General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in left leg during/after running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-12 10:06 AM

Subject: Pain in left leg during/after running?
Hi guys,
So I attempted my first marathon 26.2 miles this past weekend. I only made it to mile 17.5 and had to quit. First off, the marathon took place during a snow blizzard pretty much, and everything just kept falling apart on me.

My left knee had been bothering me, but with kinsenology tape, I taped it up and it was fine. My left foot is what actually took me out of the race. It felt like the bottom of my foot was broken, right behind my toes. I just couldn't stand on it anymore. It felt as bad as shin splints in full force and those last 9 miles were going to feel like 18. I already ran so far in the snow and I just had nothing left.

Anyways, it seems like my left leg is taking way too much abuse somehow. My right leg and foot were perfectly fine throughout the race. Felt wonderful. But my left leg seems to always be hurting. Is this because I run too much on the bank on the left side of the road? I guess its sort of deeper there, but that's where I normally do my runs. How can I even this out? I have to run against the traffic. Please help. THanks!

2016-04-13 7:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pain in left leg during/after running?
Couple of possibilities:

1. Could be that there is a minor leg length difference. That might explain why most/all of your issues are with one leg. It's fairly common and can be easily corrected with orthotics (shoe inserts).

2. You could also have a strength imbalance between the two legs. A physical therapist or qualified personal trainer would probably be able to identify that and suggest some corrective strength work.

3. There may also be other structural or biomechanical quirks that make you less symmetrical and more prone to injury on one side. For example, one of my feet is a half-size smaller than the other, with a higher arch. This causes me no end of grief without really having the right shoes! Options to figure this out might be a physical therapist, podiatrist, or gait analysis by a coach or running store (although not all of the latter are qualified). You could check the wear pattern on your shoes to see if it's symmetrical; if it's not, that might be an indication that something is amiss.

4. It could simply be a matter of favoring the knee injury affecting your stride, especially as you became fatigued (and cold) during the marathon, which then led to the foot pain. In general, if anything is hurting even a little bit, running a marathon on it is not going to improve matters and, due to compensation, may well lead to a new problem. (Don't ask how I know this!)

5. Maybe the pitch of the road is causing or contributing to the problem. If you have to run facing traffic (as I usually do), would it be possible to alternate directions on your long runs? For my long run, I basically run two hour-ish loops (because I have to stop at home to refill with water, and anyway there isn't anywhere else safe to run around here). The road is noticeably pitched in most places, so I make it a point to run the first loop in one direction, and the second in the opposite. For shorter runs, you can also make it a point to alternate direction on your loops on different days.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-13 7:39 AM
2016-04-17 6:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Subject: RE: Pain in left leg during/after running?
1. That is a strong possibility. I already know my left foot is bigger than my right one... Never measured my leg height though.
2. Also another strong possibility. I've been told that my left calf is much bigger than my right one.
3. I know my left foot is bigger, but I believe the arches are somewhat similar. My wear patterns are pretty much similar.
4. I think this is what has happened. In all honesty, I believe it was the ankle support I was wearing. It rolled up under my foot and created sort of a thick cylinder shape under there. Being cold under my feet, I didn't notice it while I was running on it, until it was too late.
5. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Couple of possibilities:

1. Could be that there is a minor leg length difference. That might explain why most/all of your issues are with one leg. It's fairly common and can be easily corrected with orthotics (shoe inserts).

2. You could also have a strength imbalance between the two legs. A physical therapist or qualified personal trainer would probably be able to identify that and suggest some corrective strength work.

3. There may also be other structural or biomechanical quirks that make you less symmetrical and more prone to injury on one side. For example, one of my feet is a half-size smaller than the other, with a higher arch. This causes me no end of grief without really having the right shoes! Options to figure this out might be a physical therapist, podiatrist, or gait analysis by a coach or running store (although not all of the latter are qualified). You could check the wear pattern on your shoes to see if it's symmetrical; if it's not, that might be an indication that something is amiss.

4. It could simply be a matter of favoring the knee injury affecting your stride, especially as you became fatigued (and cold) during the marathon, which then led to the foot pain. In general, if anything is hurting even a little bit, running a marathon on it is not going to improve matters and, due to compensation, may well lead to a new problem. (Don't ask how I know this!)

5. Maybe the pitch of the road is causing or contributing to the problem. If you have to run facing traffic (as I usually do), would it be possible to alternate directions on your long runs? For my long run, I basically run two hour-ish loops (because I have to stop at home to refill with water, and anyway there isn't anywhere else safe to run around here). The road is noticeably pitched in most places, so I make it a point to run the first loop in one direction, and the second in the opposite. For shorter runs, you can also make it a point to alternate direction on your loops on different days.

Hope some of this is helpful!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in left leg during/after running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races)

Started by Kdea
Views: 1612 Posts: 4

2011-07-14 4:51 PM Kdea

Severe leg pain during marathon training

Started by aargenz1
Views: 1045 Posts: 2

2008-01-11 11:28 PM cdom

quad pain during run

Started by joseph-63
Views: 843 Posts: 3

2007-10-28 8:28 PM joseph-63

Pain on left leg just above ankle extending to below the knee

Started by FentressJET
Views: 2696 Posts: 11

2006-12-27 8:04 PM FentressJET

Lower leg pain during/after running

Started by newgirl
Views: 1085 Posts: 3

2004-11-11 5:40 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.
date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : April 2, 2006
I've been having mild pain on my right leg when I run. The pain occurs when running and is present for a few hours afterwards, then is gone. Do you have any ideas?