General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to the Hershey area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-01 8:27 PM

Subject: Moving to the Hershey area
Hello!

I am moving to the Hershey area soon and I haven't had great luck finding where the locals swim, bike and run. I saw that there is a trail that runs about 12 miles and travels through Hershey that looked pretty nice and there are some nice trails within a reasonable drive. However, I can't find a pool that has a definitive lap swim listed on their website. Any ideas?

Also, where do people bike?

Thanks.

2016-06-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: gggg

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Moving to the Hershey area

Can't help you with swimming near Hershey (I swim in Lancaster), but there are plenty of options for running and biking.  There is the trail you mentioned in Hershey which is paved and nice, or not too far outside of Hershey is the Conewago/Lebanon Valley Rail Trail (s).  The rail trail is one, long, mostly flat, continuous trail which changes names as you run from Lancaster County into Lebanon County. http://www.lvrailtrail.com/maps.htm   I think it is around 20+ miles one way, going from route 230 in Elizabethtown to Lebanon city.  It's a great place to run or do a more casual ride on a MTB or cross bike (gravel/crushed stone surface).  It's mostly shaded, a bonus this time of year.

Road biking - there are a ton of country roads with less traffic in the area.  322, which is a fairly busy road is a popular route as well because it mostly has wide shoulders.  Road running - well, most anywhere you feel comfortable.

2016-06-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I thought of another thing last night while riding: check out MapMyRide for bike routes.  There is an ability to search routes based on mileage and location.  I've found some new ride ideas this way in the past.

Also, if you like trail running or mountain biking there are a fair amount of trails that aren't too far of a drive.

Edited by melbo55 2016-06-03 10:12 AM
2016-06-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Great! Thanks for the info.
2016-08-04 3:28 PM

I swim at the Friendship Center in Lower Paxton Township, Harrisburg, which is about 15 minutes from Hershey. Almost always have open lanes for free swim at anytime of day. As for running, that path you were talking about is a great option and I always see people running there. I have been doing some bike rides out and around 743 towards Elizabethtown. Check out some of my routes on Strava, user Zack Kahley, but really anywhere off 743 on either side of Hershey has some roads with almost no traffic and some good rolling terrain. I see this post is from about 2 months ago, so I am sure you have found some routes, but hope this helps.
2016-08-14 11:34 PM
in reply to: Zkahley420

Thanks for the suggestions!

2016-08-19 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Central Penn Fitness Center is off the Union Deposit Road exit of I83 on the east side of Harrisburg.  They have a nice aquatics facility.  Gold's Gym Hershey/Hummelstown also has a pool.

For open water swimming, most triathletes in the area swim at the Quaker Race Day Use Area of Gifford Pinchot State Park in northern York County.  If you can swim there, you can handle any water quality conditions.  

2017-01-08 7:13 AM

I have not been on this forum in a long time. I know this thread is older but wanted to add my 2 cents. Swimming: Hershey Rec center has a master group that swims at 5:30 ever Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Biking: Most people bike south of 322 towards Gretna and Lancaster. Running: Pretty much anywhere except the major roads i.e. 322 and 422.
2017-01-22 5:09 PM

User image

New user

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
There are a couple places to swim. Hershey Has a really nice pool. They have a large outdoor and a indoor/outdoor. Also Gold's in Hershey/Hummelstown. I swim there sometimes but mostly swim now at LA Fitness in Lower Paxton Township.

For running there is a path that goes from Hummelstown through Hershey past the hospital. Out and back is 8 miles. There's running along the Susquehanna River and around Wildwood Park. Thats a hilly 3 miles but nice. For long endurance runs I ran the Conewago Trail from Route 230. It's a nice dirt/gravel path with mile markers. Up to Gretna and back is just over 20 miles I think.

As for ridding, there are all kinds of nice roads. I agree south of Hershey is the best. One popular road is Route 443 from the river to Memorial Lake and back. A lot of tri riders like it because it only has very small climbs and can be fast. I live on it and I see people all the time. Let me know when you're here and I can help you out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to the Hershey area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hershey Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 2320 Posts: 6

2012-08-18 10:54 PM triitoncemaybetwice

Moving to Philadelphia area

Started by japewang
Views: 1295 Posts: 10

2011-10-27 8:26 AM sgillen

Hershey Half Marathon

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1395 Posts: 3

2011-09-03 9:25 PM TheClaaaw

Hershey Half Marathon - Sunday, October 3rd Pages: 1 2

Started by Pector55
Views: 6861 Posts: 29

2010-10-04 8:29 PM Pector55

Hershey/Harrisburg area

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 886 Posts: 6

2007-03-20 7:37 AM markg72
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Lora109
comments : 9
I got about a minute into it and, despite bracing myself against it for months, I panicked. I could not get my breath. I said, "I can't do this, I can't do this."

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.