General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming frustration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-23 8:36 AM

User image

Subject: Swimming frustration
During this morning's swim (using RPE HIM plan) I noticed that I'm actually swimming better at RPE4 than RPE9 (20x50m alternating). Despite expending more energy to move faster harder etc I actually seemed to be slowing myself down. I need to figure this out - I can tell I'm twisting sideways some which is likely part of the prob, but anyone else have similar experience and/or suggestions?

2016-05-23 8:49 AM
in reply to: KTLiz

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Subject: RE: Swimming frustration
Form > everything while training. If anything you do depredates your form, stop doing it.
2016-05-23 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Trying to increase your stroke rate too much can result  in your stroke fundamentals starting to break down.   You lose your grip on the water and at some point you're just "spinning your wheels".

One of the challenges in practice is to find your "sweet spot" - the combination of the fastest turnover rate you can maintain without adversely affecting your stroke efficiency..

In my case, I tend to shorten the back end or finish of my arm stroke when I try to increase my tempo too much.

Many folks, myself included, also have to fight the temptation to 'muscle' the water  Your arm pull should smoothly accelerate from the catch through the finish.    

It seems a bit counter-intuitive, but a long, efficient stroke is usually faster than a short aggressive stroke.

Mark 

.   .   

2016-05-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5183200

User image

"Spinning my wheels" was exactly what it felt like. Thanks for the input I'll keep my focus on form and quality movement ahead of going all out. Hopefully more speed with that.
2016-05-23 8:03 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by KTLiz

During this morning's swim (using RPE HIM plan) I noticed that I'm actually swimming better at RPE4 than RPE9 (20x50m alternating). Despite expending more energy to move faster harder etc I actually seemed to be slowing myself down. I need to figure this out - I can tell I'm twisting sideways some which is likely part of the prob, but anyone else have similar experience and/or suggestions?

This one is easy. Just keep swimming at RPE4. Don't trust effort in the water. You'll be a far far far better swimmer than most triathletes if you can make the connection to moving forward as opposed to spending energy. IN the meantime, swim easier to swim faster and over time, just try an RPE of 4.25, or 4.5 and see if you go faster still. if not, go back to RPE4.
2016-05-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by KTLiz During this morning's swim (using RPE HIM plan) I noticed that I'm actually swimming better at RPE4 than RPE9 (20x50m alternating). Despite expending more energy to move faster harder etc I actually seemed to be slowing myself down. I need to figure this out - I can tell I'm twisting sideways some which is likely part of the prob, but anyone else have similar experience and/or suggestions?
This one is easy. Just keep swimming at RPE4. Don't trust effort in the water. You'll be a far far far better swimmer than most triathletes if you can make the connection to moving forward as opposed to spending energy. IN the meantime, swim easier to swim faster and over time, just try an RPE of 4.25, or 4.5 and see if you go faster still. if not, go back to RPE4.

^ X2

What so often happens is that swimmers, especially newer swimmers that may have some technique shortcomings to work out, try to go faster by turning over faster.  What generally ends up happening is technique breaks down and they end up trying to beat the water into submission - the water almost always wins.  They end up anaerobic, out of breath, frustrated, and slower.

Smooth, long, and efficient will almost always be faster during an endurance event.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming frustration Rss Feed