General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 10:00 AM

Subject: looking for advice
I am a 34 yo, 270 lb, male. I am working to get in shape lose a lot of weight and looking to complete a goal of racing in a triathlon. My goal is to race in one at the soonest next summer. While doing at least a couple 5k's along the way. I am going to the gym regular, hopefully eating a balanced. I'm going to the paleo diet. I'm and working on a training routine. I have been looking for a good schedule that combines running, swimming, biking, and weight training.

for the first 4-5 weeks do 3 sets of 12 reps

lateral pull downs
leg extensions
flat dumbbell press
leg curls
dumbbell pullover
upright dumbbell press
bicep curls
triceps push downs
proin raises
sit ups
reverse curls
oblique crunch
crunches
roman chair

so my schedule is weight train mon, wed, fri, run on tue and swim on thur, bike on sat.

The schedule I found for swimming I am unable to follow currently because I can only go two laps before winded and only about 6 total.
I am able to do about 5 miles on the treadmill running 9 minutes with a 1 min brisk walk. For biking i am up to about 15 miles mountain biking, I do not have a road bike that fits properly yet, so am looking at getting a set of road tires for my bike until I can afford a proper street bike.

I am trying to find a good workout out routine for training that will benefit all aspects for someone brand new to it all. Any help, specific exercises I should be doing, a better schedule I should focus on. anything. If any other information is needed just ask.

2016-05-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: cytri

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: looking for advice
I'm following one of the BT free training programs, and have found it perfect for my needs. I'm just trying to build volume, nothing fancy, I just needed a better understanding of how much to do and when. The Sprint 3x 16 week plan worked well. I've got my race in a week and change and I feel very ready!
What distance is the race you're hoping to do? You seem to have good mileage built on the bike and run, so that's great. I would recommend running outside if you can. The wind, hills, and varying surfaces of running outside are not something you should experience for the first time at the end of your race.
That being said, with swimming, you may need something more specific. Have you taken any lessons? I took some group lessons at the local REC center and found them to be extremely beneficial.
2016-05-26 10:24 AM

User image

Exton, PA
cut some of the weight lifting out and take swim lessons.

Also at 270lbs be careful not to overdue the running, don't try to push your speed at all just do a nice easy pace. Running has much higher potential of injury than other sports. As you drop weight your speed will increase anyway so just run easy and avoid injury.

Spend more time on the bike and swimming.

2016-05-26 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

More cardio. More swim, bike, run. Less weight training. 

Swimming is a technique sport.  Do you have any background in it or a adult learner or what?

Do you have any athletic background and if so what kind?

2016-05-26 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd second Laura's suggestion to check out some of the beginner training plans available on BT.

If you enjoy going to the gym and lifting, that's great.

But quite frankly, running, swimming and cycling only once a week isn't a very effective way to train for a triathlon.  Triathlon is an aerobic endurance sport, and spending most of your time in the gym isn't going to help much in that regard.

Sounds like swimming is a weakness, so you ought to be both swimming more and getting some help with your technique.

Same for running; rather than going 5 miles once a week, try to get out 2-3 times per week for shorter distances.  

Good luck,

Mark

2016-05-26 10:39 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Swimming background is lessons when I was a kid, no problems swimming, have a basic understanding of freestyle, just no endurance for it. background for sports was baseball when I was a kid, did rollerblading and roller hockey when I was in high school, and for the past couple years mountain biking. I'm not doing any sprinting on the treadmill for running just doing a steady pace of a level 5 if that makes since.

2016-05-26 10:45 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I'll echo the comments for more cardio (i.e. run, bike, or swim instead of weight training), but add mileage slowly. No need to rush things. I don't know if it's a goal of yours to lose weight, but if you do it will make you faster and less prone to fatigue type injuries.

I'm also a little worried about your carb intake on a paleo diet. You can get them for sure, but be sure to think about where they are going to come from. Some people I know who have done paleo in the past focus a little too much on protein (i.e. meat) and not enough on fruits, grains, and veggies.

I lost about 35 lbs last summer training for my first triathlon. I found that myfitnesspal was helpful in giving me an approximate idea of how many calories I was burning vs taking in. It also has data for the amount of carbs, fat, protein, etc. in a lot of the foods in their database. It can help drive you toward a good, regular diet.
2016-05-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: marti038

I am looking to lose around 70 lbs. With the Paleo diet, it is a main focus on the protein, but you need to balance it with fruits and vegetables, your suppose to pretty much eat as much as you can. More fruits and vegetables than protein, you just need the protein at each meal.
2016-05-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I should probably elaborate why I suggested you should focus on carbs. You'll need lots of them doing these endurance sports. Way more than someone who isn't very active and way more than someone whose primary exercise is weight training.

Since you said you're trying to lose weight, I'd also recommend reading "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. Good book for understanding what you should eat and why (for endurance sports anyway).

Edited by marti038 2016-05-26 11:07 AM
2016-05-26 11:34 AM

Ill check that out right away, thanks.
2016-05-26 11:47 AM

Sarasota, Florida
I'm no trainer and can only speak from experience but when I'm training for a foot race I'm running at least 3xs a week. Now throw in swimming and cycling and it's difficult to do 3 of each per week let alone weight train. I also weight lift, but put it in the background since I got into triathlon. Now I do each at least twice a week while training.

My personal Sun-Sat schedules goes: Swim, Weight Lift and Run, Off, Swim and Run, long Cycle or long Run, Weight Lift and Swim, Brick. The days of combined workouts I usually do them back to back so I only need one workout but those swims and runs are usually shorter speed work.
Like others said be careful if you're upping your miles in running and get your technique figured out in the pool.
Good luck and have fun.

2016-05-26 11:54 AM

Master
, California

I agree on the comments about swimming and biking more.  Bump the biking to 2 days a week, then 3 or 4 as you get more comfortable.  With running, more easy days are better than 1 hard day.  If you still want time in the gym, add a 15 minute jog on the treadmill.  It's easier on your legs than the road and you'll get some extra cardio.

2016-05-26 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Take my word for it........you're going to need to swim a lot to gain endurance. It's not really a lot........for a swimmer, but to you......1500-2000 yds....4Xwk probably sounds like a lot, right now. I'd start there.

There is no way around this. If you can't make your distance (swim leg) triathlon will be no fun for you. My suggestion is to not wait until it is an issue.

Good luck.
2016-05-26 1:14 PM

I will defer to everyone else on the SBR portion, but I will agree with them on cutting the strength days down if your goal is to complete a triathlon. My advice is, if you choose to keep the strength training then reduce it to one to two days and get rid of all those isolation movements and focus on the big four for a while (i.e., back squat, deadlift, press and bench). All those isolation movements won't help you with developing the strong core that you really need. If you limited yourself to two strength days a week, you could squat and press one day and deadlift and bench another day. If you are new to these movements I would suggest looking up starting strength by Mark Ripptoe - he has a good video with the basics of these four lifts. You could look up any linear strength plan focused on the big four and try to compress it into two days. You won't get the same training effect as it was intended to provide, but it would be better than nothing. Or at the very least you could do something simple like a 3x5 of each movement with a increase of 2.5 lbs each week for press and bench and 5 for the squat and deadlift. If you stall just reset to a weight from two -three weeks prior and continue with the progression.
2016-05-27 7:26 AM
in reply to: #5183915

If you can only swim 2 laps at a time and 6 total (but can run 3 miles and mtb 15) thus is not an endurance issue but a technique issue. Swim lessons as a kid is often. About being able to save yourself by getting to a wall. The test is often only 25-50 yard. You can have really poor form and pass the test.
2016-05-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5184127

I don't understand why you have put such a heavy priority on the weight training. Is lifting something you do now, and something you enjoy, therefore you want to keep doing while you train for a tri?

If the above is not applicable, I'd go so far as to say that if your goal is to lose 70 lbs or more and do a tri, to ditch the weight training from your plan almost entirely. I dont do any weight training at all. I mix in hand paddles in the pool and big gear intervals on the bike to simulate strength work, but it's applied in a way that's directly tied to being in the pool or on the bike.

IMO 1 swim 1 bike 1 run will likely not provide the cardiovascular volume that is needed to achieve the goals you have described.

2016-05-27 7:53 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I'd second Laura's suggestion to check out some of the beginner training plans available on BT.

If you enjoy going to the gym and lifting, that's great.

But quite frankly, running, swimming and cycling only once a week isn't a very effective way to train for a triathlon.  Triathlon is an aerobic endurance sport, and spending most of your time in the gym isn't going to help much in that regard.

Sounds like swimming is a weakness, so you ought to be both swimming more and getting some help with your technique.

Same for running; rather than going 5 miles once a week, try to get out 2-3 times per week for shorter distances.  

Good luck,

Mark

This advice is so good that I quoted it so you can read it again.

Here is my bit of training advice: get a plan and stick to it. I mean, really stick to it. I decided years ago that I wasn't going to miss a workout. The decision has already been made. When I get home and I am tired or feeling exhausted, or just flat-out don't want to train.... I train anyways. Again, the decision has already been made, no need to negotiate. At 270 pounds you need to develop consistency and make some lifestyle changes. Download a free plan from this site and stick to it.

For weight loss, paleo works well because you are eating less calories. If it works for you, great, but there is nothing magical about paleo except that it forces you to take in less calories. Make it your goal to drop your excess weight over a year or more. Drastic plans that have you losing 70 pounds in two months are rarely sustainable. Eating a little bit less and training a little bit more should get you where you want to be.

For those who will ask; of course I have missed workouts. Family, work, life, all take precedence over my hobby. But the basic point is this; consistency is the secret. If you look at the people at the front of the field at any race their secret is that they train, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after..... well, you get the point.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie Looking for Advice *Long Post*

Started by WhirledSwirl
Views: 1305 Posts: 10

2008-05-07 11:39 AM WhirledSwirl

Looking for advice

Started by jwurtz
Views: 668 Posts: 3

2007-08-29 9:19 AM OrbeaMan

Beginner here looking for advice

Started by hatch7508
Views: 655 Posts: 5

2007-05-17 10:24 AM hatch7508

Looking for advice

Started by bfranks
Views: 641 Posts: 5

2006-07-28 4:30 PM bikingbruise

Into and looking for advice

Started by ctreanor
Views: 476 Posts: 2

2005-08-31 1:52 PM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : January 8, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout