General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit (23 degrees celcius) - would you wear a wetsuit or no? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-29 8:45 AM

Subject: Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit (23 degrees celcius) - would you wear a wetsuit or no?
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and SUPER excited for my very first tri on Sunday. It's just a short swim at 300m so I won't be in the water long. I'm having trouble determining whether the additional comfort and buoyancy of the wetsuit will be worth the additional time peeling the damn thing off during T1. There's a place downtown that rents tri wetsuits, so it wouldn't be a problem to shoot down there and pick one up just for the weekend. Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks in advance for your insight and recommendations!

Edited by Rabidrunner 2016-04-29 8:48 AM

2016-04-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: Rabidrunner

User image

Subject: RE: Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit (23 degrees celcius) - would you wear a wetsuit or no?

I would say no.  If for no other reason, "nothing new on race day"!  Have you ever swam in a wetsuit or can you get a swim in wearing it before the race?  Unless you are shooting for the podium getting it off in T1 would likely be the least of your worries.  IME wearing a wetsuit in a race without trying it first is a mistake.  1. Fit - constricting your shoulders or neck, loose neck letting water in, or just putting it on wrong 2. buoyancy throwing your stroke off if you're not used to the position change.  People do rent them and go race in it.  But for a 300m swim I'd go without.

2016-04-29 8:55 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit (23 degrees celcius) - would you wear a wetsuit or no?
At 74 you certainly do not need one for comfort.

For speed that depends on how good of a swimmer you are how well the suit fits, and how fast you can get it off.

I personally do not wear a wetsuit for 300m swim, as I gain about 3 seconds per 100 form it and takes about 15seconds to get it off. Most people will tell you to always wear one. Also if it does not fit properly, or your not used to it; it can actually slow you down.
2016-04-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

Excellent advice, thank you both. I'm certainly not aiming for the podium, I'm aiming to finish first of all. Really, I just want to set a baseline for future events this season so I can improve on my times.

Having said that.... I'm quite the competitive spirit so of course I'll be trying to get as close as possible to the podium

Actually, you both confirmed my gut feeling, which is no wetsuit. I have swum in them in the past, but that was a long time ago, more than 15 years.

Thanks again!

Edited by Rabidrunner 2016-04-29 9:03 AM
2016-04-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #5179427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
If you can practice before hand taking one off quickly and swimming in it go for it. As long as it's legal to wear, my advice is always wear it.
2016-04-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: Bevie

I think that's really the key point here - it's unlikely that I'll be able to have the time to do some practice with it, so it sounds like I'll be better off without it at least for this race. The next tri I'm looking at is a longer swim in colder water, so I'll be keen to investigate using a wetsuit for that one.

On that note - do you guys have any wetsuit recommendations for the future?

2016-04-29 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

You certainly don't need one for a 300m swim at 74 degrees.

This isn't about the time it takes to peel it off in T1.  It's about swimming your swim in comfort and without panic. The main risk is overheating.  A full sleeve wetsuit in mid-70s water will be HOT. Probably not so hot you couldn't do 300m, but me, I wouldn't wear a full sleeve. Maybe a sleeveless. And I'm a cold water weenie.

You also risk the very common wetsuit-induced swim panic.  You will be SUPER excited, your heart will be racing, the race will start, you will be 25m into it, and suddenly you'll feel chest constriction and feel you can't inhale. Unless you're used to swimming in a wetsuit, it can really feel hard to catch your breath.

2016-04-29 9:30 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
That's super hot water! I would not wear it
2016-04-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: marysia83

I sure as hell wasn't going to get a full length! I was thinking more along the lines of a sleeveless 3/4 length. However, for all of the reasons put forth by you good people, I will be swimming sans-wetsuit this weekend.

If I get cold, well, all the more reason to get out of the water as quick as possible - right?
2016-04-29 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
The reason this post caught my eye is because I just checked Playtri's website and it said water temp is 74. Your profile says your from Austin, so I'm wondering if you're doing this race on Sunday? You also said 300m swim which is the super sprint distance. Not stalking! Just observant.

This was my first tri ever in 2011. I always come back to it. If you are doing this race, there's definitely not a need to wear a wetsuit. It's in the little lake/pond right outside the Hilton in Las Colinas. Transition is very tightly packed in their outdoor parking lot. Olympic starts first and sprint and super sprint won't start til like 8am or so. So be prepared for that. I always have to bring an extra snack to eat while watching the Oly, because I leave the house around 5am. By 8am, getting into the water usually feels good and refreshing because it's already getting warm outside. But this race is usually the first weekend in June. Not sure why they moved it up a month, so it'll be a little cooler this weekend.

If you can, I would recommend driving the bike course before race day (or better yet, ride it on your bicycle). It's kind of hilly. Run is really flat with a small grade towards the turn around point. Hopefully it won't be super windy on Sunday like it has been here lately.

Good luck on your first race.
2016-04-29 10:38 AM

I think Las Colinas is near Dallas - right? If so, that's a different race; I'm doing the Rookie Tri in Austin. So I only give you 8/10 on your internet stalking abilities. KIDDING.

In any case, the bike course for this one is known to be challenging, so your advice to check it out this afternoon or tomorrow is stellar. Thank you.

Edited by Rabidrunner 2016-04-29 10:39 AM

2016-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Would I wear one in a 300M swim?

I'm 10s/100 faster in my wetsuit. It takes WAY less time to take it off than I'll save.

Heck, I have an outdoor tri in a swimming pool that'll be wetsuit legal (water's never been over 75 deg.) I'll wear core shorts for it. They take about 2-3 seconds to take off in T1, but allow me to swim 20-30s faster for that distance.

The temp has no bearing (at the temperatures we're talking about) on what I'd do. I'm also comfortable in my wetsuit.

Good luck.
2016-04-29 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
22 c is the cutoff for AG races globally. 23 for 300 is toasty.
2016-05-01 7:13 PM

Update here: Water temp was 76 in the end, so very glad I didn't wear a wetsuit, it was warm! Having done that, I now know that I'm probably good down to about 70 without a wetsuit; even 74 would be close to stale bath water temps!

Also, I actually did end up on the podium believe it or not - 3rd in my division woohoo!

Edited by Rabidrunner 2016-05-01 7:14 PM
2016-05-02 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Here's a different twist on your question..........

Ask another one....."If you're allowed to wear a wetsuit, would you wear one"? Period.

The temp. (the one you posted) has no bearing on whether or not I'd wear one. I'd wear one - because I swim faster in a wetsuit. It's no different in asking if (given the choice) I'd ride a mountain bike or a tri bike in a sprint. I'm faster with the wetsuit and the tri bike, so that's why I'd use them.

IMO, seconds are MORE important in a sprint. I finished 4th in my AG a few weeks ago. 1st, 2nd & 3rd were separated by 43 seconds. I was a bit behind them, but the point is......you never know when a couple of seconds can make the difference in your outcome.

Congratulations on your podium finish.
2016-05-02 9:18 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Originally posted by nc452010

Ask another one....."If you're allowed to wear a wetsuit, would you wear one"? Period.

The temp. (the one you posted) has no bearing on whether or not I'd wear one. I'd wear one - because I swim faster in a wetsuit. It's no different in asking if (given the choice) I'd ride a mountain bike or a tri bike in a sprint. I'm faster with the wetsuit and the tri bike, so that's why I'd use them.

IMO, seconds are MORE important in a sprint. I finished 4th in my AG a few weeks ago. 1st, 2nd & 3rd were separated by 43 seconds. I was a bit behind them, but the point is......you never know when a couple of seconds can make the difference in your outcome.

I feel like nothing new on race day trumps most of your points. I wouldn't want someone riding a tri bike for their first time on race day even if their only other choice was a mountain bike. The twitchy handling of areo bars is going to put you at risk of crashing and injuring yourself and possibly others. Wearing a wetsuit for the first time on race day is going to substantially increase your chances of a panic attack during the swim.

2016-05-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by bigevilgrape

I feel like nothing new on race day trumps most of your points. I wouldn't want someone riding a tri bike for their first time on race day even if their only other choice was a mountain bike. The twitchy handling of areo bars is going to put you at risk of crashing and injuring yourself and possibly others. Wearing a wetsuit for the first time on race day is going to substantially increase your chances of a panic attack during the swim.

Also if you are going to wear one in sprint races you better know how much faster you are in the wetsuit. If you are 5seconds/100 faster, the race is 300 and it takes 20 seconds to get it off, than you just slowed yourself down.

Wetsuits are also very warm, so even in a longer race like an Olympic if the water temp is near the limit (78° for USAT) than you may very well be going slower by the end and cook yourself on the swim more than you think.
2016-05-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
If it takes you 20 seconds to get out of your wetsuit, you're doing something terribly wrong.
2016-05-02 12:43 PM

User image

Exton, PA

If it takes you 20 seconds to get out of your wetsuit, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Again you miss the point
2016-05-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I have to ask.........has anyone ever been cooked in a wetsuit in a 300M swim?

For the OP, I'm assuming you're the same person who started an eerily similar thread over on "that other site". You got some good feedback over there.

For most people.....the only question you should ask yourself on whether or not you should wear a wetsuit or not is...........is it legal?

You can "what-if" it to death, but that's the bottom line for most non pickers of nits.
2016-05-02 5:51 PM

For the record, I have no idea what other site you are referencing. The only site I've joined is this one. The feedback HERE was very helpful and I thought I did a decent job expressing my gratitude for that. So why would I post anywhere else.

Thanks all.

Edited by Rabidrunner 2016-05-02 5:52 PM

2016-05-02 6:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by nc452010 . For most people.....the only question you should ask yourself on whether or not you should wear a wetsuit or not is...........is it legal? You can "what-if" it to death, but that's the bottom line for most non pickers of nits.

I know we're talking a 300 M swim here, bit just on this discrete point, I did Silverman 70.3 2014 when it was barely wetsuit legal, and not quite sure where they found that 76 degree reading.  I regret wearing one, as it set up for a very hot day.  In hot races your goal is to keep the core temp down as much as you can for as long as you can.  On a longer swim you won't realize it until half way through, but you can get good and truly cooked.   Everyone I spoke to that wore a wetsuit that day later regretted it.  

So unless AG placement is an issue, you have to consider more than just the distance and water temp in deciding (smartly) whether to wear a wetsuit or not, and whether that will affect the other two legs.  It's not a swim only race, and any benefits gainsd by a wetsuit may easily be lost later.  .

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-02 6:21 PM
2016-05-02 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Fair point. But, full wetsuit v. no wetsuit is a false dichotomy. I have a T1 wetsuit and I can make 3 different variations (sleeveless, full suit and just speed tube). In 300yds (I've checked), I'm also 20+ seconds faster, with just Blue Seventy Core shorts. It might take me a couple-three seconds to take those off.

My only point in all this is..............if they allow you to use free speed, why wouldn't you take advantage of it? If you don't care to spend the money on a wetsuit (or the various combinations), that doesn't mean it wouldn't save you time (same as an aero helmet, aero wheels, etc...).

If you're a faster swimmer - sans a wetsuit........rock on! I'm (and most other triathletes are) envious.

Edited by nc452010 2016-05-02 7:56 PM
2016-05-02 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is the main reason for my sleeveless shorty. Gives some speed advantage and keeps me warm in marginal temps (I'm very cold-blooded and my back tends to cramp if I get cold, which slows my swim), but super-fast to take off. I would wear it regardless of distance unless the water was too warm to be wetsuit legal. I'm perfectly capable of going the distance without it (in fact none of my SE Asia races are wetsuit swims), but if it's allowed, why not? Definitely would not wear a full suit at those temps--not just a matter of time to take it off, but even I would get too hot in it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water temp is 74 degrees farenheit (23 degrees celcius) - would you wear a wetsuit or no? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

74 degree water temp without wet suit? Pages: 1 2

Started by shepherdsflock
Views: 7905 Posts: 32

2012-08-09 8:51 PM siouxcityhawk

74 degrees - Wetsuit or No Wetsuit

Started by Isondd
Views: 1911 Posts: 7

2011-07-06 4:43 PM Isondd

So the water temp is 78.1 degrees..... Pages: 1 2

Started by Rad-Onc PA
Views: 2181 Posts: 46

2009-01-22 9:39 AM Slave Diver

74 or 78 degrees?

Started by ForrestGump
Views: 1132 Posts: 5

2008-04-29 9:20 AM briderdt

70 degree water OWS: wetsuit or no wetsuit?

Started by mwillder
Views: 1093 Posts: 4

2006-08-20 2:05 AM Z-dog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?