General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Converting a road bike to a TT bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-15 6:15 PM

User image

Subject: Converting a road bike to a TT bike
Hi friends,

I am a broke college student so I'm hoping to convert my road bike into a TT bike for an Ironman later this year. I'm wondering what your opinions are regarding this and what could be my best set up. What I am planning on doing, so far, is adding clip-aero bars, off-set seat post, and possibly (I just read about this) a drop track stem. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you all in advance!

2016-04-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: afin03

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Converting a road bike to a TT bike
Don't do it... the geometry of a road bike is designed with a rearward weight balance, and moving everything forward will cause imbalance. Stick with the road geometry, add shortie (aka ITU) bars and do not change the seat post or stem. You have a road bike, try to make it the best road bike it can be, not a mediocre attempt of a tri bike.
2016-04-18 4:56 AM

User image

IMHO the most important thing you need are the aerobars, I got some shorties like mentioned above, but I was not comfortable with them at all. Was not able to relax on them as I felt really cramped due to the short distance from the tip of the aerobar to where you elbows/forearms should rest.
Got a pair of normal longer aero bars and got very comfortable. Moved my saddle slightly forwarded and very soon realized I needed a new saddle as the pressure on my groin was very different when I was leaning on the aerobars.
Maybe I was lucky but I found a middle ground where my (new) saddle was still in a fairly normal position so I was comfortable on the drop bar as well as the aero without having to change any stems or posts.

So my advice: aerobars (test the length, are your elbows in the "cup" when your hands grip the front, or do you overshoot by a lot. If the latter, get longer aerobars. And possibly saddle, but that you will figure out after riding with the aerobars.
2016-04-18 10:12 AM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
I added aerobars and moved my saddle forward to shorten the cockpit. This let me be more on top of my elbows in the aero position. This improved my comfort dramatically. Aditionally, a 100 dollar aerocover from wheel buildeer for the rear wheel was a cheap and fast upgrade. There are also carbon wheels from chinese companies that are ridiculously cheap. easy upgrades for performance aerodynamics
2016-04-19 12:17 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
i did my IMLOU on a road bike. Anything is possible ;-)
2016-04-20 4:00 PM
in reply to: slides

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I got a Retul fit that resulted in me adding aerobars, a FF seatpost and a new stem onto my road bike. I was very close to the optimum TT position that way. Some road bike geometry can lend themselves to a decent TT position but it depends.....

I was quite competitive on that road bike in Olympic and HIM races (21 mph ave. in 70.3 races, 23-24 mph in Oly races so it can be done.

2016-04-27 7:22 AM
in reply to: #5177451

For races I roll with clip on aerobars, and a profile design fast forward seatpost on my road bike. Also I'd recommend getting a tri specific saddle. I haven't done a full, but 3 olys and 2 halfs and maybe 10 sprints on the setup, comfortable and fast enough to be competitive.

Others are correct it does compromise handling and balance a bit but by no means does that say you can't or shouldn't do it. Just be aware of it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Converting a road bike to a TT bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TT/Tri Bike Brake Caliper vs Road Bike Brake Caliper

Started by Ronnieosy
Views: 1456 Posts: 4

2013-04-11 8:47 AM cgregg

Road Bike Converted to Tri Bike

Started by danfleck1
Views: 3080 Posts: 9

2010-04-05 10:16 AM qclabrat

TT bike to Road Bike?

Started by LonghornSpencer
Views: 1365 Posts: 8

2010-03-28 8:15 AM audiojan

1980 road bike vs 2008 TT bike

Started by Organic Steam
Views: 1695 Posts: 8

2008-04-22 4:44 PM mhan22

'converting' a road bike to tri bike

Started by chuckiep
Views: 873 Posts: 2

2005-06-17 8:08 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 12, 2011
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.