General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaSprint Series Singapore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MetaSprint Series Singapore Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Changi,
Singapore
MetaSport
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 47s
Overall Rank = 8/214
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:10. Had two granola bars, coffee. Got stuff together and took a van taxi to the start. (Normally I can ride to the venue from the hotel but venue was changed a week before the race; had to get a taxi as it was 11 miles away and still dark out.)
Event warmup:

About 12 minutes of running--easy jogging with some strides. Then maybe five minutes of swim warmup.
Swim
  • 15m 51s
  • 900 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt like I had a good swim and was well up in the field, which has become much stronger on the swim over the last few years as many very strong juniors have moved up and entered the elite wave. (I was 23rd on the aquathlon swim.) But my time was very slow. Course must be very long.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. i felt I had a very strong swim and did a good job of race execution on this leg.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Okay transition for me. Top 10% for women. No real difficulties. Just did what needed to be done. No problem finding bike or getting to bike out.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 33m 10s
  • 18 kms
  • 32.56 km/hr
Comments:

This is the highest I have placed overall on the bike in this race. I also gave up less time to the top women on this leg. But think I paid for it on the run! Ran into difficulty when I started having some asthma issues around the beginning of the last leg. I was able to keep it under control by drinking a lot, but it really affected my T2 and run.

I was not in aero nearly as much as I should have been, and was really cautious on some of the technical parts. I've done very little outdoor riding for various reasons this spring, and the course was much more technical than at the original venue. I felt like I didn't ride up to my ability owing to lack of confidence/bike handling skills with all the turns and sharp curves.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Pretty slow as my legs were wobbly and these bike shoes are hard to run in; I also was feeling short of breath and a bit dizzy as I was wheezing for most of the last lap of the bike.

Have my inhaler waiting in T2. I'd left it in bag drop, thinking I wouldn't need it as I wasn't sick. Apparently something on the course triggered it. There were a lot of flowering trees so probably a combo of pollen and hard effort. OMG, what a sucky run. Plus maybe try to learn the flying dismount. My bike shoes just suck for running.
Run
  • 21m 55s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Miserable suck-fest of a run. Breathing felt difficult, especially for the first lap, and legs felt dead. By the second lap, my breathing was better, but legs still dead and started feeling like I was going to puke. Just trying to finish.

Just push it anyway. It would still suck, but I might have been able to get a place or two higher.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt nauseous so didn't do a cooldown run. Really wanted to take a cold shower but there weren't any beach showers at this venue. Tried to eat but that made me feel sick again. Went in the ocean for a bit to cool off but the choppy surf started to make me nauseous. Finally just lay under a tree till awards, Then I had to ride 11 miles back to the hotel, which I guess constitutes a "cooldown", although it was probably 100 degrees by then, so not sure what was "cool" about it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Asthma issues, probably related to allergies. I was sneezing a lot when downtown on Friday, and woke up congested a few times at night at the hotel--maybe mold in the AC. Something was really irritating my lungs. Plus I think the bike course setup put me at a disadvantage--lack of road riding experience/handling skills/confidence, plus it made it difficult to maintain a steady power/effort/speed, which is mainly what I've been focusing on in training, since it's for a longer event. The resulting struggle to hold it together for the rest of the bike leg really hurt my run.

Event comments:

This race, as with all the Metasport races, was well-organized, but the last-minute change to the venue was very inconvenient for me and other overseas athletes. I ended up having to spend almost $60 to get a taxi to the venue that would take my bike, since I couldn't get a refund on the original hotel booking, which was within easy riding distance of the original venue. I had contacted the race organizers twice about transport to/from the race, but received no response. Then I discovered that they had offered to reimburse transport for several of the Jakarta athletes at my hotel who were in the same situation. Really felt that was unfair. I (along with some of my AG rivals) have had a number of issues with these organizers over the years, such as how they decide elite wave seeding, always having women start last on the swim (which has since been rectified), etc. and feel like they have sometimes fallen short in the areas of fairness, responsiveness, and consistency. I understand that the venue change (due to road construction near Changi Airport) was beyond their control, but feel like it could have been better handled. It really seemed to be a matter of luck as to who one contacted.

Also, age group prizes were the same as they have been for the past several years. I do not need another crappy water bottle (which would just be swag for most races--there is NO swag for these races), nor do the AG winners need another pair of sunglasses. Same prizes for almost all races for nearly five years?? Can't they find some different, more generous sponsors?

I would recommend the sprint series for beginners, due to the small waves, crowd support, and strong safety set-up, and for people who live in Singapore and have their own transport; maybe not worth the trip anymore for others, including myself.

Last updated: 2016-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:51 | 900 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 8/214
Performance: Good
Not sure about swim distance. All times were very slow. The fastest swim (one of the teenagers) was mid 12's, which is what I usually do. Two athletes told me their Garmins had it at between 920 and 950m. Being conservative and saying 900m. May have been further. There may have also been more variance among swimmers than usual due to the course configuration and current conditions.
Suit: 2XU Compression
Course: M-shaped course. Out to a buoy in a wide "lane", around, back to land in the next lane, short run around a cone on the beach, back out to sea in another "lane", around another buoy, back in in a fourth "lane". Fairly strong onshore current, which meant we were fighting it outbound and being pushed inbound.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:10 | 18 kms | 32.56 km/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 14/214
Performance: Average
Three laps of a roughly 6 km course--not sure how accurate the distance was but should be close. I turned my Garmin on soon after the start and it said 17.9 km. Maybe a little longer than 18 km as I didn't turn it on until 200-300m in (after first scary turn), but not off by much. Lap splits were 11:32, 10:44, 10:55. I had some trouble clipping in and getting up to speed at the beginning.
Wind: Some
Course: Three laps as mentioned above, outbound mostly on park access road and inbound on multi-use path. There were several places on each lap where there were sharp turns, speed bumps, sudden curves, or other "activities", so it was hard to maintain a consistent power/speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:55 | 05 kms | 04m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 8/214
Performance: Below average
Two laps--10:40 and 11:15. Not sure they are equal as the last one includes about 50 additional meters to the finish. Roughly even pace but felt horrid on both!
Course: Two loops. Flat, a little shade but not much.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-04-17 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: MetaSprint Series Singapore Triathlon - Sprint Course

2016-04-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: #5177592

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: MetaSprint Series Singapore Triathlon - Sprint Course

Wow, great OA and AG results despite your various issues with a long swim, bike course changes and the problems with your allergies and asthma!  You hung tough and got 'er done, and done well!  Congrats!

2016-04-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Sounds like some annoying issues with the race org and that sucks. I imagine you don't have a ton of races to choose from. 

Great results regardless! 

2016-04-19 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job, congrats on a race well done! Top 10 is a pretty cool deal. 

I think the rolling dismount would be a benefit. No time lost running in the bike shoes and no time taken in T2 to get the shoes off. Both would be a plus for you.

2016-04-19 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on doing well in both your AG and OA. Especially considering the challenges you had to face.

2016-04-19 9:03 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Awesome results! I don't know how you do it in that heat...

2016-04-20 1:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

Wow, great OA and AG results despite your various issues with a long swim, bike course changes and the problems with your allergies and asthma!  You hung tough and got 'er done, and done well!  Congrats!

My thoughts exactly!! Really impressive pushing through those issues and still competing well!! Excellent work!!
2016-04-22 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Err.....a long swim is NEVER an issue for me! As far as I care, they can extend the swim to IM length and I will be happy. Would feel the same about the run, if it weren't so hot. Just so they don't extend the bike! (One year they did--my first year doing this event, for some reason the bike was 25 km!)
2016-04-24 7:05 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Nicely done!  Congrats on the OA and AG placements.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaSprint Series Singapore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 1446 Posts: 7

2016-03-07 2:47 PM amd723

metasprint series duathlon - sprint course

Started by RedBelli
Views: 857 Posts: 1

2013-03-25 5:56 AM RedBelli

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by robbo_27
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2012-05-10 12:26 AM robbo_27

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 1616 Posts: 2

2012-05-18 8:15 AM bzgl40

Started by antman
Views: 1245 Posts: 1

2012-05-06 2:35 AM antman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.