General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-05-19 4:31 PM
in reply to: nc452010

Subject: RE: cycling strategy
Originally posted by nc452010

Heck, I'm not really fast on any run. I've only run 5 sprints.....PR'ing the run in each.....trying my butt off to go as hard as I could go on the bike.

Isn't a sprint supposed to be run as an hour LT event?
[

Sorry for the late response here. I can say with no hesitation whatsoever that in 2 sprint events I have done in the past, I absolutely felt tortured on the run. Of course I mis-managed these events. Too hard on the bike for sure. It also happened to me once in a Duathlon. It is a gross feeling. I have heard and read about hitting the wall, but to actually do it was shocking. So, just a caution here, but I was totally unaware of how much I was taking out of myself in the first run or swim and the bike. The run at the end was like stepping into a trap. I'm trying to really practice pacing now, and also more specific workouts, like bricks. That is why I reached out about hills.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread too. I really appreciate all the advice!!/QUOTE]

2016-05-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: MikaelEriksson

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: cycling strategy

Interesting article by David Swain.  With physics. 

Upshot, go a little harder up than down.

To the previous post, I also recall an article looking at a modest surge over the crest also helping (not just the modest, steady increase up the hill, but a bump over the top to get back to speed).  Just have to avoid a huge spike, but something about minimizing the time to get back to speed on the downhill efficiently saving a few seconds more (but I can't remember the math of why).

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling strategy Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Spin cycle vs life fitness stationary cycle

Started by Andr3w
Views: 2634 Posts: 4

2011-12-15 6:26 AM jsnowash

Cycling Strategy...?

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 943 Posts: 5

2010-10-11 2:55 PM Dave Luscan

Indoor cycling vs real cycling Pages: 1 2

Started by Triceratops
Views: 5448 Posts: 46

2010-08-16 9:05 PM BbMoozer

Cycling in Aero and Cycle Races

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1015 Posts: 5

2009-07-13 4:28 PM 2xtreme

Food & Hydration Strategy Help Needed! - Olympic

Started by Eightman
Views: 1080 Posts: 6

2004-04-05 7:57 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : January 18, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.