General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals & Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-14 8:55 AM

Subject: Pedals & Shoes
looking to purchase some beginner pedals and shoes and needed some recommendations. Dont mind purchasing used or on
Ebay if i can save some money as this is my first pair ever and dont want to break the bank.

Hopefully looking to get some pedals for under $50 and not sure on the shoes. Going to put them on my Cannondale quick hybrid as that is the bike i have.

Thanks in advance.

2016-05-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Subject: RE: Pedals & Shoes
I would endorse the Shimano Click'r system for someone who's just stepping up to clipless pedals, especially on a lower intensity bike like a hybrid. They're designed to be easier to get in and out of than a traditional (i.e. SPD) pedal.

The PD-T400 pedals are what I have on my entry level road bike. They're available for ~$30-40 on Amazon. I'm thinking of getting a set of the PD-T420's for my "hybridized" mountain bike; they have a cleat lock on one side and a flat surface on the other for use with regular shoes. Those are a little over $50.

I got a set of Click'r shoes, too, which aren't exactly cheap. However, I'm pretty sure the cleats that come with the pedals will work on virtually any cycle shoe that has the usual two-bolt mounting system.
2016-05-16 5:32 PM
in reply to: #5181728

My first pedals were the shimano r540 spd SL. Nashbar.com usually has em, they have sales i think you could score them for 30 bucks. 8000 miles later I love them and would recommend highly. Need shoes with ability to fit 3 bolt pattern. Only drawback if you're wary is theyre only 1 sided entry, but after a few rides or few weeks you pick up the motion and can do it without looking.
2016-05-16 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5182165

Thanks for the ideas and replies. I just started back riding 4 weeks ago (3 days a week) and for 1 hour I am riding at 185 ftp. Went up from 175 in 4 weeks. This is using my indoor trainer with trainerroad and starting to feel better. This is without pedals and shoes of course.

As much as i would like a tri or road bike but that is not in the cards for a couple of years. Personally that is fine because I can improve on the hybrid and should be able to out ride some people with better fitness even if they are on a better bike.
2016-05-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: #5182179

Without clipped and cycling shoes i meant
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals & Shoes Rss Feed