United States
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 39s
Overall Rank = 69/84
Age Group = 31-40
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

It was an afternoon race, so this was not my usual routine. I had lunch at 11:15 - salad and rice - and tried to drink some of a Vitamin Water (I messed this up - I got a zero calorie one that went right through me). It felt weird to be prepping for a race that late in the day.
Event warmup:

Got there by 12, stretched and ran 6 minutes. Went to the bathroom six or seven times (how much water did I drink this morning?)
Run
  • 1h 06m 39s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Started out toward the back of the pack for once, which worked out well. I went out at a good pace. I was able to run well, maneuvering around puddles and muddy spots, for most of the first lap. I have long suspected that I'm a pretty good hill runner and this was borne out when I passed one woman pretty strongly on the steepest spot on the whole route. Jeff helped me out by placing our stuff (quite inadvertently) right near the start line, so I was able to grab my Vitamin Water and drink another mouthful before starting the second lap. I was pretty dehydrated during the fourth mile, though, and it didn't help that the sun came out briefly during that portion. I did a lot of walking from 40 minutes on, going as few as two minutes before walking again. My legs totally turned to bricks - I actually felt like I was getting closer to the ground, because they wouldn't extend normally. Cardio-wise, I still felt ok, but it was definitely hard to keep those legs moving. I was able to kick it into a pretty strong sprint finish, though (thank you, fartlek runs!).
What would you do differently?:

Hydration. I lost a ton of salt and was dehydrated on the second lap. By the time I finished, I had salt deposits across my face and my eyes burned when sweat dripped into them. Choosing a better electrolyte drink would help significantly.

Obviously, resting my legs would have led to better performance, too, but that wasn't in my training schedule at this point. That 25 mile bike on Friday really wiped them out.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the festival a bit, sat and watched the awards, then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, the point I'm at in my training schedule, and the extra weight I'm carrying.

Event comments:

It was a very nice little race. The trails were well-marked, the race was well-staffed, and everything went off smoothly. My only complaint was the single water station. It would have been nice to have two on the course. I was dehydrated on the second lap of the 10K and could have used some extra water.

Last updated: 2016-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:39 | 10 kms | 06m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 69/84
Performance: Average
Course: Looping around the Watershed trails for 1.5 miles, onto Wargo Road, right onto Titus Mill, and back through the Watershed trails. 10k was two laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-23 12:20 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Watershed Trail Run 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Watershed Trail Run 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run Like the Wind 10K Trail Run

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 1540 Posts: 18

2015-04-30 5:59 PM TankBoy

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2013-03-17 1:32 PM Lar Dog

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by jpf5911
Views: 1105 Posts: 1

2012-02-21 10:03 PM jpf5911

Muddy Trails 10k trail run

Started by antlimon166
Views: 1518 Posts: 2

2010-04-05 5:42 PM BigDH

Nissan XTERRA SCRAMBLE TRAIL RUN SERIES 5K/10K

Started by haygosl
Views: 904 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 8:02 PM haygosl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.