General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean swimming in Kailua, HI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-24 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: Ocean swimming in Kailua, HI
Sometimes ocean swimming includes things like sharks.

This was right along the buoy line where i swim. Note, multiple hammerheads.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fa...

Edited by metafizx 2016-05-24 1:11 PM

2016-05-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Ocean swimming in Kailua, HI
sorry had to fix the link...working now (in above post)
2016-05-24 1:45 PM

Nope....nope...noooooooooo....and nope.

That video is almost as bad for me as the people in those batsuits or the nutjobs on radio towers.

I have an irrational fear of Asian carp as it is. And they're not known to eat humans like sharks. As far as we know.
2016-05-24 1:55 PM

User image

Is that along the buoy line at the Kona Pier? If so, there are always swimmers long there (every day, all day). Wow
2016-05-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

..and this is why I stick to the pool unless I am in a group with folks who are slower than me.

Last time I was on the Big Island for Hawaii 70.3, I just got out of the water in front of our hotel just North of Kailua and the lifeguards were talking about the two tiger shark attacks earlier in the week.  One right off the pier involving a woman and child on a boogie board and another closer to the beach I was at.  Then a few years later on Maui there was a shark attack about a mile up the beach at about the same time I was going for a swim.

Certainly not without risk to be out there.  I have talked to folks that have been swimming in these waters for years and they do not give it a second thought.  I am just glad the small lake that I swim in has no dangerous critters.  You just have to watch out for all the kayaks and SUPs.

2016-05-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by popsracer

..and this is why I stick to the pool unless I am in a group with folks who are slower than me.

Last time I was on the Big Island for Hawaii 70.3, I just got out of the water in front of our hotel just North of Kailua and the lifeguards were talking about the two tiger shark attacks earlier in the week.  One right off the pier involving a woman and child on a boogie board and another closer to the beach I was at.  Then a few years later on Maui there was a shark attack about a mile up the beach at about the same time I was going for a swim.

Certainly not without risk to be out there.  I have talked to folks that have been swimming in these waters for years and they do not give it a second thought.  I am just glad the small lake that I swim in has no dangerous critters.  You just have to watch out for all the kayaks and SUPs.

yep it makes you ponder ! as I am right now....pool or ocean ?

2016-05-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Rdracer99

Is that along the buoy line at the Kona Pier? If so, there are always swimmers long there (every day, all day). Wow

this Kailua Oahu...but they've had our toothy friends over at Kona too. But I haven't heard of any problems though.

We did have an "issue" last year which was a bit disconcerting to say the least.
2016-05-24 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Sharks scare the crap out of me. Then again, things like this happen: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/crazed-otter-attacks-minne...
2016-05-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Atlantia

Sharks scare the crap out of me. Then again, things like this happen: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/crazed-otter-attacks-minne...

yikes !!!
2016-05-24 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by metafizx

btw...I did the ocean swim anyway ;-) didn't see a thing
2016-05-24 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Did you ever peek over your shoulder?

I have pondered whether my fear was rational or not because I hate to forego swimming in some of the most beautiful places in the world but I just think man that would hurt as the teeth sunk in.  Maybe its Jaws fault as I was afraid to swim even in a pool after I saw the movie when it was first released.

2016-05-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Did you ever peek over your shoulder?

I have pondered whether my fear was rational or not because I hate to forego swimming in some of the most beautiful places in the world but I just think man that would hurt as the teeth sunk in.  Maybe its Jaws fault as I was afraid to swim even in a pool after I saw the movie when it was first released.

I freaked a few times, a few people with fins didn't see me and almost swam into them... minor heart thump.

I used to not even think much about it, and try not to, but last year was a game changer for me.
2016-05-24 5:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wasn't there an attack at Hapuna on the Big Island last year? That has really put me off swimming in Hawaii. (Well, that plus getting thrown out of the water trying to get past the break when things got a bit rough there a few years ago.)

If there are shark reports from Ala Moana, I just might not even pack a swimsuit anymore. Unless, I guess, for a certain race. I figure in a race, there would always be faster/slower/more meaty prey out there for the sharks to go after. Plus any shark in its right mind would probably get the h...out of the way of a Kona start.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-24 5:26 PM
2016-05-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Wasn't there an attack at Hapuna on the Big Island last year? That has really put me off swimming in Hawaii. (Well, that plus getting thrown out of the water trying to get past the break when things got a bit rough there a few years ago.)

If there are shark reports from Ala Moana, I just might not even pack a swimsuit anymore. Unless, I guess, for a certain race. I figure in a race, there would always be faster/slower/more meaty prey out there for the sharks to go after. Plus any shark in its right mind would probably get the h...out of the way of a Kona start.

yes there was at Hapuna. Gulp that's my next race.

we had a bad one in Lanikai last Oct.

I do still ocean swim, but pick my spots and conditions.
2016-05-24 6:00 PM

User image

I swam the Kona course (or parts of it) while on vacation a couple years back.  It is eerier because you can see *everything* so your imagination runs wild.  I prefer the murkier water, don't know it until it hits you.      I quite literally ran into a turtle (or maybe he ran into me) and it scared the poop outta me.

The next week we were diving around the corner outside Honukahau (sp) harbor, and while dealing with my tank on the back of the boat saw a dorsal and a tail fin sticking out of the water, very far apart indicating a large shark.  Asked the divemaster and he said "oh that's just Lavern, she hangs out here because the fishermen drop fish guts at this buoy,"  NEver saw her on the dive, but we went again last year, and the DM said she swam right over our heads

2016-05-24 6:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

A buddy and I once came across a Nurse Shark while snorkelling.  Just kind of went around a corner in the reef and there it was just hanging out.  It didn't seem to give two chits about us so we just took a few pics and kept going.

Coolest thing ever!    (the wives disagreed when we told them...)

2016-05-24 7:49 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ChrisM

I swam the Kona course (or parts of it) while on vacation a couple years back.  It is eerier because you can see *everything* so your imagination runs wild.  I prefer the murkier water, don't know it until it hits you.      I quite literally ran into a turtle (or maybe he ran into me) and it scared the poop outta me.

The next week we were diving around the corner outside Honukahau (sp) harbor, and while dealing with my tank on the back of the boat saw a dorsal and a tail fin sticking out of the water, very far apart indicating a large shark.  Asked the divemaster and he said "oh that's just Lavern, she hangs out here because the fishermen drop fish guts at this buoy,"  NEver saw her on the dive, but we went again last year, and the DM said she swam right over our heads

yep I know that feeling. I felt it swimming Kona alone too.

As for Laverne, there was some guy torturing that shark a few years back, made the news. Popular shark. I guess Laverne is still there, although maybe a little less "friendly".
2016-05-25 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have had the same experience with the turtle, at Hapuna. I had just started tri and was training for my first Olympic distance race. I gradually became aware that SOMETHING was shadowing me, kind of in my blind spot. I could just make out that it was not human and it was swimming. I was in fairly deep water maybe 100m out due to the shore break, so just kept swimming toward the shallow water at one end--decided I would stand up and hit the "shark" on the nose and try to disable it. That was probably the most motivated 300m or so in several years. Got to the shallow, calm water, stood up and turned around, and just avoided whacking a baby sea turtle. He proceeded to follow me back and forth for two more laps. Crazy--he must have been really bored. Mom saw the whole incident--to this day, she always gives me sea turtle jewelry as a gift as she claims he must be my totem animal. (The grim truth--sharks prey on sea turtles, which means that swimming with one of those is being a meal swimming with an appetizer!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean swimming in Kailua, HI Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Calculating Ocean Swimming Distances

Started by auto208562
Views: 638 Posts: 4

2005-05-01 7:51 PM jkbostic

Openwater ocean swimming

Started by aphoric
Views: 939 Posts: 8

2004-10-26 2:37 PM aphoric

ocean swimming?

Started by madeye
Views: 616 Posts: 6

2004-08-06 4:47 PM roxx

Ocean Open Water Swimming

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 437 Posts: 1

2004-08-02 3:06 PM ChuckyFinster

ocean swims & sharks?

Started by TriCat
Views: 1027 Posts: 15

2004-04-23 1:51 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.