BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Thought some of you might get a chuckle out of this. DS2 mentioned to me over the weekend that his new bike shop knows him by name...

(d convo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
d convo.jpg (49KB - 4 downloads)

2016-05-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

Thought some of you might get a chuckle out of this. DS2 mentioned to me over the weekend that his new bike shop knows him by name...

it's funny cuz it's true!!
2016-05-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

it's funny cuz it's true!!

lol!

2016-05-24 11:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Getting caught up after a long weekend!

Jim, that is awesome for your daughter!  Sorry she missed state but 3 PRs is fantastic!

TJ that recipe sounds yummy!  And I am very grateful that my training partner is a bike mechanic.  I bought him a $50 Sbux card the other day to say thanks for all he has done for me/my bike and he got upset with me.  I tried to explain that it was maybe 10% of what I would have had to spend if I had to take it to the LBS every time I needed something!

Tom, a 17min PR in a 10k is amazing!  Congrats.

Mary, congrats on the swim training PR, I love those!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

2016-05-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Getting caught up after a long weekend!

Jim, that is awesome for your daughter!  Sorry she missed state but 3 PRs is fantastic!

TJ that recipe sounds yummy!  And I am very grateful that my training partner is a bike mechanic.  I bought him a $50 Sbux card the other day to say thanks for all he has done for me/my bike and he got upset with me.  I tried to explain that it was maybe 10% of what I would have had to spend if I had to take it to the LBS every time I needed something!

Tom, a 17min PR in a 10k is amazing!  Congrats.

Mary, congrats on the swim training PR, I love those!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

Ha, yeah. Randy, the afore mentioned mechanic, is great about doing last minute little stuff for me when I come in, like small adjustments and tire changes etc. So whenever I pop in without an appointment I bring him a cup o' joe from Sbux.

2016-05-25 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Pod, I have to pop in and say a huge THANK YOU!
My ankle issues have mostly been unfolding in my logs (this thread moves so quick!) but the support I've gotten from everyone really helped me keep a perspective on things this last week. I had my first day of PT for peroneal tendonitis yesterday, and am feeling overall so much better about everything. Yes, injury sucks (and PT hurts, yo!) but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. A Manatee shaped light! Love you all!!

P.S. - wobble boards are from the devil. How can it be so hard?

2016-05-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Atlantia Pod, I have to pop in and say a huge THANK YOU! My ankle issues have mostly been unfolding in my logs (this thread moves so quick!) but the support I've gotten from everyone really helped me keep a perspective on things this last week. I had my first day of PT for peroneal tendonitis yesterday, and am feeling overall so much better about everything. Yes, injury sucks (and PT hurts, yo!) but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. A Manatee shaped light! Love you all!! P.S. - wobble boards are from the devil. How can it be so hard?

Glad you are on the road to recovery and have a great attitude.

2016-05-25 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I am scheduled to meet with Coach Scott this afternoon.  I've put a lot of thought in to it and I'd really like some guidance training for my 50 mile / metric century combo this fall. 

Funny, I'm a bit nervous about relinquishing "control" of my training. When thinking through why I'm nervous a couple things come to mind. 1) I like to be able to throw in "races" as supported training and 2) He's not an ultra runner. However, he is an Ironman so I feel more comfortable with him putting together a multi discipline plan than I would a ultra focused coach.

The good thing about this meeting is that I feel comfortable with him so I'm not intimidated to ask him questions about his plan. I'm not even sure what he'll ask for fees. There is an ultra coach (the RD for my 50k) who charges $90/mo. I think Coach Michi is about $100. If he's in that ballpark I'll be good. I think I'd even go a bit higher if I feel good about the situation. Knowing him he'll be kinda hands on anyway, inviting me to bike studio and strength training and the like.

2016-05-25 12:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Pod, I have to pop in and say a huge THANK YOU! My ankle issues have mostly been unfolding in my logs (this thread moves so quick!) but the support I've gotten from everyone really helped me keep a perspective on things this last week. I had my first day of PT for peroneal tendonitis yesterday, and am feeling overall so much better about everything. Yes, injury sucks (and PT hurts, yo!) but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. A Manatee shaped light! Love you all!! P.S. - wobble boards are from the devil. How can it be so hard?

I'm so glad you are making progress and have access to help.  A manatee shaped light, I love it!

2016-05-25 12:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I am scheduled to meet with Coach Scott this afternoon.  I've put a lot of thought in to it and I'd really like some guidance training for my 50 mile / metric century combo this fall. 

Funny, I'm a bit nervous about relinquishing "control" of my training. When thinking through why I'm nervous a couple things come to mind. 1) I like to be able to throw in "races" as supported training and 2) He's not an ultra runner. However, he is an Ironman so I feel more comfortable with him putting together a multi discipline plan than I would a ultra focused coach.

The good thing about this meeting is that I feel comfortable with him so I'm not intimidated to ask him questions about his plan. I'm not even sure what he'll ask for fees. There is an ultra coach (the RD for my 50k) who charges $90/mo. I think Coach Michi is about $100. If he's in that ballpark I'll be good. I think I'd even go a bit higher if I feel good about the situation. Knowing him he'll be kinda hands on anyway, inviting me to bike studio and strength training and the like.

Sounds like an agreement with Coach Scott could be a very good thing as he has experience training in multiple disciplines and long distances, and it will surely help that you are comfortable with him already and  have a relationship with him so there will hopefully be less of a getting to know you period.  Here's hoping he and you make a good team and he gets you where you want to be!

2016-05-25 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We're just glad that you are seeing some improvement! Hang in there!

2016-05-25 12:50 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Well that monkey is finally off my back.  I'm talking to you, SRDP (yearly review process at work)!  DONE! REVIEWED!  I still have a job!

Speaking of coaches, I'm less than happy with mine at the moment.  While he's never been much of an emailer or communicator, this season he's dropped off what little he had done to nothing.  With my race this past weekend, I didn't receive any pre-race emails (I don't think I did last year, either) and no 'how'd things go" email afterward, even though in my race log I wrote comments about what I felt I could've done better or things I wasn't happy with.  Part of me wants to dump him, but yet I want/need his help (by him creating workouts and sort-of answering any questions I may have along the way) to get through the season.  I think next year he will be gone, I'll let him go.  I'm hoping to be able to maybe change to the coach my pal LT switched to this year; he is a complete 180 from my guy as far as feedback and communication, I just have to convince myself I'm worth it, LOL.

Speaking of worth it, what is the group's thought on power meters?  Current coach is selling a Stages crank-based (single leg) power meter and I'm thinking about it, maybe...

2016-05-25 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Good stuff! I'm sure that your meeting will go well!  With Coach Maija, she didn't mind if I did supported training events as long is it was pretty darn close to the distance/duration that was on the plan. Coach Lisa seems to be a little bit more picky about that so far (I'm not worried, I can train her!).

FWIW, I was paying $100/mo for Maija and she had not raised her rates in forever.  I suspect that I was getting a bargain from Maija. Lisa costs a bit more than that but so far so good. This rate is for a training plan customized for me and my events and goals, not a group of people with a target race, not an off-the-shelf plan that you or I could just get out of a book. I think that's important.  When you start with a coach, allow at least 4-6 weeks to get settled into a new routine.

When I was checking out rates before setting on a coach, I did some research and this is what I came up with for possibilities and rates:

Without Limits ($150/mo), D3 ($165/mo for one-on-one), BritFit ($45/wk), OSB ($180/mo).  In addition, these two are consistently recommended on ST:  Brian Stover at http://www.slowtwitch.com/coaches/individual.php?coach_id=65(Desert dude), Coach Kurk at http://www.pbmcoaching.com/coaching-services/multisport/.

2016-05-25 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Glad things are moving in the right direction! And, yes, PT is hurty and wobble boards can make you look really uncoordinated!!

2016-05-25 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good luck with the meeting today, hope it goes as planned!

2016-05-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Well that monkey is finally off my back.  I'm talking to you, SRDP (yearly review process at work)!  DONE! REVIEWED!  I still have a job!

Speaking of coaches, I'm less than happy with mine at the moment.  While he's never been much of an emailer or communicator, this season he's dropped off what little he had done to nothing.  With my race this past weekend, I didn't receive any pre-race emails (I don't think I did last year, either) and no 'how'd things go" email afterward, even though in my race log I wrote comments about what I felt I could've done better or things I wasn't happy with.  Part of me wants to dump him, but yet I want/need his help (by him creating workouts and sort-of answering any questions I may have along the way) to get through the season.  I think next year he will be gone, I'll let him go.  I'm hoping to be able to maybe change to the coach my pal LT switched to this year; he is a complete 180 from my guy as far as feedback and communication, I just have to convince myself I'm worth it, LOL.

Speaking of worth it, what is the group's thought on power meters?  Current coach is selling a Stages crank-based (single leg) power meter and I'm thinking about it, maybe...

Yay, for keeping your job!!

Can you speak with your current coach and let him know how you feel and what you need/expect from him?

ETA: I know nothing about power meters, so can't help you there!

Edited by amd723 2016-05-25 1:02 PM

2016-05-25 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Is LT's coach taking on new athletes?  If you're that unhappy with your current coach, why not just make the change now?

Ugh!  I think that power meters are probably the way to go.  Thus far I have avoided them though, partly because I regularly use both my road bike and tri bike and partly because I have fallen out of love with my bike in the 20 months since my accident.  I think that I need to get more bike joy before going down that path.

I think that Karen, Darren and Randee each have power meters and I'm sure that Ben and MS Matt have the low down.

2016-05-25 1:16 PM

User image

Expert

I have two friends that love them and are addicted to the feed back they give (warning one is an engineer and the other a financial analyst, so both love math and graphs). Each has seen significant improvement since they started using power meters, and for longer distances, they find it easier to pace, because the focus isn't on feel, speed, or cadence, but how much power you are generating.
I have only used virtual power on trainer road, I have no idea how that translates on a bike.
2016-05-25 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm not big on the Stages mainly for the reason that I want to know exactly what my power output is.  That statement kind of opens a can of worms, but  I have a powertap G3, and I would recommend it, Quarq, or P2Max over a Stages.  

Without specifics on the power meter question, I will say that the power meter is a great tool, but without either a coach willing to analyze the data or a lot of time to study it is also a big waste.  I've seen people spend a lot of money just to have a number appear in front of a 'W' with zero idea what it actually means.

Edited by msteiner 2016-05-25 2:28 PM
2016-05-25 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

I love my power meter. I have the Garmin Vectors which is nice since I can switch between my road bike and Tri bike. You need to spend some time studying to understand the data or have a coach analyze it for you. I'm a data junkie so for me it comes natural.
2016-05-25 5:54 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

I love my power meter. I have the Garmin Vectors which is nice since I can switch between my road bike and Tri bike. You need to spend some time studying to understand the data or have a coach analyze it for you. I'm a data junkie so for me it comes natural.

Another pro-PM person... IF you're going to use the data for training (or just really like the data - no one says you have to use it a certain way to enjoy or justify it!  "Just cuz" works). 

That parenthetical out of the way, I have used it to good effect during more serious training blocks.  Times when I've been just JRA or having fun, it's been interesting but not "useful," for me.

During my training blocks, it's been fantastic to gauge progress and also to structure much more specific workouts for certain goals (rather than just riding hard or easy or the like - you can really geek out with the PM).  It helps me hit what I need to do for a certain effect.

I don't get as much out of it as I could, mind you, but have found it to be quite helpful.  I have a Quarg on my road and tri bikes.

Matt

2016-05-25 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
As of this year, I have both a coach and a PM. Goodness, I am getting fancy for the girl who did her first tri in a sports bra, men's counterfeit Speedo jammers, and a rental mountain bike. Please feel free to do a mercy killing if you ever see me wearing an aero helmet, though!

PM me if you want info on my coach. She was recommended by some people on BT, as well as my summer master's coach, who worked with her when she did her Ironman races. There are some other coaches from the same area who post on BT, and I've occasionally heard weird stories about rivalry, so I'd prefer to keep it private. She's definitely well-qualified and easy to work with; I feel like I have learned a lot and my training is better structured. Prior to working with her, I'd pretty much been writing my own plans for the past two years. When I started tri, I used "canned" plans from BT and elsewhere, but it was hard to make them work for me. Partly due to my usual training situation here; partly due to my background. I have a big run background and am a pretty strong swimmer by tri standards, so a lot of the plans felt like not enough running, and the swim workouts seemed like a joke. On the other hand, zero bike background except for commuting and casual touring, so the bike parts always seemed too hard. I just sucked as a biker and had little idea about bow to improve beyond "bike more", which I guess counts for something! The result was I ended up combining plans like Jorge's cycling plan, swimming from a master's site, and running from a run site or more advanced tri plan. The problem with that is that total training load is not balanced (since three different coaches wrote the plans for different athletes!) and I wasn't getting enough recovery. I realized I just don't have the knowledge base to do a good job of planning my training right now. After I did Vietnam 70.3 last year, and then did a 5:32 HIM in the summer, I decided I was getting close enough to qualifying for Worlds that a coach might be a worthwhile investment. I work REALLY hard in training, and felt like I wasn't really reaping the benefits of it due to my lack of knowledge/experience in the sport.

My one caveat about this coach is communication can be a bit spotty. She always responds quickly to e-mail; workouts, not that consistent. I know she has a lot of athletes, including some elites and pros, and when a key race is coming up that involves several of them, communication lags more. She has a couple of other coaches (also women) that work with her, so they might be taking on new athletes if she is not.

RE the power meter--I have a P2Max and am happy with it. It's really useful for my training situation--probably 90% of my bike training in Vietnam is on the trainer, and I need a metric that I can "translate" to riding outdoors in a race situation, or when I do train outdoors. Due to the heat and difficulty of carrying enough hydration (no place to buy it where I ride outdoors), I generally split any ride over 3 hours between outdoors and the trainer. Speed is useless as an indoor/outdoor metric; HR nearly so as it's extremely hot for outdoor training and races whereas I usually ride with the AC on. That's a difference of about 20 degrees F, sometimes 30, so trying to pace by HR would be like apples and oranges.

Drawbacks--stupid but true. I have trouble seeing the Garmin display in a race situation. Part of it is just sweat and adrenaline; I think I need to get prescription sunglasses for racing too as my vision is not great at the best of times! So it hasn't been as useful as I thought in races. It can also be difficult to keep power steady in the very windy conditions I often train and race in. Still learning how to do that. But overall it's great as a training tool, particularly for a controlled environment like the trainer or a predictable loop.
2016-05-26 3:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Manatees,

I had a really good race on Sunday - I beat my goal time by a little over 2 minutes. My Irish sister came up at the last minute and joined us, she is now absolutely hooked and is looking for more races to do. We had a really good time but unfortunately I had to leave early to catch my plane.

I have been away for a conference on how to support LGBIT students within a school context from both a pastoral care and legal view point (I hope I haven't offended anyone by using that acronym).

It was amazingly eye opening for me and I have come away from it praying that we can find workable ways of supporting these kids and making their lives easier. I know that a number of Manatees have very personal experiences with this and I would love to hear any suggestions that you have that you think could be applicable to a school setting, if you want to PM me.

Warning rant to follow

How the hell does a $200 per night hotel not have a gym? Seriously what's with that?

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!(you might need to google this)

Ended up at this hotel because the conference organisers arranged it after they didn't reserve enough rooms at the hotel where the conference was held. Granted it was in walking distance to the conference venue but it's lack of gym seriously messed up my plans for the week. Note to self check hotel facilities next time and if no gym find an alternative.

Ok my rant is done.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-05-26 3:41 AM
2016-05-26 7:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So much catching up, so little time! 

TJ - DS2 cracks me up. Have fun with Coach Scott. I am not a user of coaching, but I think communication and comfort go a long way.

Jim - i am loving your daughter's race reaction. Swimming PR's are a cool thing and should be recognized as such. Missing out is simply fuel to burn the fire, I hope!

Melanie - Job keeping is always a good thing! See my coach beliefs above. I think now is the time to move. Waiting will not help you see the improvements you seem to be chasing. Not a PM guy either (you get the sense I'm not as commited as some others???) but I have seen other folks use them with great results. They are simply a tool that one must learn to use. Or know someone that knows how to use them.

Karen - What type of Garmin are you using with the PM? I'm not sure on displays, but can you adjust it to  fit you better? Or place it different? Or buy a bigger one? Probably glasses being the best bet, for seeing the screen and overall safety. Either way, thank you for your well thought out response for Melanie. It has been really cool to watch you from afar this year and see you make the improvements you have.

Laura - I hope you are doing well and continue to heal up. I agree with something I saw elsewhere, Janyne is one of the nicest people ever. https://www.instagram.com/laurayouldon/

Stacey - I'm glad you had a good experience at your conference, even though the gym was non-existent. I spent some time with DD2, who manages a YMCA youth/schhool aged program and I can't imagine all the changes in that industry. The legality  of it all must be overwhelming at times. I won't get into my views on it at all here, but I will indeed pray for anyone that struggles through this sort of thing. And I'll pray for those working with those kids as well, because there is no way that can be a simple job.

For those of you that haven't been following along, Janyne and I and some others have been having a discussion in the Inspires/Blogs and such for a while on the value of "Social Networks", not in the Twitter/Facebook sense but in those networks of people that you know.  It has made me much more aware. I have found it really interesting. I believe that we are much deeper and connected in our network than it might appear when on the outside looking in. I want to just say thank you agiain for all that each of you brings to this little social network. And give a thought to Janyne's question: Are you getting what you expect/want/need from the group?

If anyone is truly bored for a minute or 2, feel free to check out the TreeUmph video in my blog. Fun stuff, but I'd really like to get back to training again soon!

2016-05-26 7:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

For those of you that haven't been following along, Janyne and I and some others have been having a discussion in the Inspires/Blogs and such for a while on the value of "Social Networks", not in the Twitter/Facebook sense but in those networks of people that you know.  It has made me much more aware. I have found it really interesting. I believe that we are much deeper and connected in our network than it might appear when on the outside looking in. I want to just say thank you agiain for all that each of you brings to this little social network. And give a thought to Janyne's question: Are you getting what you expect/want/need from the group?

I've been reading a book -- Connecting to Change the World -- for work and participating in a discussion about it.  In my mind, I have been using the Manatees as my example social network.  One of the things that I found very interesting is that it pretty much explains why the mentor groups are a good thing (see also, Where Did all the BTers go?);-)

Anywho, this is what I wrote in my training blog about this last week.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I've been reading a book for work called Connecting to Change the World and using the Manatees as my personal example as I think of the ideas discussed in the book.  The book is about building social networks to affect change.  One example is a network of city planners who created a group around sustainability and climate change.  They put together resources to help each other with planning around that topic.

One idea that comes up a a lot in the book is Value Proposition. Generosity of members - what do you want to get out of the network and what do you put into it?  So, using the Manatees as an example, what do I get out of the group?  What can I contribute?  My personal answer is: Getting to know people. Getting and giving support. Giving and receiving advice about s/b/r.  Support.  Connecting to a group of people who can relate.

If you are a Manatee, are you getting what you expect/want/need from the group?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.