General Discussion Triathlon Talk » little uneasy swimming now Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-31 11:10 PM

Subject: little uneasy swimming now
This is where I swim every weekend. I was there that morning from 7:30 to 8:30 training for my 2nd HIM. I'm a little less motivated to go swimming there this weekend. I may have to find a pool

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beach-717631-shark-woman.html

Edited by dworth 2016-05-31 11:11 PM

2016-06-01 6:06 AM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: little uneasy swimming now

Originally posted by dworth This is where I swim every weekend. I was there that morning from 7:30 to 8:30 training for my 2nd HIM. I'm a little less motivated to go swimming there this weekend. I may have to find a pool http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beach-717631-shark-woman.html

Yeah, I kinda had the same thought.  More than a little unnerving when you turn on the morning news and their talking about a shark attack in the same water you were just in a few hours before.

2016-06-01 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Me too, it was just discovered there are nile crocs in FL. Yikes!!!!
2016-06-01 10:58 AM

The odds of getting eaten by a shark are really low already. Now that somebody got bit, the odds are even lower.

Unless of course he's still hungry.
2016-06-01 11:24 AM
in reply to: wmurphy

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by wmurphy

The odds of getting eaten by a shark are really low already. Now that somebody got bit, the odds are even lower.

Unless of course he's still hungry.

This may be true... but as odds go your chances of getting bit by a shark in a pool should basically be zero.

I won't say absolutely zero since I want to account for crazy redneck headlines "Man releases shark in backyard salt pool, bites son." I do live in the Midwest after all.
2016-06-01 11:25 AM

"In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack."

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/sharks1.html

2016-06-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Originally posted by yazmaster

"In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack."

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/sharks1.html

stick to pool swimming = zero chance of shark attack.
2016-06-01 1:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by dworth This is where I swim every weekend. I was there that morning from 7:30 to 8:30 training for my 2nd HIM. I'm a little less motivated to go swimming there this weekend. I may have to find a pool http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beach-717631-shark-woman.html

Semi local swimmer as well, but in LA County (same sharks tho).

We've had lots of juvenile GW sightings the last couple years, which are considered generally safe as they aren't really apex predators yet (rays and other small animals), we did have one "attack" in manhattan beach couple years back but it was a shark that was fighting a fisherman's line, so not really an attack IMO.

This one is a bit more disturbing though.  The docs estimate the size of the shark to be 10 foot, which is definitely not a juvenile.....   And while it still seems to be a case of mistaken identity (bite to see if it's a sea lion and let go), that's not an introduction I want.

I'm usually more blase about shark "attacks" and the risk as they often turn out to have other factors, or not be attacks at all (i.e. kayak fisherman dangling their legs over the side while reeling in sharks or bloody fish).  Probably mostly just to justify wanting to swim in the ocean 

But this one, from what I know, does give me a bit of pause.  I'll still be in the ocean Saturday though.

2016-06-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

My old coach told me a story of racing in Australia and seeing sharks swimming down below the group. That has to be a little unnerving.

In this case, I agree with the bite and let go being a case of mistaken identity. So can we help ourselves by wearing non-seal colored wetsuits? Don't animals associate neon colors with poisonous and such? How about neon wetsuits? Or are sharks colorblind?
2016-06-02 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

If you get killed by a shark while swimming, you will make the national news.  If you get taken out by a car on your ride, you might make the local news if it's a slow day.  So, at least we'll all be remembering what a great person you were before the shark has even finished digesting you.

Now, please excuse me while I head out on my run into mountain lion territory, or maybe I'll head the other way where there's some bear scat on the trail.

2016-06-02 10:07 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If your in the ocean (and bay many times) there are sharks in the water near you.

It does not bother me at all, if the water were crystal clear and I could see them it would take some getting used to. We taste like crap to sharks they really don't want to sink their teeth into us.

Gators and Crocs on the other hand, they like anything and everything. If they are in the water I am not, unless it's a triathlon they pick just pick off one or two of the slow people in the back

2016-06-02 11:48 AM
in reply to: mike761

Freediver/spearo for 30 years.

Very in touch with the dive community.

There are many, many, many many more gws around now than a couple decades ago. You used to hear about a spearo getting buzzed once every year or so by one big enough to eat him/her, now it's almost a downright common occurence. They have rebounded very nicely thanks to their protected status and the MMPA protecting their food (GWS population growth curve almost exactly matches the curve of the sea lions and seals, just a few years behind).

The good news is that if you OW swim in the ocean, you've already been looked at and not bit. The bad news is all it takes is one curious juvie.

Don't get me wrong, I still dive blue water as often as I can.
2016-06-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
If it's on the news, it's not going to happen to you. In order for something to make it on the news, it has to be exceedingly rare, otherwise it wouldn't be news worthy. So anything you see on the news...don't worry about it.

If you're worried about someone or something killing you, statistically speaking, it's going to be your spouse!

ETA: this was all stolen from a very interesting TED Talk about risk and perception. I'll see if I can find a link to it. I don't want anyone to think I'm more clever than I am.

Edited by 3mar 2016-06-02 2:48 PM
2016-06-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar If it's on the news, it's not going to happen to you. In order for something to make it on the news, it has to be exceedingly rare, otherwise it wouldn't be news worthy. So anything you see on the news...don't worry about it. If you're worried about someone or something killing you, statistically speaking, it's going to be your spouse! ETA: this was all stolen from a very interesting TED Talk about risk and perception. I'll see if I can find a link to it. I don't want anyone to think I'm more clever than I am.

Talk to me after you've swam at dawn in the pacific ocean, all alone, on a dark and cloudy morning, 1/2 mile offhsore, and a large grey shape comes at you quickly from below... and it's a large bottlenose... and you've sh&* your pants......  

I totally agree with the risk assessment and odds and blah blah blah, and I'll still be swimming in the pacific couple times a week and diving.  But avoiding getting eaten alive (or just tasted) is a very old, very primal fear.  Rational odds assessment and primitive survival instincts do not operate in the same part of the brain.

I honestly don't think it will ever happen to me as the odds are so low, I don't think that's denial.  I've been swimming and diving in the ocean since Jaws came out and before.  But if it does I hope I survive because that will be one bitchin' scar story to tell at bars!

Show me the way to go home.....

2016-06-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I had a ~6-foot reef shark swim straight up to my face and turn abruptly when it was a couple feet away during a dive in Hawaii once.  My wife was watching and thought I was a goner.  That's about as close to any shark-looking critter as I ever want to get.  I agree, the thought of being eaten by a large predator is a primal fear. 

If I were a regular ocean swimmer off that shore, I would probably take a break from it for a while.  The shark most likely moved on far away within a 24-hour period from that attack, but logic be damned when it comes to being dinner for a fish.

Edited by SevenZulu 2016-06-02 5:27 PM
2016-06-03 6:07 AM

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by 3mar If it's on the news, it's not going to happen to you. In order for something to make it on the news, it has to be exceedingly rare, otherwise it wouldn't be news worthy. So anything you see on the news...don't worry about it. If you're worried about someone or something killing you, statistically speaking, it's going to be your spouse! ETA: this was all stolen from a very interesting TED Talk about risk and perception. I'll see if I can find a link to it. I don't want anyone to think I'm more clever than I am.

Talk to me after you've swam at dawn in the pacific ocean, all alone, on a dark and cloudy morning, 1/2 mile offhsore, and a large grey shape comes at you quickly from below... and it's a large bottlenose... and you've sh&* your pants......  

I totally agree with the risk assessment and odds and blah blah blah, and I'll still be swimming in the pacific couple times a week and diving.  But avoiding getting eaten alive (or just tasted) is a very old, very primal fear.  Rational odds assessment and primitive survival instincts do not operate in the same part of the brain.

I honestly don't think it will ever happen to me as the odds are so low, I don't think that's denial.  I've been swimming and diving in the ocean since Jaws came out and before.  But if it does I hope I survive because that will be one bitchin' scar story to tell at bars!

Arent dusk and dawn the worst times to swim since it's even harder to see at those times? And why are you swimming 1/2 mile off shore?

2016-06-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Originally posted by TriTampa2

Arent dusk and dawn the worst times to swim since it's even harder to see at those times? And why are you swimming 1/2 mile off shore?
They're actually beautiful times to swim. The light is nice and in the early am it's glassy. Clear goggles if you need to see much more than your hand in front of your face. We swim the span between two piers, half mile is only 900 ish yards, sounds further than it is (6 -7 minute swim)
2016-06-03 10:17 AM

They're actually beautiful times to swim. The light is nice and in the early am it's glassy. Clear goggles if you need to see much more than your hand in front of your face. We swim the span between two piers, half mile is only 900 ish yards, sounds further than it is (6 -7 minute swim)

sorry I meant worst times relating to the risk of shark attacks?
2016-06-03 12:07 PM

User image

That's what they say.  But IMO locally here it raises the risk from 1 in a million to 1 in 999,000. 

2016-06-03 1:08 PM

That's what they say.  But IMO locally here it raises the risk from 1 in a million to 1 in 999,000. 

so you're telling me there's a chance?

(jimcarrey.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jimcarrey.jpg (46KB - 2 downloads)
2016-06-03 1:17 PM

User image

Haha..  basically!  There is always a chance!

We've had three attacks on swimmers in Southern California in the last 6 years or so.  one in San Diego County, one in Orange County (both well south of here) and one in LA County.  SD was about 8 in the a.m. well after dawn.   Orange was at 4 pm, well before dusk.  The local one was on a sunny afternoon (but was by a shark hooked by a fisherman on the pier we swim too, so this one doesn't really count). 

I think generally it's worse to swim in murky waters/at rivermouths, as there are higher incidents of mistaken identity there. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » little uneasy swimming now Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Less and less "hometown" triathlons?? Pages: 1 2

Started by lkct01234
Views: 2002 Posts: 27

2014-07-09 11:24 PM AdventureBear

Swimming Question: Less Strokes = Less Energy and Less Speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 3925 Posts: 29

2009-07-29 12:59 PM sand101

Just me and a little less of that

Started by renegadebuddhacoach
Views: 895 Posts: 6

2005-07-08 8:48 AM sanjana

Swim distance: feel a little dumb asking this...

Started by Ellie
Views: 2390 Posts: 12

2005-03-28 11:31 AM infosteward

Interesting swim problem (to me at least <G>)

Started by joscon
Views: 1165 Posts: 13

2004-05-06 11:45 AM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.