General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A TIP FROM EMILIO - HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-24 2:02 PM

User image

Sunny San Diego
Subject: A TIP FROM EMILIO - HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT

Many of us have arrived at a race venue the day before the race and have wisely gotten in the water to test the temperature and, well, to get in a swim workout.

The next morning your wetsuit is still wet and you will quickly realize it very difficult to get into it. It takes forever to put on and you end up having overstretched stretched wetsuit that is not properly sitting against your body or aligned properly along your limbs. There are a few ways you can still put on a wet wetsuit without much trouble at all. These are proven to work with T1 Wetsuits for sure, and with most other brands as well.

1. Put it on in the water: Put it on in knee-to-waist deep water. Once get it on up to your waist, submerse yourself and slip into the top.
2. Put in on in the shower: with your body wet and water flowing down the inside of the wetsuit as you would normally put in on.
3. Roll it on. Turn the wetsuit inside out and roll it on starting at the ankles. Imagine someone filming you removing the wetsuit, then play the film backwards.
4. Plastic bags: On dry land, use a plastic bag big enough to cover your foot to your ankle (a grocery bag works fine too). Put on one foot, slip the wetsuit leg on, then remove the bag and repeat on your other, then your hands.

These tips are for everyone so please share!

Emilio De Soto II

2016-05-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: Emilio

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: RE: A TIP FROM EMILIO - HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT
In similar fashion, a great tip to Take Off your wetsuit.

Cooking Spray.

It's not going to damage the neoprene in your wetsuit and provides better lubrication than body glide will for wetsuit to skin contact. So if you have problems with sticky ankles or wrists when you're trying to swap out the wetsuit during T1 try putting on the cooking spray around those annoying contact areas.
2016-05-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Sunny San Diego

I have a whole tip on different removal options, which I may post later, but I agree with most of your post. Body Glide does not at all simplify removal of a wetsuit at all.  It only helps reduce chafing in certain areas.  The problem with cooking spray is that while it will not damage the rubber it will damage the seam on most brands that use glue and blind stitching.  The other issue is if you exit the water and you happen to touch that cooking spray, you will spend your entire race trying to shift gears and brake with fingers covered in oil.  There are better options that start with practice.

2016-05-24 7:48 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
I'd be interested to see what kind of chemical reaction is going on with the cooking spray and the seams?

Personally I've raced in my current wetsuit the last 4 seasons (counting this year) now with no issues and I've never had any issues with slippery fingers either; sticky GU fingers sure, oily fingers, no. I do have my wetsuit legs cut fairly high so I don't need the spray there, it's mostly for rubbing around the neck for me personally and for the wrists.

Without name dropping, the cooking spray tip comes first hand to me from a well known former pro. It's still her go-to suggestion for young athletes she works with that have tight wetsuits. So I'd love to be able to pass on any data on how the cooking spray is affecting the seam glue on the suits if you have it.
2016-05-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sunny San Diego

Sorry, I did not mean to sound argumentative.  I know people who use cooking spray.  I also know a lot of pros and formers pros.  Most know a lot about training and racing, and very little about wetsuits, or most of the product they get for free for that matter.  After 26 years in the clothing and wetsuit business I have seen plenty of wetsuits get ruined by different things like cooking spray, vaseline, and many other strange ideas.   My purpose here is to offer tips,  and yours was a good one too.  Thanks for contributing to this thread and please do so again any time.

Edited by Emilio 2016-05-24 9:24 PM
2016-05-24 10:41 PM
in reply to: #5183562

User image

I have never had an issue putting on a damp wetsuit but I think the advice is good.

Plastic bags are great.

Pam or cooking spray is used by tons of people. I have never seen any damage but I'll take Emilio's word that it happens. Tri Slide is a product that sprays on like cooking spray and is made for wetsuits.

2016-05-25 8:13 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by Emilio

Sorry, I did not mean to sound argumentative.  I know people who use cooking spray.  I also know a lot of pros and formers pros.  Most know a lot about training and racing, and very little about wetsuits, or most of the product they get for free for that matter.  After 26 years in the clothing and wetsuit business I have seen plenty of wetsuits get ruined by different things like cooking spray, vaseline, and many other strange ideas.   My purpose here is to offer tips,  and yours was a good one too.  Thanks for contributing to this thread and please do so again any time.

It's totally fine. I know you're what I'll dub "the clothing guy" for sake of simplicity and that it's going to be your area of expertise. I was aware vaseline was an issue (although in general you'd think it was pretty inert).

For me it really is a more "matter of fact" kind of statement of I'd like to see what's going on so I can pass it on (and I'm sure she would like to know as well). Totally serious, not sarcastic. Then maybe we could figure out if it's all cooking spray, particular kinds, all wetsuits, certain manufacturers, etc.

I'd say at this point we know that some wetsuits aren't affected by it (mine came from USAT's high performance department, private labeled for USAT but I think made by Orca), but obviously you've seen wetsuits that are affected. So my mind goes to "what's the difference that causes issues?"
2016-05-25 9:09 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I've used plastic bags for arms and legs with great success.  It's also important to know the proper way to line up seams, especially on the arms/elbows.  If the seams aren't where they are designed to be, your range of motion can be compromised.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A TIP FROM EMILIO - HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A Tip from Emilio: Emilio's First Law of Triathlon

Started by Emilio
Views: 844 Posts: 1

2016-05-12 2:42 PM Emilio

A Tip from Emilio: CUTTING WETSUIT LEGS

Started by Emilio
Views: 2375 Posts: 2

2007-03-26 8:58 AM dhyte

A Wetsuit Tip that applies to all wetsuits - from Emilio Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Emilio
Views: 12473 Posts: 72

2012-03-26 11:53 AM kloofyroland

Wetsuit tip from Emilio De soto

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 988 Posts: 2

2007-03-21 10:18 AM VanCityJ

A Wetsuit Tip from Emilio De Soto.

Started by Emilio
Views: 4226 Posts: 22

2012-05-06 8:25 AM joematt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2014
author : funkj25
comments : 0
The open water swim can be one of the scariest or most fun parts of your race. Use these four tips to take a little fear out of the water and turn it into more of an enjoyable experience.

date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.
date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.