General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike at a Century Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-22 9:13 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Tri bike at a Century
Hi guys. I'm training for my first Ironman & now that my bike mileage is at a record high I find I keep doing multiple loops of the same old route. I was looking into some local charity type bike rides (metric, century distances) and thought that might be a nice way to change up my route. My concern is there seems to be this unwritten rule that you have to ride a road bike during these types of events. I would really like to ride my tri bike for the long rides but am really feeling hesitant that I'll get done blow back.

Has anyone here taken their tri bike out to a charity bike event? It seems to be more of an etiquette thing bc I've never read in the rules/faq's that tri/TT bikes are not allowed. Thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks!

2016-05-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri bike at a Century
I have done quit a few here in Texas and had no problem. I have also seen numerous other people on them during the rides as well. All the ones I've done they have just made an announcement advising us not to get into areo position at the start or while riding in a group for braking / safety purposes. I also have not had anyone make any comment to me other than liking the bike.
2016-05-22 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've done it before.

Generally the bigger ones have told me no, where the smaller ones tend to tell me to just not ride in any packs etc. and it'd be fine, and also told me to stay out of the aero bars often too.

Eventually I just got a road bike too instead, made life easier :p
2016-05-23 12:30 AM

User image

Ventura, California
Can you remove the aero bars? (Clip on, Bolt on)

They (group rides) do this for safety reasons. Have you ever ridden in a pheloton? (close group formation) Ever see anyone with aero bars in the Tour de France?

So the reason for your group ride events not allowing/discouraging aero bars is due to the fact you have limited control in a tight quarters group ride situation.

Personally, I do a good portion of my training in curvy canyons and the mountains with steep and technical descents where I will easily hit speeds of 40+mph if not 50mph. Maximum control of the brakes and steering is critical, now add in a couple other group riders in close proximity and aero bars quickly would just become dangerous.
2016-05-23 4:34 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

As long as you don't ride those to win, there should not be anyone complaining in terms of and aero gain you have.
But the main concern is usually safety, as you know you have a longer reaction time to hit the brakes if you are in aero position. So if you go, just don't stay in pelotons, always leave some distance between you and the rider in front and it should be ok imho.

Also, you can check with the organizers of each race to be sure they don't have any rules against it.

I find that here at least, people are quite lax with it, unless as I said you are racing to win.
2016-05-23 7:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I have ridden most in this area and they do not have a problem with it, however you may get snive remarks from some riders.
Just remember you will not be aero for at least half the ride, as it is unsafe when close to other riders. Do not draft in aero, but if your leading a pack its ok.

Alternately.

Instead of charity ride, go out to West Chester on the weekends. They have rides of all levels every Saturday different distances. Sundays they usually have 2 or 3 rides going as well. They have hundreds of routes from West Chester and they mix them up a lot. Ride leaders know the routes pretty well and most have them downloaded into their garmins. Many rides are no drop rides unless you go for the B+ to A rides, they will drop you like a bad habit.

Here is a link to the site, they post all rides in advance so you can pick and choose what you want to do.

http://www.wccyclingclub.com/postedrides/index.html

Remember if your averaging 18mph in an IM or HIM that does not mean you are going to keep up with a group from WC that has a goal avg of 17mph. We have lots of hills and waiting for people slows things down. Start in a group lower than think you hang with and talk to the group leader when you get there about being on the tri bike. There are a couple of us that occasionally use tri bikes on these rides so riders are used to seeing them, but they may not want you too close until they know you can handle a bike.

2016-05-23 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I've done a few organized rides and ridden my tri-bike in some of them.  

When you ride your tri-bike, stay out of the pelotons.  It doesn't matter  whether you're actually riding in the aero position or not if you still have the aero bars, cyclists won't want you there.  Being swept along in a group isn't a great training exercise for an Ironman anyways.  

2016-05-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

you're fine, just stay on the bullhorns when you're behind someone or in a big group.  if you want time in aero ride away from others. Just a safety thing

2016-05-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

I first learned that cyclists have a problem with aero bars upon joining a weekend group ride last summer (I had my road bike with clip on aero bars)at Action Wheels in NJ, this unkind lady relentlessly areo bar shamed me the entire ride. I should note that I never even touched the bars or attempted to ride aero at any point.

I am in no way an aggressive rider. I actually do not even really like riding in groups and chatting with people. I think that the road, cars and obstacles require my full attention. I have actually never had a good experience with group rides and I do not have any buds that live nearby who share my same pace. So I am A-Ok with keeping away from people. I want to join the supported ride to change up the scenery, have access to a marked course and water stops.

It sounds like I will def get some comments from other riders but hopefully I will just be able to ignore their negative energy.
2016-05-23 9:26 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I've done a good number of group rides with aerobars locked on. The first time I show for a group, they remind me to stay out of aero. However, since it's a written rule with this club, and they're absolutely polite about it, there's no issues. Nothing was said at the Metric I rode last year.
2016-05-23 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Aero haters are gonna hate, nothing you can do about that. As others have said, though, don't ride aero unless you are far, far away from others. Don't be the tri bike jerk that gives justification to the haters. 

Every time I ride a large group ride (we have rides with 3K to 7K participants), I see a jerk on a tri bike doing something unsafe like riding aero while passing people on turns. That means some beginner rider pulls out suddenly, and that jerk can't brake in time.  Or yes, riding aero in a group.

Just stay on the bullhorns the vast majority of the time, and do us tri bike riders proud.

2016-05-23 10:59 AM

I did the same thing this last weekend. Decided I would ride in a Century to change up the scenery and get some long miles in for training. I never train with anyone in groups for Bike/Run. I was on my road bike, but earlier in the week decided to put my clip-ons on for the first time since buying them a year ago(go Figure). There were only about 30 riders in the charity event for 100miles, but I was with the lead group for about 18 miles before folks started to split up. Not one person said a word about my bars. I also met up with a lady on her cervelo p2 about 45 miles in and we talked for a few miles, but aero bars never came into the discussion at all.

I guess it depends on the people your riding with and whether or not you appear to be able to ride smart with them. I say ride with them, and stay safe.
2016-05-23 11:20 AM

As has been stated by others, it's primarily a safety thing, but most centuries allow it. Just stay out of big groups and you should be fine.

Wife rode her shiv in the solvang century and nobody said a word.

Next time an unkind womon tries to "aero shame" you, stick up for yourself.
2016-05-23 1:47 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

(Haters Gonna Hate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Haters Gonna Hate.jpg (13KB - 3 downloads)
2016-05-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

New user
Philadelphia
HH: How did you find a pic of my bike?

This is exceptionally hilarious bc I have a pink QR CD0.1 (It is effin fabulous) and I have a fondness for unicorns!

Thanks again lovely triathletes.

2016-05-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Fort Walton Beach
I've done them. As a matter of fact, hubby and I are doing one in June. The local roadies that I ride with at times (on my road bike) were asking who is going. I told them that we were, but that we'd be riding our tri bikes and would love to meet up with them for dinner the night before.

We'll do our own thing and stay away from groups. We could ride the road bikes, but training for a 70.3, I prefer to get my long rides in on my tri bike down on the bars.

I am really looking forward to the change of scenery for our long ride.

Edited by lmihalcik 2016-05-24 1:50 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike at a Century Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Century or Metric Century 2 weeks before HIM?

Started by cwpeters
Views: 986 Posts: 10

2012-11-04 8:14 PM colinphillips

Tri bike or not to Tri bike?

Started by zlr101
Views: 1537 Posts: 7

2012-06-22 4:11 PM Tom Demerly.

To tri bike or not to tri bike

Started by Milkquasy
Views: 1149 Posts: 11

2009-07-14 2:15 PM skarl

Century/Half-Century: What to bring along?

Started by krludwig
Views: 2344 Posts: 16

2008-02-08 8:08 AM graceful_dave

Century/Double Century

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 1129 Posts: 3

2005-02-15 10:02 PM hjmiii
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.