General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are our courts so soft on drivers who kill cyclists? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-04-21 7:23 AM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Why are our courts so soft on drivers who kill cyclists?
Originally posted by Antoine tri

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by marti038 If only more roads had bike lanes, or better yet, if there were more pathways dedicated to cyclists.

Yeah, I think ultimately an infrastructure that is separated from vehicular traffic is the solution. But it's hard to convince tax payers the benefits of funding these kinds of projects. 

A few people will complain about a city spending money on bike lanes.  But if the city doesn't, then they get completely aggravated when bikes are in "the car" lane.  They'll also complain about bikes not paying for road upkeep (um... most of us have a car).  Basically they've already made up their minds.  The best we can do is ride defensively and politely and be as visible as possible.

Just tought I would mention most street we use are municipal streets. You and I are therefore as entitled to the streets as much any other municipal tax payer.

Most of the time it is a matter of behaving in a respectfull, mindfull manner toward others. I Couldn't agree more with your statement.

I think most people on here realize that, and most of us know the specific laws in our state(or should). Such as; I live in PA and a motor vehicle is required by law to leave 4ft of space when passing a cyclist, also it is legal for cyclists to ride 2 abreast, and for a cyclist or motor vehicle to go through a non-functioning traffic once they have come to a full stop. This would be most traffic lights that work on sensors because cyclist does not have the mass to trigger the light. However most NON-cyclists DO NOT know these laws, and seem to think we have no rights to be on the road.

With that said, I also assume when I ride that cars do not see me as the laws of physics always will have us cyclist on the losing end of a confrontation.

2016-04-21 7:54 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

, South Carolina
I have been hit 2X within the past 3 years. First time I got t-boned by an older driver and he cried thinking he had killed me. I often replay the wreck time and time again when I am riding to remind myself on how to be a friendly but defensive bike rider. Such defensive tactics include: making sure I am out of my tri bars at intersections, making sure I am not following to close to cars in front of me especially if there is a car in the opposite lane getting ready to turn left (the car turning left usually does not see me behind the car they are waiting on) and waving/communicating with both friendly and distracted drivers. It has taken me a while to put the middle finger away but I have to because I am representing all of us who ride the roads.

Just remember every time you put on that helmet there is someone out there who is not going to be thinking about you. They are thinking about the fight they just had or their job that's a pain or anything but you on the road. You are not their first second or third priority and we need to realize that. Can we change this sure, are there a hole drivers out there who aim for us intentionally yes there are. But until we can change every driver's mind set we have to be defensive stewards of cycling.

commute when you can!

2016-04-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Here drivers will regularly do jail time for hitting and injuring/killing cyclists, whether there was malice involved or not. If they don't it is normally because they were able to prove that the cyclist was actually the one that disobeyed the traffic laws.

A couple of years ago there seemed to be nearly an all out war between drivers and cyclists and at least once a week there would be a news story of someone being hit and either injured or killed. A couple of drivers got sentenced to considerable jail time and the Government started an extensive "share the road" advertising campaign aimed at both motorists and cyclists using the tag line lines "if you don't see him neither will his family" or "share the road" or "a meter matters". They have also just passed a law that requires motorists to leave at least at meter when passing a cyclist. This campaign seems to have had a very positive effect with the number of serious incidents between car and cyclists dramatically decreasing.
2016-04-21 10:35 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

Here drivers will regularly do jail time for hitting and injuring/killing cyclists, whether there was malice involved or not. If they don't it is normally because they were able to prove that the cyclist was actually the one that disobeyed the traffic laws.

A couple of years ago there seemed to be nearly an all out war between drivers and cyclists and at least once a week there would be a news story of someone being hit and either injured or killed. A couple of drivers got sentenced to considerable jail time and the Government started an extensive "share the road" advertising campaign aimed at both motorists and cyclists using the tag line lines "if you don't see him neither will his family" or "share the road" or "a meter matters". They have also just passed a law that requires motorists to leave at least at meter when passing a cyclist. This campaign seems to have had a very positive effect with the number of serious incidents between car and cyclists dramatically decreasing.

It's very similar in Poland. There is a law that says a cyclist has to walk his bike when crossing a road on pedestrian crossing. If they ride the crossing and got hit, they don't really bother calling police, because police will laugh at them and give a ticket. This is not the same as riding among drivers, but at least some boundaries and rules are in place and both - cyclists and drivers are aware of it. I hate when I drive peacefully and suddenly a biker jumps on the street out of nowhere.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are our courts so soft on drivers who kill cyclists? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

LI cyclist killed by driver under the infuence of drugs

Started by strikyr
Views: 671 Posts: 1

2012-11-02 4:13 PM strikyr

DRUNK DRIVER KILLS CYCLIST IN VEGAS

Started by SWIM2LIVE
Views: 1840 Posts: 22

2010-08-06 1:53 PM nevergivin

Drunk driver kills two cyclist, only gets two years in prison Pages: 1 2

Started by jason45