General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort - How would you handle this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-26 9:10 AM

Subject: Discomfort - How would you handle this?
Good morning all,
I am currently 14 weeks into my 20 week HIM training, looking forward to my first 70.3 in Raleigh in just over a month. I've been very lucky with injuries this year, though the swimming volume has really brought out a nasty case of tennis elbow and shoulder discomfort on my left side. Now, the tennis elbow I can deal with, and have for several weeks now, but the shoulder (back of the shoulder) is what scared me yesterday. I started the first set of 6x500's, and finally cut the workout short after 1500m. My thought process now is to try and balance rest with the scheduled swim workouts, and continuing to cut the workouts short if I feel anything more than a minor ache. I believe my fitness is there, I just don't want to cut it back too much before the taper period.

Any advice is appreciated.

2016-04-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Discomfort - How would you handle this?
confident you can swim the distance? If so, I'd suggest cutting swim training until you heal up. You can do kick sets and maybe sculling if it doesn't cause pain, or otherwise supplement with other training. Bands and dry land training could also be good.

You can gain a little fitness in the next couple weeks in the swim if you push through. You can also lose a whole lot if you injure yourself.
2016-04-26 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Without knowing any more about your situation, my initial thought is that you've got some type of stroke technique issue that is causing your problems and that is being exacerbated by your training volume. 

It's not a good sign if more swimming is makes it worse.

I've had some shoulder soreness in the past, but it was caused by a lack of symmetry in my pull.  Once I fixed that the pain went away.

Do you have a swim coach or swimmer friend who can take a look at your technique?

Mark

2016-04-26 11:18 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Thanks for the responses. I swim at about a 1:55/100m clip right now, and have taken 2 official lessons. I have another refresher lesson this Friday just to make sure I haven't fallen into any bad habits. I probably did spend way too much time in the early stages breathing only to one side which would explain why my right side feels fine. It's only been in recent months that I've tried to balance that out. I do feel I pull too much with my shoulders and not enough with my lats.

I feel confident with the distance, yes. If I could maintain my fitness level right now for the next 6 weeks, I would be happy.
2016-04-26 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by linkslefty Thanks for the responses. I swim at about a 1:55/100m clip right now, and have taken 2 official lessons. I have another refresher lesson this Friday just to make sure I haven't fallen into any bad habits. I probably did spend way too much time in the early stages breathing only to one side which would explain why my right side feels fine. It's only been in recent months that I've tried to balance that out. I do feel I pull too much with my shoulders and not enough with my lats. I feel confident with the distance, yes. If I could maintain my fitness level right now for the next 6 weeks, I would be happy.

Make sure you tell your coach about your elbow and shoulder issues at your lesson on Friday.  They might be able to give some quick fixes or suggest some things to work on.

Good luck.

Mark

2016-04-29 5:52 AM

User image

Hi. Would suggest strength training for shoulders/back/core to avoid injury. I made the mistake of not adding that to my program and have suffered the consequences (knee pain) for years.

2016-04-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #5178951

Heck, training for my first 70.3 I wasn't even doing workouts as long and hard as 6x500! I'm not a natural swimmer, my longest sets were in the 2000 to 2400 range. And I did fine. I'd say cut the volume to help heal a bit. IMO if you can do a workout that is 6x500 you're sitting pretty for a HIM swim. Just me. For reference in olys and halfs I swim about 1:45 per 100.
2016-04-29 7:53 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by linkslefty

Thanks for the responses. I swim at about a 1:55/100m clip right now, and have taken 2 official lessons. I have another refresher lesson this Friday just to make sure I haven't fallen into any bad habits. I probably did spend way too much time in the early stages breathing only to one side which would explain why my right side feels fine. It's only been in recent months that I've tried to balance that out. I do feel I pull too much with my shoulders and not enough with my lats.

I feel confident with the distance, yes. If I could maintain my fitness level right now for the next 6 weeks, I would be happy.

You most likely have some technique issues that are causing the pain. Shoulder problems are a common effect of poor technique.
Breathing to one side is NOT a technique problem, many very good swimmers only breath to 1 side. If you were alternate breathing right now you might not see the problem , or you may have the pain in both shoulders.

6 weeks of not swimming will have negative effects on your swim, how ever showing up with a sore shoulder will too. I suggest you talk to your instructor about the problem and see what he says. try to rest the shoulder for a couple days, and when you get back to swimming concentrate on long smooth strokes, work on technique, not on speed.
2016-04-29 8:34 AM

Sarasota, Florida
I'm going through something similar. When I first started my technique was awful and I developed a shoulder pain that became aggravated further while running. I fixed my technique but only have the pain while running now. Not sure what my issue is. It feels like my shoulder starts bouncing around during the run so I'm not convinced swimming has to be that hard on the shoulders unless you have a previous condition or injury.

I'm getting an appointment and trying kinesio tape which I believe can hold up in water? From what I understand the tape is difficult to do on the shoulder and you have to have be certified. Not sure on what to recommend with a break, because I took 6 weeks off from any real running and 3 weeks without any at all and the pain was right there as soon as I started back up. It's frustrating.
2016-04-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5179406

Thanks for the responses. I learned today I'm not engaging early enough in my catch and pull, prob putting pressure as I push back to far behind me. I'm going to rest for the weekend and pick it back up for the last 5 weeks of training.

For those suggesting strength training, I'm assuming you mean in the offseason. Not sure when you would fit that in while training 6 days a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort - How would you handle this? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TT bike handling vs. road bike handling

Started by odpaul7
Views: 4662 Posts: 19

2012-11-19 4:39 PM morey000

Upper back discomfort?

Started by mndymond
Views: 604 Posts: 5

2009-07-27 10:07 AM smalls82

Another question about Saddle Discomfort

Started by rach_1623
Views: 856 Posts: 10

2009-06-30 1:14 PM thegoddess

Neck discomfort while in aero position

Started by chudley
Views: 1057 Posts: 10

2007-06-03 6:37 PM mdg2003

Ladies -- A bike discomfort question

Started by element
Views: 1163 Posts: 18

2006-02-20 9:21 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : May 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
comments : 0
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.