head, most jobs are looking at 2 primary issues, debt and law abiding citizen. IIRC, he is from England.  What is his immigration status(?) or whatever it is called.  And does it even matter?

Chris, well remembered, he is from England. And despite this job offer, not in the best of moods, what with Brexit. He is a permanent resident of the US, not a citizen. One of the reasons it was so hard for him to find IT work with us living in the DC area. Most everything requires clearance, and that's tough to get without citizenship. This just appears to be a background check. He pays his taxes, has credit cards but no huge debt, etc. So far the hardest part has been remember the dates we lived in our various apartments.
2016-06-24 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Some good news on my end on the job front as well. I've been working my tail off on a few different projects lately and one of them I can finally talk about today. There will be some more official press releases and fanfare coming in the near future but we just LEED certified our first SBUX in India today. For those unfamiliar, LEED is a third party certification around the design, construction and operations of energy efficient buildings. A really cool part is that it all started via me making kind of a joke to a friend in passing at work.

In many ways a country like India really needs this kind of thoughtful design going forward, specifically targeting things like water and energy conservation. 

That's so exciting! In a past job I worked a grand opening for a dog daycare that was going for LEEDS certification, and the amount of effort put into it was no joke. Well done and congrats! We need more LEEDS!
2016-06-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jet Black So the paint scheme I liked the best is going to be too rich for my blood. Got to get rid of the striping and go down to two colors. Not sure if he's going to be able to work in the club wings or not yet, but they would be blue too I'm guessing. I can't decide if I like all white w/blue "Dimond" or white down tube and top tube w/blue fork and chainstay. Thoughts?
The more blue the better in my humble opinion

2016-06-24 1:38 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Excellent! The whole world needs more of this.

2016-06-24 2:03 PM

User image

Master

That is awesome, Adrienne, congratulations.  This is kind of your 'baby', is it not?  LEED design/certification I mean.  So cool to see your hard work pay off.

2016-06-24 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awesome job. It's nice to see your hard work pay off.

2016-06-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Katy, Texas
Yeah, that's really cool Adrienne!! Good stuff!
2016-06-24 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.  Sounds like its going to be exciting for quite a few.  I might run a local 5k tomorrow.

And best wishes to you Chris on your birthday.

2016-06-24 4:25 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

This is fantastic news! Congratulations!!
2016-06-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Atlantia Go racers! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend. Let's keep that DL empty. A little bright spot of news: J got a job offer! Pending background check, so please put good thoughts out into the universe on that score. He doesn't have a criminal record or large amounts of debt, so hopefully that's all good. Anyone ever had to have a background check for a job before?

I've been BG checked for the bank job. It didn't hurt  You hit the nail on the head, most jobs are looking at 2 primary issues, debt and law abiding citizen. IIRC, he is from England.  What is his immigration status(?) or whatever it is called.  And does it even matter?

Chris, well remembered, he is from England. And despite this job offer, not in the best of moods, what with Brexit. He is a permanent resident of the US, not a citizen. One of the reasons it was so hard for him to find IT work with us living in the DC area. Most everything requires clearance, and that's tough to get without citizenship. This just appears to be a background check. He pays his taxes, has credit cards but no huge debt, etc. So far the hardest part has been remember the dates we lived in our various apartments.

Congratulations on the offer!!!!
I had a background check and was freaking out, because my credit history was hmm... not excellent...? But, depending what the position is, they are only looking for a real crimes, and not speeding tickets
That's really fantastic and I am very happy for you guys ))

2016-06-24 4:41 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congrats on the good news.

I've never had a background check because I've been at the same job for 26 years but my daughter recently had a background check for a Federal security related agency and they came to my workplace to interview me as well as a fairly long list of family, friends, and co-workers.  They were extremely thorough.

2016-06-24 4:41 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx

That is awesome, Adrienne, congratulations.  This is kind of your 'baby', is it not?  LEED design/certification I mean.  So cool to see your hard work pay off.

Indeed, well, it's my job-baby our team LEED certifies stores as the core of what we do every day. In fact, India makes this our 20th country and 900th certified store. We've been busy.

And thanks all, it's very exciting, particularly in such a challenging region.  

2016-06-24 4:57 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by popsracer

Congrats on the good news.

I've never had a background check because I've been at the same job for 26 years but my daughter recently had a background check for a Federal security related agency and they came to my workplace to interview me as well as a fairly long list of family, friends, and co-workers.  They were extremely thorough.

My co-worker received a call from Feds to answer all sorts of crazy questions for a someone who applied for a position in Army. Crazy questions included things like: was he vegetarian?
2016-06-24 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Go racers! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend. Let's keep that DL empty.

A little bright spot of news: J got a job offer! Pending background check, so please put good thoughts out into the universe on that score. He doesn't have a criminal record or large amounts of debt, so hopefully that's all good. Anyone ever had to have a background check for a job before?
Great news Laura. All our staff have to have background checks of various types, nothing to worry about if there are no criminal issues.
2016-06-24 8:24 PM

User image

Expert

Go racers! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend. Let's keep that DL empty.

A little bright spot of news: J got a job offer! Pending background check, so please put good thoughts out into the universe on that score. He doesn't have a criminal record or large amounts of debt, so hopefully that's all good. Anyone ever had to have a background check for a job before?

I've never had one, but we are visited by the FBI every few years. We have a neighbor who is in the Secrete Service, and his wife works for the State Dept and another neighbor who is a prosecutor for the Justice Dept. The first time they visited it was a little unnerving ( I was sure they finally caught up we me haha). Now that we have been through it several times, it's no big deal.

2016-06-25 2:41 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

GO DAVE!!!
GO MR MATTEE!!!
GO ERIC!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO JETSON!!!
GO JJ!!!
GO JUSTIN!!!
GO MARKUS!!!
GO MARIA!!!

Disabled List
YES!!!!!!!!!!

2016-06-25 3:03 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks all. Clearly this struck a nerve with some of you! lol. I don't plan on having my phone anywhere near me so I'll tell the fam they can try ironman.com or just wait for my call. It's hard to believe Ironman doesn't have this technology ironed out/available. With what we pay for their races I wouldn't think this would be a significant cost to them.

Being that they give us all a huge discount to participate in their events, I totally get why they haven't invested in this technology.

That was meant to be in red italic font though, right?

Surprisingly the cheapest Ironmans are in Europe (and the one full in Malaysia). 

We have three really big players interested in the Sentinel Tracker project and one of them is the aforementioned. However, from others and from a little bit of firsthand experience now, they are the WORST corporation to try to do business with. High likelihood of getting screwed. Not necessarily maliciously--more like sloppy/greedy. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I do actually get discounts and freebies from them but ... for the trouble I'm not sure they're worth it. Nevertheless they're the ones who need it most, who are most interested, and their market is our primary market.

Another one is the tech/timing company for the grand tours in Europe. OMG OMG OMG I'M SO EXCITED I'M OFF TO BE A TOUR DE PIGLETS HO SOON! Let me translate: I've been invited to tag along behind-the-scenes tech/timing for a Tour de France stage and ON COURSE for another stage! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Squeeeeeeeeee! I hinted at this earlier but couldn't say exactly what it was at that time, but now there it is! Next I'll be a podium girl wearing a yellow polka-dotted dress and kissing piglets! OK, maybe not, but a girl can dream.

The good health (as Stace Face said, probably about 50% of what anyone else's normal would be, but for me it's like I'm Wonder Woman) has held up! I live in celebration and gratitude every day. The change has been so profound, Kingsley suspects body snatching and replacement, but he's not looking for the other Yanti anytime soon

I was in tri news again ... if you want to see that I'm EXACTLY in life as I am on the computer:

http://www.asiatri.com/2016/06/video-ironman-cairns-pre-race-interview-with-yanti-ardie-one-of-triathlons-pioneer-in-indonesia/

Also, asiatri.com has awesome (not generic filler blather) training/life/recovery articles. 

2016-06-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks all. Clearly this struck a nerve with some of you! lol. I don't plan on having my phone anywhere near me so I'll tell the fam they can try ironman.com or just wait for my call. It's hard to believe Ironman doesn't have this technology ironed out/available. With what we pay for their races I wouldn't think this would be a significant cost to them.

Being that they give us all a huge discount to participate in their events, I totally get why they haven't invested in this technology.

That was meant to be in red italic font though, right?

Surprisingly the cheapest Ironmans are in Europe (and the one full in Malaysia). 

We have three really big players interested in the Sentinel Tracker project and one of them is the aforementioned. However, from others and from a little bit of firsthand experience now, they are the WORST corporation to try to do business with. High likelihood of getting screwed. Not necessarily maliciously--more like sloppy/greedy. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I do actually get discounts and freebies from them but ... for the trouble I'm not sure they're worth it. Nevertheless they're the ones who need it most, who are most interested, and their market is our primary market.

Another one is the tech/timing company for the grand tours in Europe. OMG OMG OMG I'M SO EXCITED I'M OFF TO BE A TOUR DE PIGLETS HO SOON! Let me translate: I've been invited to tag along behind-the-scenes tech/timing for a Tour de France stage and ON COURSE for another stage! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Squeeeeeeeeee! I hinted at this earlier but couldn't say exactly what it was at that time, but now there it is! Next I'll be a podium girl wearing a yellow polka-dotted dress and kissing piglets! OK, maybe not, but a girl can dream.

The good health (as Stace Face said, probably about 50% of what anyone else's normal would be, but for me it's like I'm Wonder Woman) has held up! I live in celebration and gratitude every day. The change has been so profound, Kingsley suspects body snatching and replacement, but he's not looking for the other Yanti anytime soon

I was in tri news again ... if you want to see that I'm EXACTLY in life as I am on the computer:

http://www.asiatri.com/2016/06/video-ironman-cairns-pre-race-interview-with-yanti-ardie-one-of-triathlons-pioneer-in-indonesia/

Also, asiatri.com has awesome (not generic filler blather) training/life/recovery articles. 

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! TdF!!!!! OMG!!!! Squeeeeee!

Hopefully the "other Yanti" got lost and won't turn up again

2016-06-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Edited by ceilidh 2016-06-25 9:46 AM
2016-06-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Katy, Texas
Yanti that is awesome!!

2016-06-25 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Xterra race went .... Poorly. My first DQ! I have the details on my training log but lets just say that I beat all the pros in the field on the bike
2016-06-25 8:47 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by DaveLXterra race went .... Poorly. My first DQ! I have the details on my training log but lets just say that I beat all the pros in the field on the bike
Oh bummer. Glad you made the best of it
2016-06-25 8:47 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Master
Northern IL

Decided not to do the boat tour this evening. Did manage to get the ride in the morning with basically the same forecast. It ended up only being overcast then.

(IMG_0692.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0692.jpg (196KB - 4 downloads)
2016-06-25 9:45 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Happy Day, I got a new ride the 23 year old Kestral is being retired.

(New Ride (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
New Ride (1).jpg (153KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.