Piranha Sports
44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 48s
Overall Rank = 65/92
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night before in a hotel, so had to eat out. But we did bring some bagels and the VitaMix, so I was able to make my Pom, Peach and Banana smoothie (picked up some frozen peaches at Wegman's the night before). Went to bed early, got up around 4am. Race site was only 30 or so minutes away, so was easy to get to.
Event warmup:

After setting everything up, put on the wetsuit and went down to the lake to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 20m 44s
  • 500 meters
  • 04m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tough swim due to the climate and water temps, although lake felt almost warm given how cold it was outside; wind chill was probably in the high 30s. I was able to adapt fairly well since I got in, stuck my face in the water, and swam 20-30 strokes to get used to it.

We were all just standing around gretzing about the water when the director came to the dock and said 30 seconds to go, and none of us were anywhere near the start line. I was still probably a pool length away when the horn blew. I swam in 10-12 stroke sets, focusing on more strokes to the side closest to the buoy line so as not to get too off track, then would sight and take 4-5 deep calming breaths. Stayed on line pretty good, I think, but those deep breath intervals added up to a slow swim. Somewhere on the course, when I rolled my face back into the water after a breath, a school of almost microscopic-sized minnows flashed into and out of my vision...pretty cool.

As an FYI, the swim time also includes what I'm guessing was a quarter-mile jog, about half of it steeply uphill, to the transition area, along a path that was strewn with rocks, roots, and laced with mud. My out of water time was about 17 minutes, still too slow. Additionally, majority of us took time to put on shoes (Keen sandals in my case) before undertaking that jog, adding additional time.
What would you do differently?:

No surprise I had a slow swim, a little further back than I normally am, but tough to put any gauge on that given that a chunk of the swim leg was an uphill jog out of the water. I will say I remained calm and collected, and did not feel psychologically tired, so I think the additional pool time made the "in water" time seem not so bad as it might have previously. All-in-all, I don't know there's a lot I'd do differently.

Due to cold water temps, I wore a wetsuit cap, which did wonders. Also wore silicone earplugs to prevent potential dizziness coming out of the cold water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Shocked at this time given I put on a jacket for the ride after stepping on the wetsuit's legs to facilitate removal. I actually had the 25th fastest time.

Nothing...I had zero expectations for this transition given air temps, wind, and everything else.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 43s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I'll repeat here what I told my wife as I stumbled out of T2 and into the run: "Hardest bike ride ever." When I first decided to do this race, I almost viewed it as an afterthought, kind of a "throwaway" race because it only had a two-mile run. After this bike ride, and the way my legs felt, I'm not sure I could've done three miles.

It seemed to be one hill after another, after another. Sure, there were a number of downhills, including one where I saw 33mph on my Joule!!! But the hills were long and tiring, with some very steep sections. I saw a number of people walking some of the hills and, frankly, thought that'd be my fate. I managed to stay in the saddle, but my goodness, I've not ridden hills like this...ever. Maybe something approaching this once or twice during the course of a ride, but never so many. Thought the Joule or GPS would track amount climbed because it showed up during the ride, but couldn't find it afterwards. My recollection is it was somewhere around 1100-1200 last time I looked. I ran the course through Map My Ride later and there were numerous sections with grades exceeding 7%-8%. So yes, it was a hilly ride.

My pace is absolutely embarrassing, and yet, I'm roughly middle of the pack.

Primary thing for this course would be hill training, which I simply cannot do here on the Eastern Shore.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Had some seriously sore hamstrings and groin after the ride, enough that it was tough to even jog with the bike, and tough to get going out of T2. Struggled to get one of my shoes on too. So I'm surprised I was out in less than two minutes.

Nothing here, even though it wasn't a really good T2...I was actually afraid I'd hurt myself when I came in.
Run
  • 19m 11s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Steep downhill to start combined with the way my legs felt after the bike, had me kind of mincing my way down so I didn't fall. The outbound and inbound legs were a sufferfest. I don't even want to know what I looked like, but I'm sure it wasn't like a runner. Or an athlete of any kind. Probably appeared to be drunk. Had to stop a couple of times so I could try to stretch out my hammies and groin. Absolutely miserable. And that was before I saw the uphill turn, followed by an even steeper incline through the Finish chute. My goodness! Miserable.

I'm almost thinking the only reasonable answer here would be to turn in my chip, pack my stuff and go home with a DNF. I still struggle to believe my time, so I'm thinking it wasn't quite two miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, bent over, tried pretty much anything to reduce the ache and pain in my groin. OUCH!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training, on both bike and run. Certainly had the conditioning to finish, but the hilly nature of the course was pretty humbling.

Event comments:

Good race, another solid Piranha effort, and, to me, an extremely tough course. Not sure why this race isn't more popular; maybe it has something to do with the difficulty level. Or maybe people think, like I did, it's a throwaway; you read the parameters of the race and you think, man, that's nothing, but this was easily one of the hardest triathlons I've completed. I saw a lot of high-end triathletes there, so the good ones are doing it. I'm sure conditions today impacted turnout. 148 were registered for the tri, only 92 raced, although I believe a number transferred to the duathlon.

Last updated: 2016-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:44 | 500 meters | 04m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 85/92
Performance: Average
Suit: Zone 3 Aspire
Course: Parallelogram covering all points of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:43 | 15 miles | 13.91 mile/hr
Overall: 56/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Scenic but very hilly course through rural Carroll County, basically a long, narrow loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:11 | 02 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 79/92
Performance: Bad
Course: Steep downhill start into a generally downhill route to the turnaround, exact reverse for the trip to Finish. A cruelly steep uphill finish that reduced me to a bumbling stumble.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-16 5:43 PM

Subject: Cascade Lake Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cascade Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cascade Lake Triathlon

Started by SCamp07
Views: 2229 Posts: 8

2009-06-16 3:56 PM Bobby Lamonte

Cascade Lake Triathlon

Started by mrheathen
Views: 1704 Posts: 5

2009-06-03 4:54 PM rickshawmandikngo

Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by triatty
Views: 1630 Posts: 1

2008-08-17 5:46 PM triatty

Started by Concretechris
Views: 2083 Posts: 5

2008-06-03 12:50 PM dck4shrt

Started by shaggy28
Views: 1570 Posts: 4

2008-06-01 1:12 PM shaggy28
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.