General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toughman Tupper Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-23 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: Toughman Tupper Lake
Anyone racing it this year? I'm headed up to use it as a tune up for my A race and would love any insight on the event and course.

2016-05-16 12:38 PM
in reply to: tri_sport19

Subject: RE: Toughman Tupper Lake
Anyone respond to your question yet? I've raced the Tupper Lake Tinman before and will be there again this summer. They have a webpage and a Facebook page that have some info; which you may have already looked at. Some other basic info below:

A lot of athletes use the Tinman as a prep race for the Lake Placid Ironman. The event has been around for quite a few years. Are you staying the night before? There are a few cabin rental options, but there is a small campground in the area that many people stay at. Some people just sleep in their vehicles at the transition parking area despite the "no camping" signs.

Transition bike racking is assigned by number. Bike number equals your rack space. The swim is a wave start. I think it went Sprint athletes first, then some sort of AG / gender waves in some order other than chronological. The swim is a big rectangle and you will be swimming back toward shore with the sun in your eyes (if it's not cloudy). I'm pretty sure it will be a wetsuit legal swim as it's a slow start to summer up here. VERY short run into transition from the swim exit. The bike course is basically an out and back; with rolling hills and some flats. No big climbs at all. The pavement is "ok" but watch out for chipseal type repairs to the road. I saw a number of flats. But those could be caused by any number of independent issues. The bike aid stations are ok... not IM style smorgasbords, but they have the basics. When I raced last they handed water out in half size water bottles that wouldn't fit in cages. That wasn't a problem for me because I was just refilling a BTA, but if I had to stow that water container it would have bounced out I'm sure. I've never seem much drafting on the race. The rolling hills seem to break that up a bit. The run is around town and on some village side roads. Again, some elevation changes but no big hills to my recollection. I felt the aid stations were too far apart though. Maybe that was because I was beat. But I'll have some type of a small handheld bottle or something this year just for some reassurance. There is a short sand area in the run that you go over twice. The rest is on regular paved roads.

The after party is really good. You get a ticket for the beer tent and they usually have a great food spread going on. If you have other questions, just ask. I'm new to this site, but have been doing triathlon for a number of years.
2016-06-03 6:03 PM
in reply to: stomponafrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Awesome, thanks so much for the info! I'm really looking forward to this race
2016-06-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: tri_sport19

User image

, Vermont
I'll be there as well - just signed up on Wednesday and using it for a tune-up for IMMT. I did the Aquabike there last year as I had a knee issue.
Nice rolling ride on the bike - first "hill" is at 2 miles and another at about 10, just take it a bit easier on those and you'll be fine. They are pretty good about marking bad pavement with (I think) fluorescent orange paint.
Adirondack lakes are typically either very green or very brown - Tupper is very brown and very little visibility; people were running into each other quite a bit. I had dark tinted goggles last year so the sun wasn't too bad but it's looking like it will be hot and sunny on Saturday so don't be surprised by potentially challenging sighting on the way back in on the swim.
I didn't do the run so other than driving it, I can't speak to actual experience on it. I'm hoping that with temps in the high 80's they will have a few more aid stations.

I'm staying at Shaheen's. Where are you guys?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toughman Tupper Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman?

Started by WanabSpeedy
Views: 2510 Posts: 18

2009-06-26 4:44 PM Bigtalon

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 2049 Posts: 2

2008-06-24 3:52 PM runnerx

Tupper Lake Roll Call

Started by runnerx
Views: 1413 Posts: 8

2008-06-27 8:04 AM runnerx

Tupper Lake Tinman HIM - anyone?

Started by mtnchick13
Views: 1275 Posts: 17

2007-06-25 10:51 AM TacomaLuv

Tupper Lake Tinman

Started by jvinciqu
Views: 1275 Posts: 4

2006-06-22 8:02 AM madstop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.