General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DIY bike rack for inside SUV Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-16 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: DIY bike rack for inside SUV

Got a new RAV 4 SUV, partially so I could carry my bike inside the car instead of on a rack on the back.  The problem was that the bike could not sit upright even with the front wheel off, so I built a fairly simple bike rack for the back that would allow the bike to sit at about a 45 degree angle completely freeing up half the back for gear, suitcases, etc.  Took less than $50 of parts and went together in a few hours.

Basic design used 2" PVC pipe.  The frame rests on a tee joint cut in half on the long axis.  The wheels are in a 5' section bisected by a tee joint with the top half of the PVC cut out where the wheels go.  Frame and wheels are held to the mount with Velcro wrap, and the mount itself is secured to the body of the car with a Velcro wrap in the rear and a bungee cord right by the front wheel.  I took an old towel and cut it up to use for padding between the mount and frame and mount an wheels.  Drove around all afternoon to see how stable it was and it is solid as a rock.  Thought I'd share in case anyone else was in the same position of wanting to be able to get better space utilization out of their SUV when hauling their bike. 

Here's what it looks like:

2016-04-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: DIY bike rack for inside SUV

What the rack looks like all by itself:

2016-04-16 9:54 PM

User image

Pretty nifty.  When you have some time I would look into somehow gluing some rubber padding over the edges of the contact points.

Also, if you spent a little more time with this, you could probably design a similar system for two bikes which may actually have some value.  My guess is that a lot of people just traveling with one bike will either just lay the bike flat, or throw a towel over something and lean it on that.  But once you have two bikes, in a car with limited height space...I'm betting there are people that way pay for something like this.  

2016-04-17 5:48 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Yeah, a two bike version would be pretty cool.  I can get two in the back of my Matrix but I have to put one on top of the other with a blanket between them and some strategic placement so things don't get damaged.  

Nice work on what you've done!

2016-04-17 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Nicely done.

2016-04-17 6:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Jason N

Pretty nifty.  When you have some time I would look into somehow gluing some rubber padding over the edges of the contact points.

I was thinking the same thing about the padding. I made a make shift bike stand and used the rubber tubes they use for insulating pipes as padding. Get the largest size you can and cut it open (if it isn't already. Then some strategic shallow cuts will allow it to expand and fit around enough of the pvc to act as a good padding.

Agree with the other comment on a 2 bike version. Sometimes I like to travel with both my tri & road bikes which is problematic in my suv.

Good job.

2016-04-18 8:58 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions about adding the padding.  Good advice to permanently mount something there rather than to have the towels which could get lost in packing/unpacking, not be put in quite right, or shift around. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DIY bike rack for inside SUV Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kuat Beta Bike Rack vs the Saris Axis Bike Rack

Started by Tripleplay44
Views: 899 Posts: 1

2015-12-28 2:39 PM Tripleplay44

Roof Rack for SUV

Started by ried0428
Views: 1158 Posts: 16

2012-10-02 8:39 AM ajminn

How to fit two bikes in the back of an SUV

Started by myred86
Views: 12277 Posts: 25

2012-01-29 6:50 PM indianacyclist

Bike in the back of your SUV...

Started by thebigb
Views: 3950 Posts: 22

2011-06-24 6:26 AM monkeyboy64

Roof top bike racks and SUV?

Started by ydarb
Views: 5257 Posts: 10

2008-04-16 4:12 PM peto_primo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain on the inside of the ankle is a frustrating issue to deal with, here are many structures present on the inside of the ankle, which can also make the diagnosis difficult for health care providers.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!