General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PM and Trainer (TrainerRoad) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-26 11:32 AM

Subject: PM and Trainer (TrainerRoad)
Hey everyone, I just thinking about getting a PM (Garmin Vector 2S) because of current sale. I am just wondering, if I mainly ride indoors on trainer and currently using TrainerRoad will my FTP acquired through that translate to outdoors? Will I get a good sense of my target wattage for say a 70.3 race from solely riding indoors with a trainer? Thanks

2016-05-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: imsoulrebel

Subject: RE: PM and Trainer (TrainerRoad)
Originally posted by imsoulrebel

Hey everyone, I just thinking about getting a PM (Garmin Vector 2S) because of current sale. I am just wondering, if I mainly ride indoors on trainer and currently using TrainerRoad will my FTP acquired through that translate to outdoors? Will I get a good sense of my target wattage for say a 70.3 race from solely riding indoors with a trainer? Thanks

may I ask what current sale? I'm interested in garmin vector 2s as well.

2016-05-26 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by imsoulrebel Hey everyone, I just thinking about getting a PM (Garmin Vector 2S) because of current sale. I am just wondering, if I mainly ride indoors on trainer and currently using TrainerRoad will my FTP acquired through that translate to outdoors? Will I get a good sense of my target wattage for say a 70.3 race from solely riding indoors with a trainer? Thanks

I wouldn't do it solely based on indoor training, personally, but I think you'd be alright.  If you have enough cooling (read: fans that move a lot of air and an air-conditioned house), your indoor FTP can correlate quite well to your outdoor FTP.  Mine does....some people say theirs doesn't. 

If you plan to do all your training indoors to dial in your target power, I'd suggest still getting in some runs after riding to confirm that it's a good target.  They don't have to be overly long runs (20 - 40 minutes), but should be done after rides similar in duration and intensity to what you'd expect in a race.

2016-05-26 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I have an original Garmin Vector power meter, and I've had an SRM in the past, used TrainerRoad virtual power and real power, etc.  Love my Garmin Vectors.

The short answer is that training is training, and power is power, and training on an indoor trainer will translate to the outdoors. I've done four earlier season Ironman races where most of my training was indoors.  If you're diligent about getting in the training, you'll be fine on the training part.

But you should also get outdoor riding in for the experience.  You should also ride with others, also for the experience. Cornering, braking, descents, climbs, passing - you're doing none of that or at most a poor simulation.  Wind, rain, sun - none of that either.

2016-05-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5183958

With 20% savings on top of the price REI has going it is at $480 before taxes.
2016-05-26 4:42 PM
in reply to: #5184039

User image

Check and make sure you can use it on the Vectors. I had a discount code and it didn't apply to Garmin. Some mfg's do that.

As for training inside.. I do a good bit of training inside. A power meter can help you have consistent metrics/targets for your workouts. They may or may not be the same as your outdoor numbers. I find it much easier to hit the same numbers outdoors. For me it really comes down to cooling (I don't have nearly enough fans). YMMV

Get the PM. Train with it indoors. Verify your numbers outdoors as your race approaches. Then it will certainly help you pace your race.

2016-05-26 6:18 PM
in reply to: #5184055

I just got trainerroad about a month ago and use it with my kk road machine. Have to say I love it. I do the trainer 90% of the time due to commitments but know my fitness has improved quite a bit. As far as correlating to outside i cannot confirm that yet but if i do i will post again.
2016-05-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I do most of my rides on the trainer. Even my 4 hours ones. It's just easier for me since I have to pack my bike and drive out 20 minutes to an area I can ride around. I find the trainer to be better for training just because there's nothing in your way. You can dial in your intervals and go from there. Like others said, get a giant fan to cool you off.

Side note: I used to use Perf Pro for my training program of choice. $100 one time fee(Perf Pro) vs $12/month (TrainerRoad) seemed like a no brainer to me! Last month I switched to Zwift for $10/month. I setup my workouts and go. Zwift is neat since I'm "racing" against other people from around the world...so it's really more of a multiplayer video game with ant+ bike stats. Most people just ride/race but I found it + music to be more entertaining than Perf Pro + Netflix at this point. I've seen about everything on Netflix due to tons of training rides...

Edited by Blastman 2016-05-26 7:19 PM
2016-05-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

Originally posted by Ericallenboyd

I just got trainerroad about a month ago and use it with my kk road machine. Have to say I love it. I do the trainer 90% of the time due to commitments but know my fitness has improved quite a bit. As far as correlating to outside i cannot confirm that yet but if i do i will post again.

Trainer road is such a great tool. The workouts are great. I have no doubt I'm improving
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PM and Trainer (TrainerRoad) Rss Feed