General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to begin with training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 10:51 PM

Subject: Where to begin with training?
I'm training for my first triathlon (sprint). I have 7 years of swim team experience and run 5 miles 2 times a week as well as bike 20 miles 1-2 times a week. The other days I do stair master for an hour (to the point where I'm soaking in sweat), do elliptical machines for an hour, and walk/hike uphill for 1.5hrs. I do light free weights 2 times a week as well as hybrid yoga. I have the endurance part down but am looking for suggestions to make my race more of a sprint. Thank you!

2016-05-28 5:09 AM
in reply to: #5184351

User image

Subject: RE: Where to begin with training?
Start doing bricks. Bike, than run right afterwards. Is is helpful to acclimate your body to this transition. Additionally, practice your transitions: going from swim to bike and bike to run.
2016-05-28 6:17 AM
in reply to: #5184359

Intervals will make you faster
2016-05-28 7:45 AM
in reply to: #5184360

User image

It's a bit hard to say whiteout know more about recent fitness history, injuries, strengths, weaknesses, goals, schedule, etc. but from what you've listed it sounds like you are doing plenty of "work", it just needs to move towards more event specific work.

Are you swimming at all currently? I too swam for years but it took me a while to get the feel for the water back. Get in the pool a few times a week. Do 5 mile runs leave you beat for a few day, or are you ready for what's next? I would recommend increasing your run frequency to 4-5 times a week with shorter mileage. You can keep that 5-6 miler for the weekend. Biking 20 miles twice a week is great! Start making those bikes count (if you aren't already) working in some shorter, higher intensity efforts on some days and longer steady state work on other days.

I'm no coach but this should get you going. Don't forget to plan in recovery too!
2016-05-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5184365

Thanks everyone! I defiantly need to shorten my runs and work in some speed. I swam for the first time yesterday, doing 3000yards in an hour. I was so sore I had to pop an ibuprofen at midnight so I could finally fall asleep. Yikes. I will start doing bricks soon. Any advice for running interval training?
2016-05-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5184375

Definitely*

2016-05-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5184376

User image

What are your goals? Available training hours? You really want to go for consistency at this point. I wouldn't worry too much about run intervals until your mileage has increased and your body is ready. Work some strides into your run but don't sweat 400's, mile repeats, or whatever at this point. Speaking from personal experience, high intensity without a strong base put me on the Injured list for most of last year.

Back off the intensity a little and shoot for getting a good base under you. Its like building a house.. You need that strong foundation to hold up the walls and roof. Consistency is key. Again, this all pretty general and making lots of assumptions. And we all know what ASSUMEing does!
2016-05-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: AthleticMama

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Since you were a swimmer you likely know how to do sprint intervals in the pool. But honestly for your first triathlon I wouldn't even layer on any sprint work for the bike and run. Just focus on still building the aerobic engine slow and steady. As you can more strength and endurance naturally, I think you will be lss risk to get injured and staying injury free is the #1 priority. Get the first one done and maybe a couple more. If you start to plateau then let's talk.
2016-06-01 12:39 AM
in reply to: #5184436

Again thank you for advice. What a cool online community. I will continue to put in the time and my goal for my first race is to push myself and have FUN! Happy training/racing to all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to begin with training? Rss Feed