YMCA
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 11m 55s
Overall Rank = 13/192
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 03:40. Ate my normal breakfast of oatmeal, chia seeds, yogurt, and blueberry porridge. Skipped the toast I normally have. The wife and I then drove the 45 miles from home to the finish line.
Event warmup:

Wake up in the middle of the night to the thought, "I don't want to run this marathon today". Offer up a prayer asking for comfort and peace, then sleep until the alarm goes off. Sit around at the start, and actually think about changing my race distance to the half.

I've never felt this way before a race, I couldn't figure out why I had these thoughts. Decided I was running the full and sucked it up. The start was chilly, stripped off the warm clothes and put in my drop bag. Lined up, visited with a nervous kid, he was going for a PR in the half, I figure he was around 12 or so. He was psyched up :) I had already lost contact with my wife when she hit the porta lines one more time before the race start.

It's a marathon, so the warmup is the first 2 miles. I lined up near the front. I knew I wasn't going to blast out of there, but the course is nice and wide for the first 3/4 miles. If anyone wanted to pass me there would be ample room. It surprised me how many people did pass me, granted I caught most of them later. I kept it smooth and under control, just 1-2s faster than my goal pace over the first two miles. The perfect warmup.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

The race: yup, it was hard. There were good moments, a lot of them. I ran with the eventual ladies winner for several miles early, and then again late in the race. My wife has no worries, but I do enjoy talking with ladies while I am racing smile emoticon. I had to stop and use a porta around mile 19. It got really hard about 23 miles in. But it was mostly just running, running as smooth as I could at the pace I had to have to BQ. At the end I felt elated, exhausted, but mostly relieved. 3.5 years of training. Several thousand miles, injuries, failures, and the pure joy of running.

Back to last night. On the way home, after telling Kerry about how I felt before the race the answer struck me. I was afraid. Every race before I "bonked. I started strong, and ran well then fell apart. I ran well for 13, 14, 16, 18 miles, then it's over. The legs turn to burning lead, stride shortens to a death shuffle. Worst of all is the mental anguish, calculating what this new pace will yield until the moment, with miles left that you know you cannot reach your goal this time. Once again it is a failure, once again, it hurts physically and mentally.

What's next? Well, I did just qualify for Boston. It would be a shame not to go. I guess I better start training
What would you do differently?:

There's lots of things I would like to do differently. What I WILL do is simple. I will continue to train. I will run hard on my hard days, and easy on my easy days. Doing so I will get stronger, fitter, faster. I will run more marathons. Some slower, many faster. I will mix in at least one Olympic triathlon a year, maybe even run a full IM distance soon. I will progress until age slows me down. Then I will continue until I can continue no more.
Post race
Warm down:

Finish line, collect the medal, eat food, run into old friends and visit with them bragging about my first BQ! Hang out for 35-40 minutes, eating more food (Chobani yogurt) while waiting to collect my 2nd place AG ribbon. Then head to my sisters to pick up our boy and head for home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Figuring out how to poop before a marathon.... That is 1.5 minutes per race of free time I am giving up. Train myself to handle more hydration and nutrition on the run.

Event comments:

Low key race. More geared to t he 1/2 marathoners than the full. Still adequate support for the full. 2nd year running this as a full. I will keep this one on my calendar.

Last updated: 2016-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-22 10:05 AM

User image

Subject: Famous Idaho Potato Marathon

2016-05-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #5183088

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Famous Idaho Potato Marathon

Wow - a BQ and a podium?  No need to be afraid of this one anymore!  Well run, and congrats!

Matt

2016-05-25 7:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Famous Idaho Potato Marathon
Thanks for the congrats

Agreed, nothing to fear. I'd already ran 5 of the darn things in the last 3 years, with a couple 50k's, several half marathons, Olympic tri's, a HIM and a couple shorter races sprinkled in just for fun. I had never had any feelings like that before any race, even ones I know I wasn't ready for.

That's why I had to include the experience in the report, it is such a huge departure from who I am, and how I normally feel.

While I should have no fear of the marathon, I now have much greater respect for the distance. To race it well and at a fast, consistent pace is both awesome and terrible. Ticking off 23 splits at 7:16 or better, with my slowest full mile split at mile 25 of 7:30 was such an awesome feeling. Especially late in the race when my body was still just cruising along handling the pace I was asking it for. It took a toll on my muscles. I'm still freakin sore, not injured, but mighty sore!

Edited by Mtnwesttri 2016-05-25 7:12 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Famous Idaho Potato Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

YMCA Famous Potato Half Marathon

Started by Mtnwesttri
Views: 663 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 10:46 PM Mtnwesttri

Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon

Started by IDMtnGirl
Views: 699 Posts: 1

2011-01-13 2:48 PM IDMtnGirl

Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk

Started by AlanaF
Views: 2042 Posts: 5

2010-05-19 1:26 PM mynextthirtyyears

Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk

Started by JoshR
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2010-05-15 12:36 PM JoshR

31st Annual Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K

Started by Potatohead
Views: 1083 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 9:52 AM Potatohead
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Many athletes burn far fewer calories than they realize; they are actually couch potatoes the majority of the day. These seemingly active people can be surprisingly sedentary.

date : January 14, 2008
author : BARitzenthaler
comments : 8
How quickly I have fallen from the ranks of the quasi-fit. Last week, after four years of being a couch potato, the stats were not so good.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : September 4, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Athletes have a different biochemistry than unfit people. Athletes are unlikely to experience an insulin surge that leads to overeating and “getting fat” from enjoying a potato with dinner.