General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Central Ohio: Open Water Training locations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-24 10:16 AM

Subject: Central Ohio: Open Water Training locations?
Figured I would seek the wisdom and advice from other locals. I'm from the southern columbus (Grove City) area and trying to find close places that I can do some open water training without having to drive 40+ minutes to a lake (Deer Creek or Alum Creek).

I've heard of some suggestions as to Olentangy, or Greggs reservoir, but I dont know if you can and if you so, then where is a safe place to swim.

The swim is by far the most challenging part, and training in the nice indoor controlled environment HAS NOT prepared me for choppy water and the inability to breath. Would like some more practice, just don't know any closer places.

Thanks

2016-05-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: Cgrossman

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Central Ohio: Open Water Training locations?
Most of the city-owned and private-owned open water does not allow swimming.
State parks do, which is why Alum Creek and Deer Creek are good choices.

If you are willing to take a risk, you can swim at Runaway Bay in Grandview, which would be closer to you. Technically swimming is only allowed for residents of the apartments, but I know lots of triathletes (including me) have swum there in the past.
2016-05-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Thanks for the tip. Want to try and keep my nose as clean as possible, so I'll stick to places that I know I wont get into trouble It's a bit of a drive but I can go to deer creek and swim there. Doing my first tri there anyway in June so I should get used to the area more.

The weather has been pretty bad when I could go, and I would train more in open water if I didn't spend more time traveling than training (...rant over)

Thanks again!
2016-05-24 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Yeah, I know. You can also try looking at Google Earth and seeing if there is any water near you, and then try to figure out the ownership and just ask permission.
2016-05-25 9:02 AM

User image

We swim in the quarry behind runaway bay often. I've never even been looked at twice going back there. Just make sure you park in a visitor spot if you drive over. Also, be confident in your swimming, as it is a quarry and you really can't stop and stand up.

Other than that it is just Deer creek and Alum creek that I know of or have found so far.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Central Ohio: Open Water Training locations? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Central ohio training partners

Started by newbz
Views: 1294 Posts: 11

2009-04-09 10:26 AM chrisrunzs26

Central Ohio OWS

Started by jacasa
Views: 962 Posts: 3

2008-05-08 7:32 PM Shintri14

Swim help in Central Ohio

Started by kopp56
Views: 1651 Posts: 14

2008-02-08 10:14 AM jacasa

Newbies in Central Ohio Pages: 1 2

Started by Sully72
Views: 3014 Posts: 34

2008-11-18 7:44 PM newbz

Central Ohio

Started by PGilger
Views: 912 Posts: 2

2007-01-18 10:43 AM du2Tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : October 5, 2007
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
date : September 25, 2007
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.