BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Some trainer ride fodder for y'all......https://vimeo.com/176424978

OOhh!!! That is great. I may use this for tomorrow's trainer ride.

2016-07-28 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella Good news here. They sprung my Dad from the hospital last night and now he is at my wife's nursing home for cardiac rehab. He was the happiest guy around when I told him I was coming to pick him up and bring him back here and he would be with my Mom. For us we will get a little bit of respite and hopefully I can get my training back on track.
That is fantastic news. I bet there is relief all around!

Edited by ceilidh 2016-07-28 9:27 AM
2016-07-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella Good news here. They sprung my Dad from the hospital last night and now he is at my wife's nursing home for cardiac rehab. He was the happiest guy around when I told him I was coming to pick him up and bring him back here and he would be with my Mom. For us we will get a little bit of respite and hopefully I can get my training back on track.

Sounds like happy news for all!

2016-07-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Some trainer ride fodder for y'all......https://vimeo.com/176424978

Worked well last night!

2016-07-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Worked well last night!

Hoping I can chrome-cast it tomorrow.

Speaking of which, I almost lost my workout room!  My niece's husband got on with Santa Fe PD so he is going to live with us for a while until she can get down here and they can get a house. Fortunately we have a guest room in addition to DS2's room (which I use for a workout room) but the guest room doesn't have a cable box! Fortunately nephew-in-law, hereinafter referred to as nephew, uses wifi on his playstation so he can take the room without cable .  He's as big as DS1 so I will now be feeding not one, but two 6'3" 250#ish young men

2016-07-28 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Awesome to see this! 

2016-07-28 9:38 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Worked well last night!

Speaking of which, I almost lost my workout room!  My niece's husband got on with Santa Fe PD so he is going to live with us for a while until she can get down here and they can get a house. Fortunately we have a guest room in addition to DS2's room (which I use for a workout room) but the guest room doesn't have a cable box! Fortunately nephew-in-law, hereinafter referred to as nephew, uses wifi on his playstation so he can take the room without cable .  He's as big as DS1 so I will now be feeding not one, but two 6'3" 250#ish young men

Someone's checkbook just cried a little 

2016-07-28 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great news!  It's fantastic that is he out of the hospital and even better that he'll be closer to home.

2016-07-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Worked well last night!

Close call!  I'm glad that you got to keep your pain cave.  It's so nice that you are able to help out your nephew with this.  Good stuff!

2016-07-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Race report for Calgary is up. You probably shouldn't read it with hot coffee in your mouth if you want to visualize my snafus in T1 and T2. I always manage to transition with style! Pics may have to wait a few days owing to technical difficulties!

Kind of feel like waiting on pics as they can make such a difference!

Per you Ranking question, I believe IM takes the rank at that point in the race, so you were 4th place in your division at the end of the bike leg, not 4th fastest bike split. Looking over the race it would be 2nd out of the water. Lost 2 spots on the bike, falling to 4th place. Gained 2 spots back on the run getting back to 2nd. Make sense?

I'm wondering if the wind is the real killer for you on the course. Heard that Canada had some blowing that day. Coupled with some otherwise more minor hills and they can seem a LOT bigger. A flat, normally fast Oly course by me had wind the second year and took me near 4 minutes longer in spite of near identical everything else (bike setup, power output, etc) and was much harder to get through as it was so much harder to just go. Fighting through the combination for such prolonged periods can really wear you down. Both mentally and what your legs felt on the run. From the map and the IM site vids, it looks like things were pretty wide open to keep blowing on you.

2016-07-28 1:45 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm regretfully back from the Adirondack region.  Part of my heart stays there for sure, it's such a beautiful, special part of the world that I can never quite get enough of.

It was great (and a surprise) to be able to meet up with Randee on race day!  I wish we could've had more time to chat or do something together, but hopefully we'll get another chance some day.  Maybe next year.

Speaking of next year, as in September 2017, Lake Placid will now be hosting a 70.3...anyone?  Anyone?  It is extremely likely I will be signing up for it; I mean, what better redemption race than this in a place I love on courses I've trained on repeatedly?  I just hope I get in, it seems to have garnered quite a bit of interest already.

2016-07-28 6:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Aha--that does make sense--both for Calgary and Vietnam. There I think it said I was second, but I had the 4th fastest bike split--I think because I came out of the water with a big lead on some of the stronger bikers in my AG, and they never made it up. I'm pretty sure when I returned to T2 then, there was only one bike parked near mine. (We were racked by AG.) I almost dropped dead of shock at that point, and had only one thought, "She's out there somewhere. Run like hell!"

Actually only missed first at Calgary by about five minutes. Might have nailed it with a bit stronger swim and/or run, and a smoother T1. But it is what it is--I gave it everything I had that day and dealt with the difficulties as best as I could.

There was definitely some wind out there and much of the course was pretty exposed to it, but nothing catastrophic. There was probably a difference in speed (at same watts/RPE) of about 10 kph on the flats depending on direction. I think last year at Toughman it was closer to a 15-16 kph difference-there were stretches there where I struggled to control the bike. Bike plus me is probably only about 135 pounds, so crosswinds can make things interesting. I don't have hills to train on in Saigon; I do actually have wind. The "famous" industrial park where I do almost all of my outdoor riding is on the peninsula of a tidal river.
2016-07-29 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay, here it is....proof of bling! Will try to post more pics in the race report. Fortunately there are no pictures of my "one shoe off, one shoe on" version of the "flying dismount" in T2.

OMG this pic is way too big--but I don't know how to resize it--sorry!

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-29 7:19 AM

(DSCN0328.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN0328.JPG (1815KB - 19 downloads)
2016-07-29 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Okay, here it is....proof of bling! Will try to post more pics in the race report. Fortunately there are no pictures of my "one shoe off, one shoe on" version of the "flying dismount" in T2. OMG this pic is way too big--but I don't know how to resize it--sorry!

Love it!

2016-07-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31
Darren - Transcontinental Race Start at 10 pm tonight (that's 4pm US Eastern time, figure it out from there).  He will be updating via FB and IG.  His hashtag is #TCRNo4S111.  He'll be traveling with cell data off and updating via wifi when available.
Markus - Cypress Triathlon Sprint on Sunday
Yanti - Ironman Maastrich on Sunday
Adrienne - 420 Games - 4.20 miles on Sunday

Follow Darren Info
* setting off from Geraardsbergen, Belgium at 10 pm this Friday night.
* first check point is fat the Puy de Dome in central France
* second checkpoint is in the Swiss Alps, from Grindelwald to the Furka Pass
* third checkpoint is Passo Giau in the Italian Dolomites
* fourth checkpoint is in Montenegro on the Durmitor massif
* finish is in Canakkale, Turkey on the Asian side of the Dardanelles strait
* first riders will finish on Sunday, August 7th, most are aiming for the party on Saturday, August 13th
* Darren is rider S111
* Tracker: http://trackleaders.com/transconrace16
* Map showing checkpoints: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1I-r56FOqJSuMRlZfYCjPCazS5Ow
* #TCRNo4S111

Steve follow up:  Any additional thoughts on the charity that we would like to use?  Virtual event in his honor?  We could set up something in Racery (http://racery.com/) and ask for donations (free race, ask for donations or paid race to raise money for our cause.)

Manate bizness:  New thread coming soon!

2016-07-29 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Okay, here it is....proof of bling! Will try to post more pics in the race report. Fortunately there are no pictures of my "one shoe off, one shoe on" version of the "flying dismount" in T2. OMG this pic is way too big--but I don't know how to resize it--sorry!

Congrats!

2016-07-29 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31
Darren - Transcontinental Race Start at 10 pm tonight (that's 4pm US Eastern time, figure it out from there).  He will be updating via FB and IG.  His hashtag is #TCRNo4S111.  He'll be traveling with cell data off and updating via wifi when available.

Follow Darren Info
* first riders will finish on Sunday, August 7th, most are aiming for the party on Saturday, August 13th
* Darren is rider S111
* Map showing checkpoints: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1I-r56FOqJSuMRlZfYCjPCazS5Ow
* #TCRNo4S111

Steve follow up:  Any additional thoughts on the charity that we would like to use?  Virtual event in his honor?  We could set up something in Racery (http://racery.com/) and ask for donations (free race, ask for donations or paid race to raise money for our cause.)

Go Manatees!

Darren, your ride is amazing!! Good luck and have a lot of fun.

I thought I must have misread that Yanti is doing another ironman, but, nope, I read it right! 

ETA: The racery site looks pretty cool. I haven't explored it too much, but perhaps the free race with everyone making a donation.  I only say that b/c my limited review of the site, it seems that would be the most cost effective -most money  the cause solution. 

Edited by amd723 2016-07-29 10:07 AM
2016-07-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Awesome to see this! 

A little late to the party, but ditto!  Hope things are going well.

2016-07-29 10:15 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Follow Darren Info
* Darren is rider S111
* #TCRNo4S111

Goooo racers!

IM Maastrich is likely to be my next IM, so I'll need details, Yanti! 

2016-07-29 10:30 AM

User image

Love it!

Awesome picture!

No pic of the flying dismount? That would be a great one to have as a profile picture. Kinda like the picture they got of me falling in the Boulder 70.3.
2016-07-29 10:31 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Follow Darren Info
* Darren is rider S111
* #TCRNo4S111

Go racers! Have fun and smile for the cameras!

Darren, have the time of your life and be safe!

2016-07-29 10:33 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Follow Darren Info
* Darren is rider S111
* #TCRNo4S111

Good luck guys and have great races!

Wow Darren that is one hell of a race!
2016-07-29 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Follow Darren Info
* Darren is rider S111
* #TCRNo4S111

Awesome stuff!!! Looking forward to stalking Darren. Have fun racers!

For my long run tomorrow I am doing a training run for a 50k race that I'm not going to run   I just need a change of scenery and the chance to run with other people!

2016-07-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by TXTriRook I just watched the documentary The Barkley Marathons, it's available on iTunes for $0.99. Does anyone know anyone who's done one of these? Awesome movie and very motivating if you haven't seen it. Just figure I share with the group given all the ultra/marathon talk of late.

Hahaha I love the RD Gary Cantrell. I don't personally know anyone. It's a pretty select few that get the "opportunity"

He seems like such a character. Collecting clothes and licence plates as entry fees. Nuts! Opportunity is definitely one way to describe it. Apparently this documentary has really driven up the interest level but (for now) he's still keeping it to 30 or 40 participants. Gotta love the old school / not greedy mentality of this one.

I previously had no baseline to compare Jared Campbell to. No elite status trail runners had attempted it to my knowledge. When Gary Robbins failed and wrote his report I now know how truly badazz Jared is. http://garyrobbinsrun.com/blog/2016/4/barkley

One of Tony's co-workers from when he was working at Bloomberg asked to go and do a story on the Barkley Marathon before it became a documentary & said there wasn't enough money in the world that someone could pay him to make him attempt it!  Barkley Marathon

2016-07-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

ETA: The racery site looks pretty cool. I haven't explored it too much, but perhaps the free race with everyone making a donation.  I only say that b/c my limited review of the site, it seems that would be the most cost effective -most money  the cause solution. 

(Non Steve stuff removed)

Two thoughts on racery

1. We could go the free route and have a suggested donation to charity TBD in Steve's honor.  I think that this would be good for a more Manatee-centric group.  I'm thinking Appalachian Trail for this one.
  2. We could go the paid route with proceeds going to charity TBD in Steve's honor.  I think that this woudl be good for a more BT-at-large group.  I can price out Pacific Crest for this one. 

Overall, though, I agree that a free race with a suggestion to donate is probably the way to go.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.