General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First "Real" Brick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-29 4:52 PM

User image

Subject: My First "Real" Brick
I am really new to triathlon. I've been training in the three sports for almost a year now, and am planning on doing my first one in July. I've been reading about bricks and what I've read is that they should be a minimum of a 10 mile ride followed by at least a mile run. I've tried this in the past and was unable to run after the ride. After a few tries, I went for a five mile ride followed by a 3/4 mile run (one lap around my block...). After that worked a few times, I upped it to a 6.5 mile ride and then a 1 mile run (one lap around the block with a side trip down and back out of a cul de sac).

Well today I did the 10 mile bike followed by the one mile run for the first time. I went fairly quick on the bike and a lot faster than I expected on the run to boot. I don't have biking shoes, so I ride with my running shoes on. At the "transition", I walked my bike up the driveway, leaned it against the back bumper of the truck, took off the helmet and placed it on my bike, and kinda walked/ran to the end of the driveway before I started jogging in earnest.

I was kind of in a rut with the training the last few weeks, but I think this has me pretty motivated now. Hopefully it will last til race day!

J White

2016-05-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

Subject: RE: My First "Real" Brick
Congratulations! Brick runs tend to seem like your legs just don't work properly at first. Good that you stuck with it. The weird feeling usually leaves after that first mile. So the next time when you might go a bit further yet, you may get more motivated as the "hard" part of the brick is that first mile. Great job sticking with it!
2016-05-30 9:40 AM

User image

Congratulations. It is all about training the body and legs to get comfortable with discomfort.
I run after every time I ride my bike.
2016-05-30 11:46 AM

Congrats, bricks are great! Nice to see it's brought you a new source of motivation
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First "Real" Brick Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First real brick = PR for my run

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 771 Posts: 3

2013-04-09 5:20 AM audiojan

My First Real Brick: Reality Check

Started by KeithH
Views: 2334 Posts: 23

2012-08-26 11:26 AM siouxcityhawk

First real brick

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 669 Posts: 3

2010-06-05 4:31 PM natethomas2000

First real brick-and OWS-- COOL

Started by rd04
Views: 389 Posts: 4

2006-08-03 7:49 PM Shaved_Wookie

First real Brick

Started by Itrithere4iam
Views: 526 Posts: 7

2006-03-29 7:23 PM Bluejack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?