General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-19 9:13 AM

Subject: Achilles Pain
HI all. After a couple tough training sessions this weekend my Achilles is quite sore/tender. I fear the early signs of Achilles tendonitis. I'm going to take some time off of running and thinking of putting in a bit of a swim/bike block. Anyone out there experience Achilles tendonitis and have any guidance? Is biking okay? Any treatment advice? I've been icing the past couple days and did a bit of foam rolling but figured I should focus on controlling inflammation first then ease into rolling/stretching. Thanks for any guidance out there.

-Patrick

2016-04-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Achilles Pain
Patrick,

I had Achilles issues a few years ago when I ramped up my hill running to quick trying to prepare for the possibility of running the Dipsea race.

Here's an article that really helped me out:
http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendon...

Basically: Don't run hills, don't do speed-work, ice it after runs, and do eccentric heel drops to build supporting strength.
For me, it was a long recovery with a few set backs along the way... so, hang in there!

Regards,
Jay

2016-04-19 11:01 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

Thanks Jay. Funny that I just started ramping up hill repeats and speed work. I'll definitely take your advice and take it easy.
2016-04-19 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by PRHTri

Thanks Jay. Funny that I just started ramping up hill repeats and speed work. I'll definitely take your advice and take it easy.

best is to get it properly diagnosed by a professional. I am more tendinosis than tendinitis.

I have been dealing with achilles problems for a few years. I am currently not running because of them.

For me, ART really helps to get some of the knots and lumps out of the tendon and softens it
Eccentric heel drops are huge. Probably the only scientifically proven treatment
I use heat at night to stimulate blood flow to the region
Never run on it if the pain from the previous day is more than a 5/10.
Aquajoggin is your friend

I get it when I ramp up speed work to quickly and/or my weekly mileage exceeds 40mpw

2016-04-19 1:35 PM

User image

+1 to all previous comments, and yeah, eccentric heal drops can work wonders.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Achilles Pain

Started by burhed
Views: 1087 Posts: 12

2014-05-03 8:47 PM ec1974

Achilles pain

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 1121 Posts: 12

2013-04-08 10:27 PM TriMomKS

Achilles Pain - A Dealbreaker?

Started by Baileyperschon
Views: 1224 Posts: 11

2013-02-12 8:26 PM edawno

Lower calf / Achilles pain

Started by Pector55
Views: 953 Posts: 8

2010-06-10 8:09 AM Pector55

Achilles pain from new clipless

Started by Rogillio
Views: 705 Posts: 4

2006-01-08 10:06 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 9, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.

date : February 22, 2010
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?

date : June 11, 2007
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?
date : December 18, 2006
It sounds like you have insertional Achilles tendonitis. This can be created simply by continuous use and higher mileage or by a minor injury such as missing a step.

date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.