General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathlete - Training Critique Please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-29 11:51 AM

Subject: New Triathlete - Training Critique Please
I just registered for my first triathlon, an olympic distance at 7000' on August 14, 2016. I have started training and working on it for the last few weeks. I am basically coming from nothing, work a sedentary job and not really very active. Over the past couple weeks I've been running 3-5 miles 3-4 nights a week using MAF HR, swimming 2 mornings a week (about 1000 yards each, last workout was 4x50, 3x200, 4x50, 1x100 cool down.) and riding the bike 2 times a week at MAF HR. I have about 15 weeks to go until the race.

I'm not overweight at all. I'm 30 years old, 5'11'' and weigh in at a whopping 155 pounds. I've never been too terribly fit, but I've always felt I could perform activities without much trouble. For example, just a month and a half ago I hiked the grand canyon rim to river to rim in a single day. With that being said, I have basically no base. My MAF times are coming in at about 13:00 per mile at this point, with 20 mile bike rides at MAF coming in at an average of 14.7 mph.

My plan is to continue doing MAF HR training for running and biking for the next 9 weeks, then incorporate more anaerobic/interval/speed training in the 6 weeks leading up to the race. My thought process is to build a decent aerobic base, then add some speed. Does this sound like a good plan? Any suggestions?

2016-04-29 12:36 PM
in reply to: kazpilot25

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: RE: New Triathlete - Training Critique Please
Training is sort of dependent on your strengths/weaknesses/goals/etc. I'd read this...http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1934030198

I did my first sprint last fall and found that book very helpful in helping put together a training plan AND teaching me why I was doing each training session the way I was. In other words, it helped me develop a purposeful training plan for me.

Your local library may have it if you don't want to buy it.

Then I'd try to find a sprint tri to run between now and August. You certainly don't have to, but it would be nice to have a short one under your belt for practice. Just my $0.02.
2016-04-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: kazpilot25

User image

, North Carolina
I think that is a very solid plan. By building your aerobic base you'll be much better off in the long run. The gains that take the longest to achieve are going to be more permanent. I've been doing the MAF running plan it is has worked great for me. I started out at 13:15min/mile and have worked down to 10:30 at my MAF HR. I ran two 8 min miles in a triathlon last week. It looks like you have a much stronger background in running since you are already up to do that 3-4 times a week.

You'll sacrifice some running fitness by only doing 3 runs a week but you can balance that out with 3 bikes per week. You'll really need to carry some bike fitness in to that race because I'm sure that at 7000ft you'll be going up and down some hills. Are you local to this race or will you be traveling from the flat land up to the mountains?

The most important thing that you can do is just be consistent. I've found that running easy more often is much better than running hard and being hurt/sore for days. Find a routine for you that works and stick to it.

How's your swimming?
2016-04-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Originally posted by Nick B

I think that is a very solid plan. By building your aerobic base you'll be much better off in the long run. The gains that take the longest to achieve are going to be more permanent. I've been doing the MAF running plan it is has worked great for me. I started out at 13:15min/mile and have worked down to 10:30 at my MAF HR. I ran two 8 min miles in a triathlon last week. It looks like you have a much stronger background in running since you are already up to do that 3-4 times a week.

You'll sacrifice some running fitness by only doing 3 runs a week but you can balance that out with 3 bikes per week. You'll really need to carry some bike fitness in to that race because I'm sure that at 7000ft you'll be going up and down some hills. Are you local to this race or will you be traveling from the flat land up to the mountains?

The most important thing that you can do is just be consistent. I've found that running easy more often is much better than running hard and being hurt/sore for days. Find a routine for you that works and stick to it.

How's your swimming?

I'm actually driving up for the race. I'm at about 2000' elevation, and the race is about a 2 hour drive. I will be running the course at least once before the race as a training session, both bike and run.

My swimming is ok, but definitely my weak spot. I hired a coach and have worked with him a couple times. I'm slowly working up my distance and endurance. Even though that's the case, I'm still most worried about the swim.
2016-04-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It sounds like you are on the right track with bike and run and, if you have a coach, a way to keep working on the swim. It's really important to be comfortable with going the distance, especially swimming in a wetsuit (I assume you will need one? Most water at altitude isn't that warm!), and having a comfortable breathing pattern that you can adjust as needed. One concern I would have if you're a weak/inexperienced swimmer would be the potential for breathing issues and resulting panic due to a combo of cold water/adrenaline/not used to wetsuit constriction feeling, compounded by the altitude. That can make a merely challenging swim into a scary and potentially dangerous situation. I would suggest working A LOT on breathing, developing a "rescue stroke" like breaststroke or backstroke that you can use if you feel short of breath, and getting used to wearing a wetsuit in colder water.

I'm a strong swimmer with quite a bit of open water experience, but mainly in warmer ocean settings in SE Asia and Hawaii. I struggled a bit with my first OWS training and races on the US mainland, where I had to swim in colder lakes in a full wetsuit, and still have a hard time if the water is much under 65. I also found that when I swam at altitude (did a couple times on a road trip to California a few years ago) I had to adjust my usual breathing pattern and occasionally resort to breaststroke when I got too short of breath. I do have asthma and that may account for some of these issues (cold air can be a trigger, so maybe cold water is, too), but guessing that most people would have them to some extent.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-30 8:20 AM
2016-04-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: #5179473

User image

, North Carolina
I've never been much of a swimmer but when I went from 2 days a week to three it made a huge difference. I'd venture to say that 3x 30min might be better that 2x 60 min right now. Reason I say that is fatigue will really change your stroke. Being fresh three times a week will probably improve your stroke a bit better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathlete - Training Critique Please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Please critique my new TRI CLUB logo.

Started by TriAya
Views: 1585 Posts: 22

2010-07-06 7:20 PM KenD

Please Critique my Aero position - I need advice

Started by hubcitytriguy
Views: 1512 Posts: 16

2008-06-28 6:47 PM 1stTimeTri

Critique me please Pages: 1 2

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 2376 Posts: 40

2007-10-19 6:20 PM Steve-

I Wanna Run Faster: Please Critique

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1123 Posts: 8

2006-05-26 3:33 PM Git-tRi-Done

Diet Critique Please

Started by Blaise655
Views: 737 Posts: 1

2005-10-20 8:18 PM Blaise655
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 21, 2012
author : sallyddrake
comments : 0
Off-Season thoughts for new triathletes including indoor training, Computrainers, heart-rate training and strength training.

date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.
date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.