General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
Score This
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 27/58
Age Group = F65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:20; oatmeal, yogurt, raisins, beet juice, & COFFEE for breakfast. Picked my friend up at 4:20. Learned the hard way that rural gas stations turn their pumps off when they're closed, but we did find gas in time before we ran out.. Always learning something new.
Arrived by 6:00, ate a Hammer bar; got registered, marked, etc; transition set up.
Event warmup:

Intended to ride my bike just enough to check equipment & scope out only the beginning & end of the course. Going up a small hill the bike felt weird, like it wasn't going anywhere. I looked down & it took my mind a moment to register "Oh, I've thrown my chain." While I was weighing this observation against my experience that this bike NEVER EVER throws a chain, I noticed that I had in fact come to a complete stop while pedaling and was s.l.o.w.l.y falling over.Boom. Not hurt, but it gave me another thing to watch for in the race. (It never happened again, and I can't make it happen on the stand.)
Got bike reracked just before Transition area closed at 7:15. Did my ordinary Maffetone run warmup: 5 minutes easy walk, 5 min brisk walk, 5 min easy jog, three 30-sec accelerations with a minute in between; then 10 more minutes walk. My HR wanted to zoom up during jog--must've been adrenaline--but I walked a few more steps to keep it down. Forgot to do my dynamic stretches though.
Wetsuited up & went down to the lake. We were given maybe 5 minutes to warmup in the water, not really enough to be useful but I did get in and swim 100 or so.

Swim
  • 23m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a hard swim. It was quite windy and the chop made it hard to sight: I had to pull my head up fairly high to see over the waves, and doing this quite often hampered my ability to get into a good rythmic groove.
The swim wave was very small, not more than 15 swimmers. I lost contact with the group, maybe because I tried not to kill it in the first 100 yds, maybe because I got tangled up a little bit with the first buoy and buoy cable. I had to sight on the widely spaced buoys, not on the other swimmers.
On the last leg, which was into the wind, I finally got into a good swim groove and sighted less. However, I guess I was off course a little because one of the kayaks had to herd me over. My pacing must have been somewhat ok because by this time I was passing a number of swimmers.
Even though the conditions were hard for everyone, most did better than me; I was only on the 24th %ile of all women, much worse than ranking for the whole race.
I was moderately tired when I exited the water, but had enough zip left to trot up the 29 steps to the T area. Got my wetsuit pulled down to my waist before I reached my bike but forgot to remove my earplugs. Didn't notice until I was done with my run.
What would you do differently?:

At this venue, where the buoys are few & far between, it would be worth it to burn a match to stay with the group for sighting purposes, whether or not I could catch a draft.
I'd also allow a little more space to go around the turn buoy in order to avoid the cable, especially In windy conditions.
In choppy water, try to time my sighting with sensing when I'm on the crest of a wave. I probably didn't have to sight as often as I did either, but I was nervous about going off course which I have done in the past in this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

It must've been pretty good, my time was 6th fastest among all women, even with a suit hangup on the chip strap . My method of downing a quick 100 calories is to use a small flask with gel dissolved 50/50 with water. I can squirt one gel's worth down my throat in about a second and leave another serving in the flask for the run.

This timing company is using a new type of chip strap; it's made of foam and kind of puffy. Even though I wore it under my wetsuit leg, it slipped down during the swim and then my wetsuit got hung up on it when I was stripping the leg.
Later I learned that they are throw-away items so next time I encounter this type I'll take one home and experiment & practice to see how to prevent that from happening.
Bike
  • 47m 34s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I was trying to pace this race by power, with the first half at 90-95% ftp and the second half at 95-100% ftp. This was hard to gauge as I rode because the course was nothing but ups and downs, although not major hills. Keeping this in mind generally had me pedaling not as hard on the uphills as I might otherwise. I generally work pretty briskly on the downhills anyway, but it's difficult to work it hard enough, and if it's a faster hill I need to keep my eye on the road anyway, not the Garmin. The average power for both halves was nearly the same, at about 93%, although I did feel like I was working harder during the second part.
Nutrition: about 100 calories (Heed) in one water bottle; part of another water bottle, plus a couple of Endurolyte caps.
Rank was 66th %ile of all women, so by time alone it was the strongest part of my race. I don't think I could have gone any harder without negatively impacting my run.

There is a short steep road leading to transition which is enforced as a "no-pedaling zone" for safety. Because I had slowed just before reaching the top of that in order to get my feet out of my shoes, it seemed to me that I had to coast down that zone at a very slow speed. Next time I'll get my feet out well in advance and then pick up some speed again pedaling with my feet on top of my shoes. It might gain me just a few seconds, but still...
Beyond that, keep training with the power meter, especially on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

All good. Slipped my (no-tie) shoes on, grabbed my number, small water bottle, gel flask, & ran.
17th among all women. There will always be more women beating me in T2 because some don't change shoes.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a bit knackered when I started and noticed that my HR was immediately higher up in zone 4 than I wanted. Walked 15 paces and it came down a few beats; then when I resumed running it rose a bit more gradually which felt better. Then I was able to have a good HR progression, and splits which were close to negative. I ran hard, wanting to quit but calling on all my inspirational models and mantras. I thought I would die when it came time for the kick and had only a little more to give.
My time was 12 seconds slower than last year, but my place among all women, 46th %ile, was 1% better.

I had my second serving of gel in my flask in my pocket, but forgot about it. Maybe if I'd have drunk it I would have felt better. Or worse.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 10 minutes. Then I got my recovery drink & recovery bar and took them down to the water, where I sat with my knees & ankles submerged in lieu of icing. It felt plenty cold, but I should have submerged my butt as well because it was a bit sore later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hadn't practiced or thought about sighting enough.
My training was interrupted during the last week before the race because I hurt my back the Monday prior and had to skip or water down several workouts.

Event comments:

Although my overall time was almost 4 minutes slower than the same race last year (altogether due to the swim) my rank among all women was much improved: 53rd %ile as opposed to 45%ile last year. That means I was faster than more than half of all women, the vast majority of whom are 20 years younger than me. This makes me feel as if my hard work is paying off.
The weather forecast was for rain all day, with thunderstorms starting at 9:00 or 9:30. Before entering the water we were given emphatic instructions on how the kayakers would signal us to get out of the water, and how if we saw lightning on the bike we should "find shelter" and wait to be picked up. Given all of that, I was not optimistic about doing a complete race and started thinking of it as just practice. Amazingly, we had no thunderstorm and even the serious rain waited until everyone was done.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:14 | 820 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 44/58
Performance: Below average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Trapezoidal; not a lot of buoys compared to some courses. Wind favorable on the longest leg, dead against us on the other long leg, which is the home stretch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:34 | 13.8 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Overall: 21/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, beautiful country, 2 u-turns and a couple of corners.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:00 | 03.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 31/58
Performance: Average
1st mile: HR 141 (z 4); pace 9:29 2nd mike HR 144 (z4); pace 9:34 3rd mile HR 147 (z5a); pace 9:27 last .1 mile HR 151 (z5b); pace 8:48
Course: Flat out & back. Beautiful views of the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-12 7:16 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by ok2try
Views: 1169 Posts: 2

2015-06-14 7:50 PM QueenZipp

Started by lextek
Views: 792 Posts: 1

2013-08-04 7:07 AM lextek

Started by mollypocket
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2013-06-07 2:55 PM mollypocket

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by sbradley11
Views: 1076 Posts: 1

2013-06-04 6:46 AM sbradley11

Started by mramateur
Views: 1081 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 12:59 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.