General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first Xterra - need newbie help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-30 12:48 PM

User image

Subject: first Xterra - need newbie help

not new to Tri's, but first Xterra Laguna Beach coming up. reality setting in that i have never even attend such an event and yourtube offers very little in the "behind the scenes" category. Xterra website is also grey for newbies.

1. i am learning that T1 and T2 are not at the same place? true or false?

2. no search has told me what elevation the bike leg awaits me

3. no search has told me what the elevation for the run leg awaits me

4. family is coming out with me (wife and son) is this race specter friendly? 

5. could not find any info on bike number plates - does race number just go on bars with nothing else? (i.e. race belt holds regular tri number plate).

help with any info for the above would be great - thanks guys!!

Edited by rramirez1 2016-05-30 12:49 PM

2016-05-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: rramirez1

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: first Xterra - need newbie help
Originally posted by rramirez1

not new to Tri's, but first Xterra Laguna Beach coming up. reality setting in that i have never even attend such an event and yourtube offers very little in the "behind the scenes" category. Xterra website is also grey for newbies.

1. i am learning that T1 and T2 are not at the same place? true or false?

2. no search has told me what elevation the bike leg awaits me

3. no search has told me what the elevation for the run leg awaits me

4. family is coming out with me (wife and son) is this race specter friendly? 

5. could not find any info on bike number plates - does race number just go on bars with nothing else? (i.e. race belt holds regular tri number plate).

help with any info for the above would be great - thanks guys!!

1. looks like a single Transition area. Shown at spot "A"
http://xterralagunabeach.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2014/07/la...

2. Bike elevation looks like 2 climbs to 1KFT, and a smaller climb to 600+FT
http://xterralagunabeach.com/course-maps/

3. Run elevation around 800FT

4. not sure on the spectator part, depends if they let you out on the course during the race, otherwise it would most likely at transition

5. Usually they issue a hard bib for the bike (bars tied with zip ties or twisty ties), and you wear the soft bib for the run (ie on a race belt or pinned to your shirt
2016-05-31 7:32 AM

User image

Elite

I was going to post the exact same thread today!  I just signed up for Xterra Lake Tahoe at the end of August and have many questions too!  Like you, I'm not new to tri but have never done an off road tri but am so excited to do one!  I'll be watching this thread!  What distance are you doing?  When is it?

2016-05-31 9:04 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I was going to post the exact same thread today!  I just signed up for Xterra Lake Tahoe at the end of August and have many questions too!  Like you, I'm not new to tri but have never done an off road tri but am so excited to do one!  I'll be watching this thread!  What distance are you doing?  When is it?

1500 swim

15K bike

10K run

Laguna Beach, this weekend.

2016-06-01 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Most of your questions are very specific to the venue.  

T1 & T2 may be in the same place, maybe not.  

It's harder to get elevation profiles (running or riding) for off-road courses.  It's possible you can get this info from the race director.  

I'd say it'll be more "spectator friendly" than an IM race.
For an off-road tri, you probably aren't looking for 1 of 2000 athletes during the swim.  
For an off-road tri, the bike course is usually multiple loops and there may be vantage spots where you can see them multiple times per loop.  
For an off-road tri, they're usually biking much more slowly than the 16-20 mph on a road course.  The down side is that the clear viewing distance may be pretty small. 
For an off-road tri, you may be able to watch from a shady spot (but bring bug spray)!
For an off-road tri, they may have multiple run loops and again, there may be vantage points where you can see the athlete multiple times.  

My very SECOND tri was an off-road tri.  I'm not a great mountain biker and have a heavy, steel-frame bike.  Still, I was able to keep the rubber side down and all the other bits and pieces together as I watched far-more experienced people on much nicer rides carry their mangled bits off the course.  I finished ahead of all of them (but well behind the top finishers).  

2016-06-01 7:08 AM

Sarasota, Florida
I'm jealous. The nearest Xterra to me is an 8 hour drive.

If you don't mind I would like to throw a couple more questions in.
I am curious are you using different cycling and running shoes for this event?
Do you modify your running technique?

I'm primarily a trail runner and biker and use trail running shoes, but it's time for me to replace these and the local shop is wanting me to go lighter and adopt a pose running technique which goes against my heavy sole heel striking. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

2016-06-01 10:25 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Originally posted by runtim23

I'm jealous. The nearest Xterra to me is an 8 hour drive.

If you don't mind I would like to throw a couple more questions in.
I am curious are you using different cycling and running shoes for this event?
Do you modify your running technique?

I'm primarily a trail runner and biker and use trail running shoes, but it's time for me to replace these and the local shop is wanting me to go lighter and adopt a pose running technique which goes against my heavy sole heel striking. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

I use flat pedals on my MTB and ride in my trail shoes, which works pretty well for Xterras and quick transitions
2016-06-01 10:40 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I did my first Xterra last Sept and have 3 on the schedule for 2016. Last year was my first real season on a MTB and now I'd consider myself a beginner-intermediate skill level. (I live in Colorado)

First of all, I'd suggest pre-riding the course. This will help with your confidence.

For the race, here's a list, in no particular order.
* for the first Xterra, have your goal to be "finish and have fun". You're guaranteed a PR.

* know how to change a flat AND have the equipment on you. For my first race, there were a bazillion goat heads. My friend got a flat and had NOTHING with her to fix it. She was lucky that I found her and had the right stuff. Chances are, you won't have SAG available so you need to be able to fix things yourself.

* Riding immediately after swimming hard was challenging for the bike. In road tris, you can usually relax and cruise a bit to get your HR calmed down. That's not the case for MTB'ing. You have to be alert at all times. This threw me off enough to where I'm going to practice swim/MTB bricks this summer.

* Depth perception on the bike was really odd. The sun is most likely low or at a weird angle and you could have shadows. This made my MTB segment a bit "interesting". So maybe don't wear your super dark lenses to race in.

* I used flat pedals on my MTB (its just easier/better for me). I ride in my trail running shoes (the grip is nice to have on the pedals and if you have to push your bike up some hills). This also makes for easy transitions.

* When to pass on the MTB is up to the person in front. If someone wants to pass you, they need to ask your permission. You then find the first safe spot to pull over (or dismount) and let them by.
2016-06-06 5:42 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

for those of you who wanted to know - Xterra Laguna Beach Triathlon race report.

its in the books. my first ever. it was a rough and taxing event, thats for sure. be prepared to climb, climb, climb!!!! oh man, and then be ready to climb some more!

Laguna Beach Tri was a lot of fun, but man i was unprepared for so much climbing (being as mountain bike was not my strong point - compared to road bike). today i have muscles that hurt in areas that i didn't know i had muscles!!

the swim is awesome. nice beach. nothing that most of us probably haven't already done. its a wave start for everyone in the long course. your swim time is stopped once you enter bike transition away from the beach (ankle chip). 

the bike is like an action movie that starts strong early and does not disappoint. you hit the first hill almost immediately. it is miles and miles of climbing.  lots of room for passing (or getting passed). only one section that is single track and technical (if you have not pre-ran, watch out, there are some large rocks that want to eat your wheel for breakfast). the "elevator", as everyone kept calling it, is a fast steep downhill section. make sure your brakes are up to par for this one, and if you have your choice on where to fall ,do not make it here. i do have conflicting reports on the elevations. strava says in the range of 2500 feet or so, but my garmin says 3300 feet.  my legs said they were both full of crap and we climbed hundreds of thousands of feet!! 

the run was fun, kinda. kinda because my legs were so friken over it after the bike. my quads were protesting and had closed the doors to let the hams come in. it took about 2 miles before the hamstrings were finally allowed to attend the party. i felt good enough to run (not speed walk anymore) after that. nothing exiting about the trail run, just graded roads. i recorded 1100 feet of climb in the 6.7 miles we ran.

sitting at home writing this, legs sore, really sore, i would totally recommend it to anyone wanting to try it. i was totally undertrained on the hill work, but still managed to finish and smile for the cameras. 

Ricardo

2016-06-06 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
great job !
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first Xterra - need newbie help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit

Started by sdl135
Views: 1509 Posts: 4

2008-05-20 8:02 AM nevergivin

newbie needs help

Started by ballerandrew
Views: 901 Posts: 10

2007-12-06 7:38 PM ballerandrew

Newbie needs help!

Started by rhodespedal
Views: 915 Posts: 9

2007-04-08 1:13 PM So Fresh So Clean

Extreme Newbie needing help

Started by buckeye66
Views: 663 Posts: 2

2006-02-27 2:27 PM vortmax

newbie needs help on running...

Started by shawn barr
Views: 673 Posts: 8

2005-08-22 5:02 PM esparkhu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
comments : 1
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.