General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 2 months, 12 days, 21 hours until my first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-18 9:49 AM

Katy, Texas
Subject: 2 months, 12 days, 21 hours until my first triathlon
Just joined BT and wanted to introduce myself. Anxiously awaiting race day...

2016-05-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: zx0647

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: 2 months, 12 days, 21 hours until my first triathlon
Is there anyone else in Katy on here?
2016-05-19 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome to BT! You will find a wealth of information here, and some snarkiness

We do have people in Katy. I pointed one of them toward this thread.

2016-05-19 3:21 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Howdy!  Welcome to BT.

I'm not in Katy, but am close (at least by Texas standards) in Austin.

What race are you doing?

Matt

2016-05-20 7:11 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Katy, Texas
By Texas standards...ha!

I'm doing the Cypress Tri on July 31st. My son is doing the youth one the day before.

Some background on my motivation:
I am overweight and looked at this as a way to shed some pounds. I thought if I just register and pay then I would feel like I couldn't back out (I'm cheap sometimes). I also know that it isn't something you just show up and do so there would be a lot of training that I would HAVE to do to be prepared for it. So this is all a way to trick myself into thinking that I HAD to workout. It's working so far.

I can finish each "leg" of this distance by itself but I still don't know how in the heck I'm going to bolt it all together. I still have time to get better but I'm pretty worn out after the 13 mile bike or the 5k...not to mention the swimming. I haven't actually swam the distance yet (or any distance really). I have a pool in the backyard so I built a tether system so I could swim in place so that's what I've been doing for swimming portion. I actually tried to go yesterday to swim in a lap pool but when I got there they had closed it due to the storm we were having. They closed an INDOOR pool due to lightning.

As I get closer I'll probably go to a lake south of here that allows open water swimming training. That way I'll at least have some experience swimming in a lake.

What about you?
2016-05-20 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by zx0647 By Texas standards...ha! I'm doing the Cypress Tri on July 31st. My son is doing the youth one the day before. Some background on my motivation: I am overweight and looked at this as a way to shed some pounds. I thought if I just register and pay then I would feel like I couldn't back out (I'm cheap sometimes). I also know that it isn't something you just show up and do so there would be a lot of training that I would HAVE to do to be prepared for it. So this is all a way to trick myself into thinking that I HAD to workout. It's working so far. I can finish each "leg" of this distance by itself but I still don't know how in the heck I'm going to bolt it all together. I still have time to get better but I'm pretty worn out after the 13 mile bike or the 5k...not to mention the swimming. I haven't actually swam the distance yet (or any distance really). I have a pool in the backyard so I built a tether system so I could swim in place so that's what I've been doing for swimming portion. I actually tried to go yesterday to swim in a lap pool but when I got there they had closed it due to the storm we were having. They closed an INDOOR pool due to lightning. As I get closer I'll probably go to a lake south of here that allows open water swimming training. That way I'll at least have some experience swimming in a lake. What about you?

Ha! Yeah not sure why indoor pools close for lightening but most of them do.

Your motivation and training are similar to many getting started. It seems you've really thought all of this out. I hadn't put the three together before my first sprint and it went fine, and I had a blast.

Good idea to get some open water swim practice. Even if you are used to swimming in open water it's good to practice with others around and to practice sighting.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 2 months, 12 days, 21 hours until my first triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12 months in

Started by Sirtom123
Views: 470 Posts: 3

2013-04-05 5:41 PM Qua17

Newbie-first race in 12 days!

Started by therese012290
Views: 747 Posts: 4

2012-09-17 11:40 AM Dental mom

23 days 8 hours till first sprint tri

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 814 Posts: 3

2012-07-13 7:52 PM Miamicatracho

First Tri in 12 weeks

Started by wquincys
Views: 810 Posts: 3

2010-07-03 1:10 AM wquincys

Intro: T MINUS 12 Months To First Tri!!

Started by ephford
Views: 1250 Posts: 2

2003-09-04 1:54 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.