Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 29s
Overall Rank = 352/500
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Normal routine: POM juice, frozen peaches and banana smoothie and half a bagel with PB. Trip to the throne, packing the car, and I'm good to go. With a 9am start, wake-up wasn't quite so jarringly early.

Still, this was a near thing. Weather reports from a week out through to the night before indicated we were due for a nasty day on the bay. Chance of rain varied from 60% - 100%, and every report indicated severe thunderstorms. Accordingly, there was a good chance I was going to take a pass on the event. It was only the weather report at 6am, indicating no rain likelihood during race hours, that pulled the trigger. In the end, there was no rain whatsoever during the event and we saw essentially nothing at home.
Event warmup:

Typical, except I didn't do any practice swimming. Got my packet, got set up, walked to the start, put on the suit and got to it.
Swim
  • 27m 2s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

750m was the longest tri swim in my race history, a level I've always worried over. Didn't have to worry about it in PA/NJ because most sprint swim legs there are 400m; not here in MD. I've picked up my swimming volume since about a year ago in order to prep for the longer distance, at least psychologically (with improved swimming being a hoped for by-product that hasn't necessarily come to pass). So this tri was all about trying that longer swim distance and seeing how I felt about it.

And when we arrived dockside for my first view of the course, I can admit I didn't feel very good at all. First off, seeing it laid out was daunting. Second, the wind was blowing so hard that the whole harbor was a choppy mess; there weren't any whitecaps or obvious rolling waves, but it was rough out there. There was a sailboat docked nearby and its little wind propeller was spinning so fast it might as well have been a solid disk. Even the race starter said the chop was about as bad as it gets, and admitted our start line put us right into the worst of it. Turned out he was wrong; the worst was on the long back leg parallel to the dock; rolling to my left side to breathe was pretty much an adventure each time. I never took on any water, but man, it was tough; I'm surprised I was able to maintain a decent line. Can't imagine doing this without a wetsuit.

I'd planned to take 11-12 strokes, grab a quick sight, then do 11-12 more and take a longer "breathing sight", grabbing 4-5 breaths. Not sure why - I'm thinking because it was so choppy - but I only managed to do that 2-3 times; the rest of the leg I always took a "breathing sight".

I believe the swim time includes a long-ish run/walk to transition, and it certainly includes an awkward climb out of the water onto the dock...thank goodness for the volunteers there to help us out...not sure I could've managed without that helping hand. I'm thinking I must've finished my swim at around 26 minutes or so, pretty much according to plan. Given the chop and wind we dealt with, I can't help but wonder how much better this would've been on a calmer day. I have to be pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Follow the plan more explicitly with respect to alternating quick sights with longer breathing sights.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Didn't realize I lollygagged this much in T1. Didn't seem like this long.

I will admit to being a little hazy after my longest tri swim. Doubt I'd do much different.
Bike
  • 49m 12s
  • 14.35 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Generally easy bike ride, mostly flat, a couple of gentle slopes. Pretty country too. Never had concerns about getting lost, and the mile markers were spot on. Good ride with the tri pack, everyone well behaved and having fun. Early on I passed a lady, I was afraid I was a little close because somebody was close on my left too, and she made a kind of surprised noise. Not sure if I scared her, but as I got past she said, "Have a good race." Still not sure if she was being sarcastic, but I gave her a quick wave and said, "You too." She thanked me, so hopefully it was all good. Another lady and I swapped positions several times, to the point she actually commented on it with a laugh, said we were "playing leapfrog".

I certainly didn't feel like I was goofing off but my power numbers were pretty darn low, much lower than I'd have expected (AP/NP 124/131). And when I pushed harder, to the point where it seemed I was at an appropriate wattage level (150-160) I could feel the sting flowing into the legs, so I'd back off. Overall, it felt like a reasonable effort. But the power numbers and final pace surprised me. Little bothered at how this shook out, but I'm square in the middle of the pack where I would expect to be.

As I indicated, effort level felt reasonable enough, not too hard, but certainly not goofing off. But since I'd not ridden much since Cascade Lakes Tri (once?) due to our trip, it's possible I was a little out of shape, bike-wise. Been fighting off a minor cold too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Typical bike-run transition. Took some time to grab a drink. Right shoe, as always, took a bit long to get on right, but then I headed right out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 34m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, a terrible run. Within 4-5 minutes I knew this was going to be bad. I know it wasn't that I went too hard on the bike because the effort there just wasn't that hard. I didn't have high expectations for this run because I hadn't done much since Cascade Lake, running maybe three times, so I did feel a bit out of running shape. Even so, I didn't think it would effect me this much, to the point I was so out of breath I'd be reduced to walking quite a bit throughout. High humidity just made it worse.

TSW suggested maybe it was the cold and the phlegm issues I'd been experiencing; given these hadn't been that bad I'd not given them any thought, but now I'm wondering.

I do normal training runs that aren't this slow, so something was definitely amiss. Again, I did feel a bit out of condition due to a light running schedule after my last tri and the trip we took, so that was definitely part of it. Maybe being slightly sick impacted me too. In short, not much I could've done given I'd intentionally backed off training after Cascade Lake just to give the body a break.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so done in I had to sit and then just lay back in the grass and hope the dizziness and light-headedness passed. One awesome perk of the event was a cold towel handed to us at the finish line. Laid that across my forehead and neck as I tried to recover. TSW grabbed me a water which I gulped down. After I felt a little better, I grabbed a Coke and we sat inside the big party tent they had set up; ate half a banana too. Eventually the dizziness and sickness eased, enough that a trial bite of post-race pizza ended up being two slices! But boy, I did not feel at all good at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was OK, bike was disappointing but not that bad, and the run was just flat awful. So the bad run is what laid me out and precluded a better performance. Part of this was due to a comparative lack of activity as I allowed myself some time off after the last tri in mid-May. I think my health, primarily the impact of a cold and related "phlegminess" might explain the rest, given how I felt afterwards.

In the end, though, I'm satisfied with the overall performance since I came in under my hoped for time (1:57). This race was mainly about doing a longer swim and seeing how I handled that, both physically and mentally. And given I did OK in that respect, I'm pleased overall.

Event comments:

Easily one of the best races I've had the pleasure of participating in. VTS/MTS does a tremendous job in all aspects, from packet pick-up (no line at all), to having plenty of toilets, to post race activities. Would highly recommend them to anyone, and hope to do more of theirs soon.

Last updated: 2016-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:02 | 750 meters | 03m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 416/500
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Large square, buoys on left, from one point on dock, out to near the Rock Hall Harbor entrance and across, then back to another point on the dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:12 | 14.35 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Overall: 236/500
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Out and back, one big loop with only 3-4 turns. Wind behind us until the last 4-5 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:44 | 03.1 miles | 11m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 391/500
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat out and back route through Rock Hall residential areas.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-13 4:17 PM

Subject: Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon

2016-06-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5186736

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon
Nice race! Sorry you didn't have the run you wanted, but congrats on conquering the longer swim!
2016-06-17 7:43 AM
in reply to: #5186736

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon
Glad to hear you enjoyed the race and the bike course mileage was dead on. I staffed the bike course at this race.

Great job on the swim, I heard from many that it was rough one out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock Hall Sprint Triathlon

Started by snyder2165
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2013-06-11 6:08 AM snyder2165

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1415 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 12:03 PM dmiller5

Started by Viyoung
Views: 1225 Posts: 3

2012-06-05 8:21 AM kenj

Started by Deborahfg
Views: 993 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 2:59 PM Deborahfg

Rock Hall Triathlon

Started by trotpntbll
Views: 1005 Posts: 1

2011-06-26 1:20 PM trotpntbll
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 23, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
It started like this: In the third week of August 1976, three things happened that altered my life forever. And they all took place within a mile of where we sit tonight.

date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.