BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-30 6:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by Hot Runner

After my HIM last year (where we ran along the beach for 3 or 4 miles, and I REALLY mean along the beach, as in in the sand right at the water's edge), I took my mom back to that beach for a walk, because it was so beautiful, and took some pictures (I think two are in my race report for Toughman Ocean Shores). I remember she noticed for the first time that you can see the sky reflected in the pools left after the tide goes out. Definitely not the kind of thing you would notice when racing. She doesn't run or do tri, so a lot of times after "race-cation" events, we will bike the course, or part of it. the next day.

That sounds really cool! I am so interested I think I'm gonna search for your report to see those pics

Edited by marysia83 2016-04-30 6:39 PM

2016-04-30 6:43 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I went for a longer bike today to see how it feels to ride 25 miles in preparation for my very first Oly. The plan was to *try* running after such distance to get a sense. O.....m.....g.... While the ride was pretty fun (I did 23 miles, it was miserable just because it was cold and raining, but I was not too tired from biking), I tried running just around the parking lot and I barely managed not to land on my face...............
It seems like there's gonna be a lot of brick work for me to make sure I actually make 6 miles after the bike. It scared me. Even more than swimming 1,500 m before all of that....
I also wanted to share some of the pictures, since we are talking about enjoying what's around us during the race or training. I have never thought such nice swamp-jungle-like areas were in Chicago. I really felt like in fairy tales for a moment

Edited by marysia83 2016-04-30 6:46 PM

(24.jpg)

(23.jpg)

(25.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
24.jpg (229KB - 4 downloads)
23.jpg (366KB - 3 downloads)
25.jpg (232KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-30 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The sky reflection pic is not there--will try to post it here if it's on my computer. I think the pics are seagulls taking off and landing, and people strolling on the beach. It's really a weird perspective here--maybe I am lying in the water taking the picture. At the very upper edge are some sand dunes and people strolling on the beach; the rest is the water and sky reflected in it. I have some pics I published of a remote area in the Himalayas where a big part of it is the amazing blue sky and clouds that dwarf everything else so you feel really small; trying to do that in reverse here, to kind of weird effect.

ETA I guess there are some stripes of reflected sky in one of the RR shots; this is the crazy one where Mom said, "What are you DOING?"

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-30 8:33 PM

(DSCN5344.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN5344.JPG (3342KB - 2 downloads)
2016-04-30 8:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas
Catching up on all the posts. Was out of town for work for a couple of days and this weekend is all about getting stuff lined up for our trip back home to Germany next week. We will be there for 2 1/2 weeks and I will have to see how much training I can get in. I already know I won't be able to bike any at all. I should be able to squeeze one or two swims in and then we will see how it feels like running with some actual hills and cooler temperatures.

I'm looking forward of course to seeing all of my family over there. Parents, Brother, Niece and Nephew, Tons of Aunts, Uncles and cousins. It will be fun.

On one of the days I get to meet up with a buddy of mine who's the current German Ironman distance champion in my age group. He decided at age 40 that he wanted to complete an Ironman and actually finished sub 10 hours on his first try. In his 2nd year he qualified for Kona and has qualified every year but once I believe. He almost went sub 9 hours on his win in Germany at Challenge Roth last year. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with him and picking his brain.
2016-04-30 9:13 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Brick runs get easier. I did my first tri never having done one and honestly thought I would fall flat on my face. It was "only" 5K, and I'd recently run a fast half-marathon, but I had to walk a few times in the final half-mile of the 5K, and really did almost face-plant at the finish (it was a little ramp up to a beach shelter, and my quads were so far gone I couldn't go up). Guessing that after 3-4 times, you will get used to it. Now, most of the time, even after a 3-4 hour or even longer ride, my legs feel pretty normal, albeit a bit tired, within 5 or at most 10 minutes.
2016-04-30 9:38 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by marysia83I went for a longer bike today to see how it feels to ride 25 miles in preparation for my very first Oly. The plan was to *try* running after such distance to get a sense. O.....m.....g.... While the ride was pretty fun (I did 23 miles, it was miserable just because it was cold and raining, but I was not too tired from biking), I tried running just around the parking lot and I barely managed not to land on my face...............It seems like there's gonna be a lot of brick work for me to make sure I actually make 6 miles after the bike. It scared me. Even more than swimming 1,500 m before all of that.... I also wanted to share some of the pictures, since we are talking about enjoying what's around us during the race or training. I have never thought such nice swamp-jungle-like areas were in Chicago. I really felt like in fairy tales for a moment
Bricks can take some getting used to. Don't go overboard though, jut tag on a 5 minute jog onto the end of your bike sessions. A good tip when coming in off a bike ride is to drop a few gears and pick up the cadence a little. Then, when you start running, take your time until you body/mind gets used to what is fast and slow. You've just come in from travelling at 13-20 mph, down to 5-8 mph. What may seem slow to you may actually be on the fast end of your running paces. I always tend to run off too fast on brick runs.

2016-04-30 10:52 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
John--Have to ask....by any chance is this German guy's name Gerd (or Gert?) Escher? Someone I met while working in China who was a top German master's runner. I think he might be older, though, maybe mid to late 50's. Always wondered if he took up tri since he was also a strong cyclist. I don't do Facebook so not sure what he's up to these days. Mom and I visited him and his family in Germany about a decade back.
2016-05-01 5:25 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

John--Have to ask....by any chance is this German guy's name Gerd (or Gert?) Escher? Someone I met while working in China who was a top German master's runner. I think he might be older, though, maybe mid to late 50's. Always wondered if he took up tri since he was also a strong cyclist. I don't do Facebook so not sure what he's up to these days. Mom and I visited him and his family in Germany about a decade back.

No. His name is Hansi Schulz. He used to be a former football player (which is rare in Germany) and a bobsledder.
2016-05-01 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marysia83

I went for a longer bike today to see how it feels to ride 25 miles in preparation for my very first Oly. The plan was to *try* running after such distance to get a sense. O.....m.....g.... While the ride was pretty fun (I did 23 miles, it was miserable just because it was cold and raining, but I was not too tired from biking), I tried running just around the parking lot and I barely managed not to land on my face...............
It seems like there's gonna be a lot of brick work for me to make sure I actually make 6 miles after the bike. It scared me. Even more than swimming 1,500 m before all of that....
I also wanted to share some of the pictures, since we are talking about enjoying what's around us during the race or training. I have never thought such nice swamp-jungle-like areas were in Chicago. I really felt like in fairy tales for a moment

Nice pics of the enchanted forest.
It takes about 20-30 minutes off of the bike to feel normal. Until then you will feel like a baby giraffe. Part of the purpose of the brick is to get over the shock of running while your hamstrings a stretched out more than usual. I was taught that both parts of the brick should be at least 30 minutes.
2016-05-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My coach has had me doing some bricks that are as short as 10 minutes--that would normally be after a shorter, pretty intense trainer ride. (Training for a HIM, so by "shorter", I mean in the 60-80 minute range!) I think the longest brick run I've done this year has been 35 or 40 minutes. In the past I have gone up to 50-52 minutes in HIM training, after a ride of about 3:15 or 3:30. Definitely the brick shouldn't be longer than the total race time. I think the longest I have done this year is a 4:15 ride followed by a 25 or 30-minute run. For an Oly, it might be a 2-hour-ish ride followed by a 30-minute run, which puts me pretty close to my best Oly time (2:34).

The purpose is not to run the race distance or anywhere close after biking (the bike might be closer to race distance, though, or in some cases even longer), but to get used to the feeling of transitioning from biking to running, running at a controlled pace despite how you feel, making sure that the fluids and nutrition you took in on the bike sit well in your stomach for the run, etc. It's not necessary to run for that long to get used to it. 30 minutes for an Oly brick run sounds on the long side to me; probably wouldn't go much further than that.
2016-05-02 9:07 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you guys for your advice and support! I'm glad to know experienced triathletes also know the feeling of baby giraffe (I love that comparison!)
I go to spin class on Tuesdays, it's 40 minutes class, I am thinking of few minutes run after that workout. Then, of course, bricks over the weekend.

I hope all the racers had a great weekend and DLs are feeling better. Happy Monday!

2016-05-02 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am hobbling away from the DL list, I did a trainer ride with a bike shoe on! This week I am going to try to go for some walk/runs and see how it goes. It is amazing how such a minor injury can affect one so majorly.

Happy Monday Manatees.

2016-05-02 11:32 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

I am hobbling away from the DL list, I did a trainer ride with a bike shoe on! This week I am going to try to go for some walk/runs and see how it goes. It is amazing how such a minor injury can affect one so majorly.

Happy Monday Manatees.

Good luck! Here's hoping the DL will be in your rear view

2016-05-02 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you guys for your advice and support! I'm glad to know experienced triathletes also know the feeling of baby giraffe (I love that comparison!) I go to spin class on Tuesdays, it's 40 minutes class, I am thinking of few minutes run after that workout. Then, of course, bricks over the weekend. I hope all the racers had a great weekend and DLs are feeling better. Happy Monday!

It's definitely good to know the feeling - it's a strange one, for sure. It's great that you're eager to get it going - but I recommend you just pick once a week to do it. No need to really do more. 

I hardly ever do them anymore - a few closer to race day but that's about it. 

2016-05-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

I hear that Disney has some races...

Been there, done that, got the tech shirt. 

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

I was gonna say, we need a Manatee racecation or relay or C&O trail ride or something.  Zion half or Ragnar or Disney 2018 or a marathon relay or something.

2016-05-02 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have always wanted to do one of those canal swims. I think it would be fun to actually go somewhere other than in a circle (or rectangle, or triangle or whatever) in a lake or the ocean. Just realised I missed one--either IM Austria, or the 70.3 there (where Worlds were last year). Last year my AG field at Vietnam 70.3 was very weak and I really believed I missed qualifying for Worlds that day due to being sick. Have had many happy trips to Austria that involved run, bike, and even swim, though not an actual race, and I cried watching the video of Worlds there.

I love your list!  France and NZ and Austria :-D

2016-05-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy birthday Eric. Some races I'd like to do - whether I have the ability to do them justice is another matter.IM Lanzarote. IM St George 70.3. Vineman.IM Austria 70.3.London Marathon.Berlin Marathon.Trans Vulcania.Trans American bike race.Route 66 bike race. @ a more leisurely pace

Nice list!  The St. George marathon is actually something that has interested me for a while.  It's such a beautiful place!  September and October tend to be race heavy here so it hasn't made the schedule just yet.  One day!  London is also something that interests me as does Edinburgh.

I'd do Vineman again!

So many races!

2016-05-02 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Brick runs get easier. I did my first tri never having done one and honestly thought I would fall flat on my face. It was "only" 5K, and I'd recently run a fast half-marathon, but I had to walk a few times in the final half-mile of the 5K, and really did almost face-plant at the finish (it was a little ramp up to a beach shelter, and my quads were so far gone I couldn't go up). Guessing that after 3-4 times, you will get used to it. Now, most of the time, even after a 3-4 hour or even longer ride, my legs feel pretty normal, albeit a bit tired, within 5 or at most 10 minutes.

+1

They get easier.  Try to do at least one brick a week if you can.

2016-05-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Effin chafing in effin places I've never effin chafed before. Fudge.
2016-05-02 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
So, What's your list Janyne? There was talk of us coming over to Disney Christmas 2017, January 2018, possibly for the Dopey, but I still haven't started saving for the 10k bill :/ blooming bikes
2016-05-02 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr So, What's your list Janyne? There was talk of us coming over to Disney Christmas 2017, January 2018, possibly for the Dopey, but I still haven't started saving for the 10k bill :/ blooming bikes

My list is more things that tickle my fancy than goal races.  I have mostly running races on my list right now because Kevin is really over non-car trips for a tris.  I can get him there but we've mostly been talking running events because it makes travel so much easier.  Also, since I'm coming off run focus, that's just what's been on the brain.  Anyway, it's all subject to change but here goes:

Fargo, St. George, Zion half, Chicago, London, Lisbon half, Edinburgh (either full or half), Berlin, NYRR Brooklyn half, RnR San Diego half. Maybe Napa to Sonoma?

For tris: Vineman again? IMMT?, B2B again? Maryland? (wine will help get Kevin over the bike shipping thing)

Kevin said that if there is a Manatee Meetup for Disney 2018, it is approved.  I haven't thought a lot about what events I would do there.  In other words, it could be a half marathon or it could be Dopey/Goofy.  Who knows?!

2016-05-02 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr So, What's your list Janyne? There was talk of us coming over to Disney Christmas 2017, January 2018, possibly for the Dopey, but I still haven't started saving for the 10k bill :/ blooming bikes

My list is more things that tickle my fancy than goal races.  I have mostly running races on my list right now because Kevin is really over non-car trips for a tris.  I can get him there but we've mostly been talking running events because it makes travel so much easier.  Also, since I'm coming off run focus, that's just what's been on the brain.  Anyway, it's all subject to change but here goes:

Fargo, St. George, Zion half, Chicago, London, Lisbon half, Edinburgh (either full or half), Berlin, NYRR Brooklyn half, RnR San Diego half. Maybe Napa to Sonoma?

For tris: Vineman again? IMMT?, B2B again? Maryland? (wine will help get Kevin over the bike shipping thing)

Kevin said that if there is a Manatee Meetup for Disney 2018, it is approved.  I haven't thought a lot about what events I would do there.  In other words, it could be a half marathon or it could be Dopey/Goofy.  Who knows?!

I don't really have any particular races on my list either, but I have been keeping with a no Disney race theme  However, if there is a manatee meetup in 2018 I am sure I can get over my "I'm over Disney" feeling and do something that weekend.  I can guarantee you it will not be Dopey though!! 

2016-05-02 2:15 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Did I see Chicago???? Yey! Yey!
2016-05-02 2:16 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Effin chafing in effin places I've never effin chafed before. Fudge.

Ouch.... :/
2016-05-02 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Did I see Chicago???? Yey! Yey!

Yes, I have it penciled in for next fall.  I have Chattanooga this fall.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.