General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 48s
Overall Rank = 45/375
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/33
Pre-race routine:

First race with GF. Normally I get there early and do my thing but seeing how it's my gf... we arrived into transition with 5 minutes until it closed. I waited in restroom line for 20 minutes after that. Then I grabbed a new cap since I forgot mine, headed to beach and had to start within 2 minutes. Close call I guess.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 31m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seeing how I freaked the hell out on my past races last year, I decided to start this super super slow. I waited 15 seconds for everyone to go and I still went to the outside. I had extremely slow arm movement. I just wanted to ease into it and not freak out. Considering that my all out 100 yds are 1:15-1:25, I obliviously need to get the hell over my OWS fears. This time could have easily been 3-5 minutes lower.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Horrible transition. First race of the year so I sort of forgot how to get out of a wet suit fast. I also didn't put on tri glide and I couldn't get the wetsuit off my ankles. I had to sit on the floor and take it off. Cost me some time. I threw the wetsuit over my stuff and then proceeded to place it somewhere nicely so I could get at my stuff. Not exactly the most graceful transition.

Practice! This is my first race of the year and I full expected to have things to work on so I'll work on that for next time.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 23s
  • 40 kms
  • 36.15 km/hr
Comments:

With no sweet spot training at all this year, I decided to say screw it and try to stay in sweet spot the entire race...because...it seemed like a good idea at the time. I averaged 240 watts and 250 NP. Pretty happy with those numbers considering I've been slacking this month on the bike. I think it may be time for a new FTP test though. My legs were burning though.

Me and another woman were playing leap frog the entire time. It helps break it up since she's get 100yds ahead of me and then I'd keep my power pretty staple and we'd switch positions. I ended up over taking her at the end though.

Nothing much. I could have drank more but it was 50 degrees out and I wasn't too thirsty on the bike but I was on the run, so I still should have drank.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Bad transition. I put too much stuff over my running gear and what to unbury it. I also put my hat and race belt while in transition instead of running with them and putting them on the go.

Grab hat and belt and put them on while running.
Run
  • 42m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Still working off shin splint injury. I didn't run for 2.5 weeks and then 2 weeks ago I started with a 5 mile run every other day to get back into the game. Something is still wrong with it since I have a hard time walking sometimes. Either way though, my quads were fried from the bike but I somehow managed to pull off a really good run for me. My leg foot was frozen for 3 miles and I couldn't feel anything for a long time. The air temp was 55, which was PERFECT for a run but a little chilly for a swim+bike combo and thus some parts of my body were numb.

Again me and the other woman were playing leap frog on the run. I overtook her at mile 1, she tried to overtake me at mile 4 and I speed up and held her off. At mile 5.8 though, she passed me and I thought I was done. I gave this run everything I had for my fitness. I told her "Good job! Finish strong!" but then I decided to shadow her as long as a could. Well at the turn around with .1 to go, I saw her giving 100% and I knew my 100% would beat her and I did. She was the #1 woman but started 10 minutes after me. She still beat me but it was fun to "race" her and push ourselves.

Nothing. Considering my lack of run training this year, my quick ramp up which caused my injury, and my injury still not 100%, I can't complain about this at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and waited for GF and her mom to finish. I cheered on people for 30 minutes. I ate a banana and a granola bar. They had better food for sale but I didn't have my wallet. Solid food sounded really good after that race...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury. My stupid OWS fears.

Event comments:

Good race. I think I'll do it again. It was flippen cold at first with an air temp of 41 when we got there. It's been unseasonably cold this week. I got 2 t-shirts and a really nice medal. This is only 3 hours away from me, so think I'll make this a year race.

I will say this run was about .1m short and the bike about .3m short. All my friends' GPS seem to be show the exact same thing as mine for distance. Normally it's a little higher due to non perfect tangents so the actual course may be a little shorter than that.

Last updated: 2016-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/375
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: Firs tri I've done where we had to run across the beach after the first lap. I sort of liked this and sort of didn't. Having short turns made it seem like it wasn't as long but also running in a wet suit twice is a little tiring.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:23 | 40 kms | 36.15 km/hr
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 161 (Z4).
Wind: None
Course: 3 u-turns and 2 laps for the course. I thought I'd hate it but actually it was nice to break it out. There was a u-turn at the bottom of a hill which really sucked.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:07 | 10 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 166 Laps: 6:48, 6:39, 7:04, 7:15, 6:37, 6:50, :42
Course: A 2 loop run with half of it on a sand gravel mix. Running on the mix felt really nice on the feet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-15 9:28 PM

User image

Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by dprocket
Views: 1000 Posts: 3

2015-05-21 9:04 PM aviatrix802

Started by mikec123
Views: 1027 Posts: 3

2015-05-19 10:00 AM Barkeep

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1629 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:42 AM reecealan

Started by dprocket
Views: 1511 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:01 PM dprocket

Started by reecealan
Views: 1452 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:31 PM dprocket
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.