General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Radial head fracture and time back to swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-10 8:17 PM

New user

Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: Radial head fracture and time back to swimming?
I'm 5 weeks into an 18 week HIM training plan. This was going to be my first HIM, after completing a couple sprints over the past few year.

While out on a training ride on Friday I had what seemed like a minor crash, but on Monday found out that I've fractured my radial head. I don't have an orthopedic consult until Friday but was interested in hearing other people's experiences. Based on the x-ray, it doesn't look like the bone is displaced enough to require surgery (*fingers crossed*), but I expect around a 6 week recovery period (leaving 7ish weeks until the HIM).

I have the bike on the trainer so imagine I can still use it without bearing weight on my arm.. running I'm not sure, I probably won't try until after my consult (so a week off) but am hoping it will be possible if there isn't a lot of pain. Swimming is what I'm concerned about most, does anyone have any experience with returning to swimming after this kind of fracture?

I'm also interested in any insight anyone might have on trying to still race following an injury in the middle of a training cycle... I have no goals for this race other than to finish. Swimming is my weakest discipline, but I would be happy with any time under the cut off. Ditto with running, I would be okay if I had to alter my plans and do a run/walk method if needed. My other alternative is to maybe look at another HIM. I was planning on Steelhead, but if I did Austin/Tempe/Miami instead that would give me an extra 5-6 weeks to try to maintain my base while my arm heals.

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated!

2016-05-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: nirvie

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Radial head fracture and time back to swimming?
I had a minor one a few years ago--not displaced and actually the soft tissue and nerve injury was worse than the bone one--the latter was more of a minor stress-fracture type crack. The PT said to just let pain be the guide--I could do anything which didn't hurt. I would definitely check that out with your doctor and PT. In my case I was able to do some kind of swimming after 3 weeks--mostly breast stroke and dolphin kick with fins. Then I went through a few weeks when I could do all of the freestyle stroke but the recovery and catch, so I just kind of did dog paddle (with fins). Then I spent 2 or 3 weeks swimming with fins. The plus side of the injury was that it made breathing to my dominant side painful, so I finally mastered breathing to the other side. After about 6-7 weeks, I slowly weaned myself off the fins, built up distance, and then gradually added in faster swimming and other strokes over the course of several weeks. I think I was pretty much back to normal training within about three months after the injury.
2016-05-11 7:23 AM

User image

I fractured my radial head a few years ago, but it was before I had started triathlons so I can't offer any advice on swimming. I wore a sling for about the first week or so, letting pain be my guide. The ortho docs didn't really give me any weight bearing restrictions, so it was based on how comfortable I felt. I started spinning (don't have a trainer) maybe 2 or 3 weeks out, because like you said, you could get by without any weight bearing. Same with running, started up when I could tolerate the pain.

Even though my injury was pretty minor, my elbow will still get stiff on long bike rides. I have to shake it out/straighten it every once in a while, will still get a nice "pop."

Sorry to hear about your injury. Mine was really stupid, was new to clips, had to stop in traffic on my way into work, and just toppled over. Learned the hard way to not stretch out your arm to brace the fall and avoid the FOOSH fracture (fall on outstretched hand). Good luck!
2016-05-11 8:06 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I had a wreck about 7 weeks ago and broke my face up pretty well. Unfortunately, mine required facial surgery which put me on the bench for running and swimming until this past Monday.

My advice is to do whatever your doctor says, but ask him specifically about what you can and can't do. He initially told me "no exercise for about 4-6 weeks", but after asking more questions what I found is that he meant "no high impact exercise for 4-6 weeks". I couldn't swim or run and he didn't want me on a bike, but he did let me ride a stationary bike almost immediately and after a week or two he let me do some light strength training and use an elliptical (if I wanted, but I hate those things). The pool was a no go due to risk of infection after the surgery.

Just do whatever you can as you're doctor allows you to do it.

Good luck with your recovery.
2016-05-11 12:33 PM
in reply to: #5181198

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
You can do just about anything with a radial head fracture that doesn't cause pain. Just ask at the doctors
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Radial head fracture and time back to swimming? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

back-to-back-to-back bricks

Started by strawdog18
Views: 1213 Posts: 7

2012-05-10 9:00 PM Neek-neek

Back to Back to Back Weekend Races?

Started by Bunsbert Montcroff
Views: 1136 Posts: 9

2012-01-23 1:41 PM jjupiter100

Back to Back to Back races

Started by btlovin
Views: 2033 Posts: 14

2011-01-17 8:50 PM stevestenzel

HIM swim time vs IM swim time

Started by tripletmom01
Views: 1834 Posts: 19

2008-07-31 7:08 PM gerald12

First time back in the pool in a loooong time

Started by mtntrainer
Views: 704 Posts: 2

2004-11-19 9:09 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Can you give me any information as to why those muscles are still feeling sore and if this will affect my training long term? I'm planning on doing a full Ironman in 2016.

date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.
date : January 1, 2007
comments : 1
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...